Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,443
  • Views Views: Views 1,672,734

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
that's exactly i did post few days before about sports 18 HD. showing each and every match on movie channels is not right 😡 then what's the use of having sports channels and acquiring sports broadcast rights !? Viacom should stop taking sports rights if they are not capable of increasing sports channels. no offense but my views guys

yes exactly bro sports18 should immediately relinquish ligue 1 rights
If they want they can air sports on Colors itself. There are many channels like MTV, Vh1, Colors Infinity etc. that can air matches when they got no special programming. You don't need 10 channels. You need good strategy. In US major sports airs on channels like Fox, NBC, TNT, CBS etc. Despite having seperate sports channels. These are equivalent to Star Plus, Zee TV, Sony etc. of India. Our broadcasters scares failure so much. They are always unwilling to experiment with something fresh and different.

Last edited:
yes exactly bro sports18 should immediately relinquish ligue 1 rights
exactly bondhu I emailed them regarding this but they replied it's in pipeline project for sports 18 2-3-4 etc .. they need to learn from Sony or Star. they launched channels first and then spread out matches for all sports. few people used to make fun or criticize them regarding too many sports channels and bandwidth, now we are seeing what happens when broadcaster doesn't have sufficient channels.

If they want they can air sports on Colors itself. There are many channels like MTV, Vh1, Colors Infinity etc. that can aor matches when they got no special programming. You don't need 10 channels. You need good strategy. In US major sports airs on channels like Fox, NBC, TNT, CBS etc. Despite having seperate sports channels. These are equivalent of Star Plus, Zee TV, Sony etc. Our broadcasters scares failure so much. They are always unwilling to experiment with something different.
not exactly. fox cbs nbc abc cw are not like star zee sony. those are ota operation in other words antenna channels like our DD that's why they broadcast over cable and antenna too for major NFL matches including Superbowl Sunday. for other sports only cable channels broadcast them.

i have no problem if they use any of your mention cahnnel but sports18 showing partiality by showing la liga on mtv and sports18 sd.
1stly sports18 sd available almost all dth ad cable then why they not showing either ligue 1 or la liga on sd cahnnel of sports18 otherwise mtv should show ligue 1 or like last year vh1 show ligue 1 forget all match if whole ligue 1 not gaving them trp they should atleast show psg match which is most demanded or any of your mention cahnnel but sports18 stubborn they stick ligue1 on their sports18 hd cahnnel.
this season only till now 1 match live on tv due to this stubbornness of sports18

i have no problem if they use any of your mention cahnnel but sports18 showing partiality by showing la liga on mtv and sports18 sd.
1stly sports18 sd available almost all dth ad cable then why they not showing either ligue 1 or la liga on sd cahnnel of sports18 otherwise mtv should show ligue 1 or like last year vh1 show ligue 1 forget all match if whole ligue 1 not gaving them trp they should atleast show psg match which is most demanded or any of your mention cahnnel but sports18 stubborn they stick ligue1 on their sports18 hd cahnnel.
this season only till now 1 match live on tv due to this stubbornness of sports18
true' Viacom is stubborn. they have been acquiring sports broadcast rights since long time even when they had not even one sport channel. VH1 and MTV had always been their supplementary sports channels

With this attitude I don’t know how Viacom18 is going to do its promotion and distribution campaign for the FIFA World Cup. It has been several months since the Sports18 channels were launched but they are not showing any big sporting events outside football. If not cricket (apart from Road Safety Series) they should show some big events in hockey, tennis, badminton, etc. In May they showed the Thomas Cup (which India won) and Uber Cup. Unless there are more big sporting events like this, not many will know about the Sports18 channels.

not many will know about the Sports18 channels.
ex star strategy head's which now part of viacom18 makes sure this channel shoutdown before proper distribution 😅😅😅

star's ex employees love towards star is just too much they just want no competator of star sports.
viacom18 should immidietly sack these ex star employees

With this attitude I don’t know how Viacom18 is going to do its promotion and distribution campaign for the FIFA World Cup. It has been several months since the Sports18 channels were launched but they are not showing any big sporting events outside football. If not cricket (apart from Road Safety Series) they should show some big events in hockey, tennis, badminton, etc. In May they showed the Thomas Cup (which India won) and Uber Cup. Unless there are more big sporting events like this, not many will know about the Sports18 channels.
They did air Diamond League. I think the first broadcaster to ever do. Their priority currently is given more for their digital arm. They are a very new player. Give them some time to grow. It took Paralympics for Eurosport to show growth. It will be FIFA World Cup for Sports18.

Back
Top Bottom