Doordarshan to acquire sports rights, begins exercise to beef up DD Sports

praks001 said:
More than 95% people in India don't have access to HD tv or high speed unlimited internet. So it's totally foolish to telecast EPL only in HD.
inams_sam said:
Totally agreed bro. Star must show EPL in SD channels also as most people don't have HD TV or HD connection

You're misunderstanding me, guys. I'm not saying epl should not be broadcast in sd. See in my prev comment I'm saying about broadcasting in the other 4hd channels, and if they broadcast in those 4 hd channels, it'd be automatically broadcast in the 4 sd channels as well, because they are mirror feeds of the same 4 channels, isn't it.

Why I'm saying that snatching cricket from star is better than snatching football is:

1.Cricket vs football in hd/sd: DD sports doesn't have an hd channel. Moreover, the sd channel is also of 4:3 ratio, not 16:9. All sports content worldwide are broadcast in 16:9 ratio. So, it needs to be converted to 4:3. But since in football the action is mainly from left to right and vice versa, it is difficult to cut the edges and make it 4:3. Thus the only solution is fitting the 16:9 content to 4:3, which leaves black bars in top and bottom(one of the reasons why football on sd sucks). This would be a nightmarish experience for the hd viewers. But when it comes to cricket, the action is mainly from top to bottom, so the sides can be easily cut without harm(See the ind vs eng test match in ss, then in ss hd to see the diff). So most hd customers wont mind much if it is telecast only on sd, also because dd sports is fta.

2. Multiple big games at the same time: DD has only one sports channel. But in the weekend, epl matches run parallely. Now someone says it can telecast the big team's matches only. But what if two big teams are playing at the same time? Look at the upcoming boxing day for instance, Arsenal vs west brom, and Man Utd vs Sunderkand kick off at the same time! So which one to telecast? 

3. Hitting star where it hurts: Where did this ego from star sports come from? It came from its amount of cricket rights. What are they doing now is, they are airing the same cricket match in two channels giving excuse of audio language(though we can change audio just by pressing a remote button in the same channel!). Take away the cricket broadcast rights from them, what they are left with? Nothing. They'll be forced to show football again!

4. Love of cricket in the country: Lets face it! The love of cricket in India, mainly in rural areas is unmatchable. So, if  on an fta channel dd spors, these rural people get to see the cricket content they mostly miss, they'll be happier than getting epl..

But having said that, star wont be losing any content as of now because it has rights for:
Indian cricket team till 2018,
Icc event till 2022
EPL till 2019
Bundesliga till 2020. 

So its egoistic monopoly will continue for a few years..

Launching an HD Channel is not an issue. Matches played by Indian Cricket Team as well as important matches in the World Cup are anyway broadcasted by DD also. But EPL now is available only to a handful of people in India. If PTV Sports can do this, DD Sports can as well.

praks001 said:
Launching an HD Channel is not an issue. Matches played by Indian Cricket Team as well as important matches in the World Cup are anyway broadcasted by DD also. But EPL now is available only to a handful of people in India. If PTV Sports can do this, DD Sports can as well.

But the real test matches?? What about them? No one day can match the class of real cricket!! And by the way I've no problem with dd sports telecasting epl, I've problem with ONLY dd sportstelecasting epl!! Note the difference...

Y are we arguing, the news says share with DD, it's not just show on DD. So let them share anything. The original content will remain with private broadcasters only

Tha.RP8 said:
Who says star doesn't telecast? They telecast in hd. Though it'd be better if they telecast in the other 4 hd channels as well...

so for a sd viewer there is no telecast...:p

bars on top and bottom are much better than no telecast... and also what sucks is them not telecasting it in sd not the bars

star are now desperately trying to reduce the ever growing popularity of non indian sports (the ones where india is not strong) so that they can make more money from cricket....thats why all non indian sports are switched to a seperate channel dedicated to a small section of audiance...

Shadow said:
so for a sd viewer there is no telecast...:p

When did I say that? Didn't I say I want them to telecast n the other 4 hd chaneels? And doesn't telecast in other 4 hd channels mean it'll automatically telecast in the 4 sd channels as well? C'mon, they are mirror feeds for Gods sake!! 
1=hd1, 2=hd2, 3=hd3, 4=hd4!!!!

rohank3 said:
Y are we arguing, the news says share with DD, it's not just show on DD. So let them share anything. The original content will remain with private broadcasters only

If that happens, it'll be the best thing ever in Indian sports broadcasting!!!

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock