Subramanian Swami writes to I&B ministry over the name of Republic Channel

• Thread starter adhu84
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 15
  • Views: Views 1,797

adhu84

Reaction score
Subramanian Swamy writes to I&B Ministry on Arnab Goswami’s ‘Republic’, says name breaches Emblems Act.

Rajya Sabha member and BJP leader Subramanian Swamy has written a letter to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting questioning the use of the name ‘Republic’ by journalist Arnab Goswami for his upcoming news channel.

In the letter dated January 13, Swamy said that use of certain ‘names and emblems are prohibited from being used under the Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, 1950 for professional and commercial purposes’.

Continue reading here

I n B Ministry shouldn't listen :dodgy what's problem in using name Republic :u

I think AG will name it Republic World :(

Arnabs-Republic-has-run-into-Swamy.jpg

Subramanian_Swamy.jpg

MUMBAI: BJP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy has written a letter to the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (MIB) against granting licence to TV anchor Arnab Goswami’s upcoming news channel ‘Republic’.

According to Swamy, the Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, 1950 bars anyone from using the term ‘Republic’ for professional and commercial purposes.

Swamy further stated that the schedule accompanying the statute, under Item 6, prohibits using the word ‘Republic’.

Thus, Swamy contended, the grant of licence to a news channel to broadcast under the name of ‘Republic’ will be contrary to law and a direct breach of the Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, 1950.

“Therefore, your office may look into the use of ‘Republic’ and determine if it is prohibited to issue a license under such name,” Swamy said in his letter.

The letter dated 13 January was addressed to the MIB secretary Ajay Mittal.

Subramanian Swamy asks MIB not to grant licence to Arnab Goswami’s ‘Republic’ | TelevisionPost.com

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock