Film on Nirbhaya gang rape to premiere on International Women’s Day

• Thread starter Thread starter Thakur
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 12
  • Views Views: Views 1,669
I think my personal view this interview is to increase the rating of the channel

NEW DELHI: The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Ministry has issued an advisory to all television channels not to broadcast the Nirbhaya documentary by British filmmaker Leslee Udwin.

The advisory, issued late on Tuesday, related to an interview of one of the convicts in the 16 December 2012 Delhi gangrape case.

Incidentally, NDTV 24×7 was to premiere on the occasion of International Women’s Day the documentary film ‘India’s Daughter’ giving an insight into the brutal gang rape of a girl in Delhi.

An India–UK co-production, the film is directed and produced by Udwin and co-produced by Dibang. NDTV was to air the documentary at 9 pm on 8 March. Six other countries would be simultaneously broadcasting the documentary.

Earlier on Tuesday, the Delhi Police registered an FIR regarding the controversial interview of a convict in the 16 December gangrape case who said women had only themselves to blame if they attracted male molesters.

The FIR stated that this would fall under the category of a criminal defamation as it intended to assault the modesty of women. The police also moved a Delhi court to stop the telecast of the documentary.

In the interview, bus driver Mukesh Singh said women are “far more responsible for rape” than men and that had the girl and her friend not fought back, the gang would not have inflicted the beating.

This led to the girl’s death later. Udwin had interviewed Mukesh, who was awarded the death sentence for the rape and murder of a 23-year-old paramedical student.

Read more at:
I&B issues advisory against telecast of Nirbhaya documentary | TelevisionPost.com

Back
Top Bottom