Breaking Sony is in talks to buy a stake in Network18

• Thread starter GJ mit
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 635
  • Views: Views 101,430
2Z9XBuU.jpg

Sony can't change international brand like Nick MTV or CC

If Nick, MTV, VH1 and CC are part of the deal means Viacom is selling the Indian operations of these channels. If so, Sony can re-brand them.
If not part of the deal, then ViacomCBS has to operate these channels on their own.

I feel the IPL was an asset to Sony but it is now a burden or albatross for Star. Sony's sports channels are doing excellently without the IPL and BCCI rights. All that is left is to launch a fifth sports channel, likely Sony Ten 4, after Sony ESPN shut down.
Yes until and unless there is some correction done in the price of ipl rights, it will be a Burden for that network.
Infact after loosing ipl it's not that they haven't done anything of course they bought few of star /Disney pre existing sports properties like ECB rights, Cricket Australia rights and Olympics along with few others and managing sports well

Last edited:
I feel the IPL was an asset to Sony but it is now a burden or albatross for Star. Sony's sports channels are doing excellently without the IPL and BCCI rights. All that is left is to launch a fifth sports channel, likely Sony Ten 4, after Sony ESPN shut down.
Right now in india only star can bear the burden of IPL no other network can afford IPL unless BCCI lower the price of IPL rights

But agree with you sony is doing so well after losing ipl to star

Last edited:
If Nick, MTV, VH1 and CC are part of the deal means Viacom is selling the Indian operations of these channels. If so, Sony can re-brand them.
If not part of the deal, then ViacomCBS has to operate these channels on their own.
Its possible to rebrand. Sony BBC Earth and Sony ESPN are recent examples. But I dont think Sony will do that.

Its possible to rebrand. Sony BBC Earth and Sony ESPN are recent examples. But I dont think Sony will do that.

Different model there.
Sony BBC Earth and Sony ESPN are co owned channels (like 50:50 partners), so logo has both brands.

If Sony owns 74% of Nick, VH1, CC for India (or sub-continent) they get full control to re brand or shut down.
They will be more interested to get access to the content, and use it in their channels like Yay to promote them

Different model there.
Sony BBC Earth and Sony ESPN are co owned channels (like 50:50 partners), so logo has both brands.

If Sony owns 74% of Nick, VH1, CC for India (or sub-continent) they get full control to re brand or shut down.
They will be more interested to get access to the content, and use it in their channels like Yay to promote them
What would be the future of sony pix?Will they sign deals with other studios?Can we expect sony library movies on sony pix?

It's tricky complex deal. ViacomCBS has a deal with network18 for local brands. But also has signed for carry of their international brands. If viacom18 wants to launch channel based on colors they need not get permission from Viacom but Nick Kannada channel as an example is delayed mainly due to viacomcbs not giving permission to expand it to regional contents.

I know but believe it or not i don't see this merger going to be a game changer for the industry. Coming to IPL you can't forget the fact that within one year of IPL (on Star) got more revenues than sony including viewership & that's acceptable because Star is dominant player. But don't you think merging both poorly performing network can make losses for the company?
Buddy honestly speaking u seems to be very unhappy with the announcement of this sony - Viacom merger or u don't want this merger to happen
Yes surely comparing sony - Viacom merger with foxstar /Disney will be foolish thing as the foxstar /Disney merger is a very big merger and holds a very strong position
But if this sony - Viacom merger happens then it will with good news for the viewers only. Atleast competition will a bit more when u compare with earlier situation
Well Viacom is a very small network but still being so network is being able to be strong in some departments is a big thing on its own. Well regarding ur Sony point still they were the most profitable network in 2019 (which u called a poor performing network) and even Viacom isn't making that much losses
IPL wasn't a huge loss, considering the price at which it went now star/Disney is making huge losses from it and its a burden on them now
Sony offsets potential IPL revenue loss with strong FY19 show
Star India reports Rs 1,216-cr loss in FY19

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock