Discussion Does Tollywood ever make movies with good social message?

After going through this whole thread, it feels like this discussion is moving towards defending what we love/believe with what we have rather than receiving/accepting constructive criticism, which should always be appreciated.

Everything that an industry produces can not please everyone. Every content making industry needs to hang onto commercial contents for benefits. The films that travels the other path, you all know what happens to them on financial side. It's not theatre where Art is above all, it is business and has to be dealt that way.

I have been watching movies on Goldmines or similar providers for many many years, when they were pretty amature and we could hear original sound tracks in between. Yes I know I am quite old by now 😅. The viewership of these commercial movies are always higher, so they are predominantly dubbing these contents only.
And good movies are there in every industry along with the mass ones.
Tamil industry produced movies like 'I' , 'Aparichit' as well as many mass movies. Similarly we have 'Hemlok Society' in Bengali but have a mass entertainer like 'Paglu'.

In Telugu, I will suggest you Agent Sai Srinivasa Athreya .

Last edited:
The one I suggested is not a movie with much social thoughts or messages. But it will be quite a different experience for you regarding Telugu movies.

Tamil industry produced movies like 'I' , 'Aparichit' as well as many mass movies. Similarly we have 'Hemlok Society' in Bengali but have a mass entertainer like 'Paglu'.

In Telugu, I will suggest you Agent Sai Srinivasa Athreya .
Just as one Tollywood (Telugu) has been mostly known for massy action movies for a long time, as a result of which different movies like Bharat Ane Nenu and Shyam Singha Roy go unnoticed, similarly the other Tollywood (Bengali) was always known for artistic Satyajit Ray kind of movies for decades. But now Bengali stars have been making action thrillers for several years now. All industries have all types of movies and we should appreciate them.

But I think Malayalam and Marathi are two more intellectually inclined industries since we hardly hear of any action thrillers from those two. Instead we get award-winning films like The Great Indian Kitchen from Kerala and historical dramas like Pawankhind from Maharashtra. I’m not saying there aren’t commercial movies, but this is the reputation that those two industries have, for better or worse. And they are living up to it well.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock