Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10,480
  • Views: Views 1,468,815

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters

Viacom18 announces appointment of Anil Jayaraj as CEO-Sports​

Viacom18 today announced the appointment of Anil Jayaraj as CEO – Sports. ... He has successfully led his team to deliver business performance across multiple sporting events including Indian Premier League, Cricket World Cup, Pro Kabaddi League, Indian Super League among others.

This is exactly what we are seeing with Star in the sports genre and Sony in the Hindi movies genre. No matter how much we talk about their mishandling of the schedules, it is not having any results.

The opposite is the case for Star in Hindi movies and Sony in sports, where they actively listen to viewers on social media and show a variety of programming on their channels of all sorts. Star Gold and co. as well as SPSN in sports have been busy bringing new shows and events. But Star Sports so far has refused to budge from cricket and Sony Max has refused to cut down on showing South movies. After a point what can we do? It will ultimately bring the discussion back to the same place.

Jolly dada, incase of sony in hindi movies genre it is completely possible to change strategy but do not know why they r hesitant to take the big leap... So it is not the case comparable to star sports

In Hindi Movies Genre star / disney giving best possible outcome , same is the case with sony sports. In both these cases they have flexible room available to cater to audience demand

What we can do is understand business dynamics for each broadcaster in respective genres and share feedback accordingly for balanced content

Me everytime I heard some weird lecture on Star Sports and how mainstream sports like F1, Wimbledon are niche. Growing up even saw pool air on this same Star Sports. Nothing could be more these. For individuals like these we do not flourish in any other sports.

Waiting for the day when someone lectures how our national sports hockey is niche. So select few match should air.
44KBJC9.gif

Just because you don't have personal understanding of these events. Doesn't make these niche. If these are so niche. Why did broadcaster buy the rights? You wouldn't accept flaws in the broadcaster. Fine, don't waste my time. Acquisition of smaller viewership are small as well. Somehow Star always does us favour. While Sony and Viacom. Heck, even Discovery buys rights without it's fanboys making much fuss.

Bro, be more receptive to facts.... I did not give lecture but shared details what is present strategy of both networks and what r limitations or scope in both cases. Niche means having comparatively lesser audience. Plz understand the days u saw all sports on star sports is impossible to return, those days content cost was far less and so was competition thus it was economically viable to sustain such a channel.

Broadcasters buy rights of mass as well as niche sports but content strategy across linear or OTT platforms is designed keeping in mind how investments can b recovered and profits generated. Please do not compare sony, discovery with star sports as they have widely apart sports investments hence require different planning to recover it

Bro, be more receptive to facts.... I did not give lecture but shared details what is present strategy of both networks and what r limitations or scope in both cases. Niche means having comparatively lesser audience. Plz understand the days u saw all sports on star sports is impossible to return, those days content cost was far less and so was competition thus it was economically viable to sustain such a channel.

Broadcasters buy rights of mass as well as niche sports but content strategy across linear or OTT platforms is designed keeping in mind how investments can b recovered and profits generated. Please do not compare sony, discovery with star sports as they have widely apart sports investments hence require different planning to recover it
Okay, why is IPL airing on a niche channel Star Sports Select 1 HD? Why is football being aired in SD on Star Sports 3 a less priced channel when ₹19 Star Sports 2 HD has free slots available for live coverage? Giving 2 hours slot to a live game doesn't hurt much. It will instead encourage fans to buy Star Sports 2 HD worth ₹19 along with Star Sports Select 2 HD priced ₹9. Win win situation for both Star and fans.

Star Sports itself doesn't have a fixed strategy. I recall in 2016. Premier League was exclusive to newly launched HD only channels Star Sports Select 1 HD and Star Sports Select 2 HD with promises of these channels never having cricket. Than within months they launched SD feed while slowly bringing cricket to it.

Last edited:
Okay, why is IPL airing on a niche channel Star Sports Select 1 HD? Why is football being aired in SD on Star Sports 3 a less priced channel when ₹19 Star Sports 2 HD has free slots available for live coverage? Giving 2 hours slot to a live game doesn't hurt much. It will instead encourage fans to buy Star Sports 2 HD worth ₹19 along with Star Sports Select 2 HD priced ₹9. Win win situation for both Star and fans.

Buddy, share feedback with them.... I requested u yesterday too. They might as well air Premier League on Star Sports 2. Star Sports Select 1 airs more professional commentary or presentation of IPL and basically a way to generate more revenue and cater to more evolved cricket audience. Infact tell them to air overlapping matches on Star Sports 2/ HD and air Premier League on Star Sports First, later when 1st match ends shift Premier League to Star Sports 2 / HD. Also another way is to keep airing 1st match on Star Sports 1 HD while use Star Sports Select 1 to air 2nd match while overlapping happens and keep Star Sports 2 for PL

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock