"Janam TV" gets MIB permission after two years

shawl_who

Contributor
Reaction score
Janam TV gets MIB permission after two years | TelevisionPost.com

MUMBAI: After a long wait, Thrissur-based Janam Multimedia has finally got the TV channel licence from the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (MIB) to launch Malayalam news and entertainment channel Janam TV. Janam Multimedia’s TV channel licence was stuck for more than two years as the previous government had refused to give security clearance to the company on the ground that some of its promoters had links with Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). I&B Minister Prakash Javadekar had earlier said that his government would speed up the process of granting a TV channel licence to Janam TV. “When I was reviewing applications, I came across Janam TV’s file and what I saw in the file shocked me to the core. The [UPA] government denied application just because some of the promoters had links with the RSS,” Javadekar had said. P Viswaroopan is the managing director of the channel while Rajesh G Pillai is the chief operating officer and executive editor. Pillai was earlier assistant VP and news division head at Asianet Satellite Communications. Janam TV’s logo was unveiled in April by Malayalam actor Suresh Gopi. Aiming to fill the vacuum between reality and the common man, the channel promises to play an active role in protecting the nation’s interest by impartial reporting and investigative journalism. The channel requires around Rs 500 million in three phases spanning a period of five years. The promoters have formed a public limited company and are seeking funds from common investors. Janam anticipates a break-even within four/five years and start making profits thereafter.

Read more at: Janam TV gets MIB permission after two years | TelevisionPost.com | TelevisionPost.com

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock