Discussion Strengths and weaknesses of Viacom18 and its performance

JollyLNB

News Columnist
Reaction score
I decided to share my opinion on the performance of Viacom18 channels.

The bad:
  • Colors Hindi is struggling. Earlier Sony was never in the top 10 without KBC, and Sony Sab never at all, but they have both leapfrogged Colors, and it is struggling to stay in the top 10. Its shows are regressive (think Luv Kush). Plus its graphics package is very lacklustre compared to the other three pay networks.
  • Colors Bangla and Colors Odia are disasters. I don't know how Colors Odia manages to survive. Nobody watches it. It is a duopoly between Zee Sarthak and Ortel (Tarang, Alankar, OTV). Similarly, Colors Bangla will gather in the dust. It is going the way of Sun Bangla Rupashi Bangla.
The good:
  • Comedy Central is unquestionably the No. 1 English GEC, whether in SD or HD. Colors Infinity is performing excellently as well. Both their graphics are awesome, unlike Colors Hindi. @DJ Roy is the expert on this.
  • Despite losing the top slot to Zee Kannada, Colors Kannada is a strong No. 2 and refuses to give up fighting. Even Colors Super is doing well.
  • Colors Marathi which was only slightly ahead of Star Pravah earlier has surged ahead. Fakt Marathi which was briefly the No. 1 Marathi channel has fallen behind Zee Marathi and Colors Marathi. Star Pravah is nowhere in comparison and it may soon fall behind Zee Yuva if not Sony Marathi (whose TRP is extremely low).
  • The niche channels such as MTV and Nick are ruling the respective genres.
  • Viacom18 is the ONLY network to have HD music channels, that too three of them (2 Hindi if MTV HD+ is included and 1 English). MTunes (before acquisition by Pen), Sony (Sony Rox HD) and FIC (Nat Geo Music) have all left the HD music market.

Last edited:
Colors Tamil is missing.
Colors Tamil which completed 1.5 years still couldn't able to find a stable position. But we can't consider it as a disaster as it's shows has a decent response from social media. The channel got hyped as much as it may beat Sun TV. In reality, they couldn't even beat Kalainger TV, Vijay Super, and KTV.

At first I want to take about something no one's talking about. Vh1 and MTV are doing promotion of Viacom's live gigs or events. Comedy Central is also doing this. After Sunburn, Vh1 Supersonic is the biggest EDM festival in India. Other than Viacom I think Sony is doing a similar kind of thing by screening sports and infotainment shows at PVR theatres.

Comedy Central is airing all the most popular English shows in India. Friends the most popular International shows in India is continuously airing since January 2016. The only days this show isn't on air is when Comedy Central is having some special block. Even this Sunday CC will have a 25 hour block to celebrate the shows 25th Anniversary. Shows like Impractical Jokers are watched by audience who are not even into English GEC. Hopefully, they will acquire Just For Laugh Gags as well. Recently they are airing these top notch stand up specials from Just For Laugh which never aired in India. They got The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men. These shows are the most watched shows in India. Also being a comedy network they have advantage they have to least worry about people moving to OTT for censorship. And their content has amazing repeat value. Who doesn't want to shows that makes you laugh? It's like Bahubali after knowing everything you won't watch it every time it's on TV. Meanwhile you will enjoy watching Golmaal everytime it airs.

It's all about TRAI new regulation. People find more entertaining shows and genre on Star & Sony they just stopped watching Colors.

Colors Tamil is missing.
Colors Tamil which completed 1.5 years still couldn't able to find a stable position. But we can't consider it as a disaster as it's shows has a decent response from social media. The channel got hyped as much as it may beat Sun TV. In reality, they couldn't even beat Kalainger TV, Vijay Super, and KTV.
Colors Tamil is a moderate success, like Zee Keralam. Zee Keralam has finally managed to find its feet. Sony Marathi is in a worse condition, and Sun Bangla is in the worst shape of all. However, time will tell whether Sun Bangla and Sony Marathi will be able to get more viewers.

Colors Tamil is a moderate success, like Zee Keralam. Zee Keralam has finally managed to find its feet. Sony Marathi is in a worse condition, and Sun Bangla is in the worst shape of all. However, time will tell whether Sun Bangla and Sony Marathi will be able to get more viewers.
Blame Sun's poor distribution. No cable company here in Assam has Sun Bangla. Assam is a big market for Bengali entertainment. Yet, they haven't put any afford to get it here. Also adding it now would be too late. No one is watching series in the middle of season.

And if I miss an episode where am I supposed to watch Sun Bangla's shows which are not available anywhere. Sun Bangla is doomed already.

Blame Sun's poor distribution. No cable company here in Assam has Sun Bangla. Assam is a big market for Bengali entertainment. Yet, they haven't put any afford to get it here. Also adding it now would be too late. No one is watching series in the middle of season.

And if I miss an episode where am I supposed to watch Sun Bangla's shows which are not available anywhere. Sun Bangla is doomed already.
Not to mention Assam's own GECs (Rang, Rengoni and Jonack) are very small, and owned by small companies (the respective sister news channels are News Live, Prag News and DY 365, IIRC; the order may be wrong). But that is a different topic.

Not to mention Assam's own GECs (Rang, Rengoni and Jonack) are very small, and owned by small companies (the respective sister news channels are News Live, Prag News and DY 365, IIRC; the order may be wrong). But that is a different topic.
You got it all wrong. Assamese people watch Assamese shows. We have huge Bengali population here who also watches Assamese shows. Same is the case in Meghalaya and Tripura. If Sun doesn't expand in North East they are doomed.

I decided to share my opinion on the performance of Viacom18 channels.

The bad:
  • Colors Hindi is struggling. Earlier Sony was never in the top 10 without KBC, and Sony Sab never at all, but they have both leapfrogged Colors, and it is struggling to stay in the top 10. Its shows are regressive (think Luv Kush). Plus its graphics package is very lacklustre compared to the other three pay networks.
  • Colors Bangla and Colors Odia are disasters. I don't know how Colors Odia manages to survive. Nobody watches it. It is a duopoly between Zee Sarthak and Ortel (Tarang, Alankar, OTV). Similarly, Colors Bangla will gather in the dust. It is going the way of Sun Bangla Rupashi Bangla.
The good:
  • Comedy Central is unquestionably the No. 1 English GEC, whether in SD or HD. Colors Infinity is performing excellently as well. Both their graphics are awesome, unlike Colors Hindi. @DJ Roy is the expert on this.
  • Despite losing the top slot to Zee Kannada, Colors Kannada is a strong No. 2 and refuses to give up fighting. Even Colors Super is doing well.
  • Colors Marathi which was only slightly ahead of Star Pravah earlier has surged ahead. Fakt Marathi which was briefly the No. 1 Marathi channel has fallen behind Zee Marathi and Colors Marathi. Star Pravah is nowhere in comparison and it may soon fall behind Zee Yuva if not Sony Marathi (whose TRP is extremely low).
  • The niche channels such as MTV and Nick are ruling the respective genres.
  • Viacom18 is the ONLY network to have HD music channels, that too three of them (2 Hindi if MTV HD+ is included and 1 English). MTunes (before acquisition by Pen), Sony (Sony Rox HD) and FIC (Nat Geo Music) have all left the HD music market.
As a colors tv fan i believe colors tv will get its 2nd spot back with launch of bigg boss..i am aware that bigg boss is not performing very well in trp ratings from last few seasons but still there is very large fan following of bigg boss who will subscribe to colors tv packs once bigg boss is launched so this will also help to increase other shows ratings automatically..there ll be large number of people including me who will subscribe colors pack for bigg boss

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock