Tata Sky, Netflix enter into strategic partnership

It's much cheaper for them to build just a WebOS version of Netflix app instead of creating a Whole new android STB for only one app.
I have been using both WebOS and Android OS TV and can say, WebOS is way too much behind than latest android OS TVs. So they should make Android OS STB to become future proof.

What about subscription package?
Airtel TV & Movies App currently free for all.
present report is that Netflix content will be free via Airtel tv for all Airtel postpaid/prepaid users. But may be like amazon prime, Netflix also free for selected Airtel users who use higher prepaid/postpaid plan.

Last edited:
If they add web app in stb, we can use this in stb through internet.

There are total only 17 Million wired broadband users all over India, I am not sure how many will have both Wired broadband and DTH and of that DTH users only 1/4 th has TS connection and of that 1/4 users only 10% I guess have DVR Boxes so it will not be very helpful for majority users. So I wish they add via Satellite

I think we are misunderstanding this partnership, I think TS might add a Netflix icon in TS mobile app & Netflix will add TS icon on there app & I don't think that Netflix would available on tata sky stb.

Why not when we can choose our own camera angle within a ch which is broadcasting live match or watch different ch on different STB ?
If you have used those services within a channel, you would definitely know the hassles. A service like Netflix incorporated as a channel with ability to switch to content you need, you can only imagine the amount of hassles that will offer you.
It's much cheaper for them to build just a WebOS version of Netflix app instead of creating a Whole new android STB for only one app.
A smart STB with android would be a future proof option for TS. Nowhere did I tell about this being exclusive for Netflix.
There are total only 17 Million wired broadband users all over India, I am not sure how many will have both Wired broadband and DTH and of that DTH users only 1/4 th has TS connection and of that 1/4 users only 10% I guess have DVR Boxes so it will not be very helpful for majority users. So I wish they add via Satellite
This is not targeted at each and every customer. Premium content, premium customer, thus the business. Adding via satellite is just not possible, only thing that they can add as a channel is a preview channel to serve as an advertisement for Netflix with clips and trailers.

Will the tie-up work against Tata Sky? Don’t you fear competition?

Competitive intensity is good for the industry especially at the stage we are in. We need more high-quality competition to come into this business. I don’t want to run a monopoly because monopolies become very lethargic and they don’t feed the customer and they don’t grow the industry. At this stage, the more, the larger number of good quality competition that comes in it will keep us on our toes it should be there. It will help get good quality of product to the customer and is welcome. It’s not going to be a single platform.

It’s going to be a combination. Just like a set top box is HD, DVR, SD and all those kinds of things. It’s going to be low cost to high cost. Even the customer price models will be different. You pay upfront a lot and don’t make me subsidise, you pay less per month. You make me subsidise the equipment, you pay me more per month.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/dth...nue-enhancement-tata-skys-harit-nagpal-180426

If you have used those services within a channel, you would definitely know the hassles. A service like Netflix incorporated as a channel with ability to switch to content you need, you can only imagine the amount of hassles that will offer you.

A smart STB with android would be a future proof option for TS. Nowhere did I tell about this being exclusive for Netflix.

This is not targeted at each and every customer. Premium content, premium customer, thus the business. Adding via satellite is just not possible, only thing that they can add as a channel is a preview channel to serve as an advertisement for Netflix with clips and trailers.

If adding via Satellite is not they are talking about then what's the need for DTH partnership ? Premium people already has Smart TVs/computers and can afford high speed broadband by spending Rs 1000 or more just on broadband. So they can anyway subscribe Netflix and watch it on their Broadband. They don't need DTH's help to get to Netflix. I also believe they will distribute via broadband but this partnership is useless in nature from customers point of view.

It may just be that bundled TS subscriptions and Netflix streaming plans will be offered at competitive prices, if bought together.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock