USB drive not working in PC after using it on Vd2h

• Thread starter Thread starter Vallavan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 12
  • Views Views: Views 11,046

Vallavan

Reaction score
Hello friends.

I had a old external hdd which was working fine so I decided to use it for my D2H HD box and convert it into a DVR.

I connected it in STB and it asked me to format. I formatted it and was able to do the STB recordings.

Now I needed the HDD to store some files, I am aware that the recorded videos from STB cannot be played or accessed in a PC.

When I connected my HDD to pc, It just makes the usb connected sound but nothing appears in 'My Computer'. I was afraid and thought that may there is a fault with the HDD. So I connected it back to the STB and it is working fine. I could play the recorded videos and was also able to record more into it.

Now the entire hdd is not accessible on PC.

Is there any workaround or solution for this.

You didn't mention the size of HDD ? I think the main problem is you FORMAT the HDD with your STB without knowing the Partitions ? So the STB Format only the C drive which have any OS or system files to Operate on PC that is why you are not able to access the HDD.

The only method is to FORMAT the HDD with your PC may be FAT32 or NTFS file system. If your HDD is only 250GB or 320GB then make only two partitions to use in STB , But this is worst situation is that your stb recorded files are not played in PC as every FTA box files having TS or PS Format are played in PC easily & Some PC files are also played in Fta box ?

It is a 500gb hard disk.

The HDD is not even seen anywhere when connected to my pc to fomat it.

I did a initial format from my STB while connecting it and now it is no longer visible in my PC

Vallavan bro in my sundirect stb pendrive format is fat32 & hardisk format also fat32 format & i also tried pendrive working fine in pc/stb,but same issue harddisk not working pc,i think stb format not support in pc:(,if u want use the harddisk for pc means format only solution but recording content also deleted:(:'( & this way to format Go to disk management & ur hard disk will be showing as unallocated space disk :k

When you connect your HDD to the stb and format it using stb, it will be formatted with EXT file system... I mean the file system of the entire drive, not the file format in which the recordings are made...

And your Windows PC can recognize only FAT or NTFS file system... So when the (ext) HDD is connected to your PC it won't be recognized...

It's not a error or issue.. Nothing to worry here... It's all because of the file system... The ext file system will however be recognized normally on a Linux PC...

mmadhankumar said:
When you connect your HDD to the stb and format it using stb, it will be formatted with EXT file system... I mean the file system of the entire drive, not the file format in which the recordings are made...

And your Windows PC can recognize only FAT or NTFS file system... So when the (ext) HDD is connected to your PC it won't be recognized...

It's not a error or issue.. Nothing to worry here... It's all because of the file system... The ext file system will however be recognized normally on a Linux PC...

I totally understood your answer. So is it possible to bring it back to NTFS to be accessed in PC

Anyway the recording in Videocon D2H sucks.

When I play it , I see lot of skips sometimes 2 mins, 5 mins even 20 mins and everything is missed out.

Did anybody face this problem.

Vallavan said:
Anyway the recording in Videocon D2H sucks.

When I play it , I see lot of skips sometimes 2 mins, 5 mins even 20 mins and everything is missed out.

Did anybody face this problem.

Yeah bro I too faced so many problems when I got new connection...
So I cancelled my topup itself....
Their software always stucks...
Hope they will rectify soon

Vallavan said:
When I connected my HDD to pc, It just makes the usb connected sound but nothing appears in 'My Computer'.
If ur OS is mac then pc will detect the HDD.

for windows OS -Nothing to worry ... Go to Controll pannel -> Disc manager -> their you can find the disc-> then delete volume ...

I had the same issue and I solve it like that.. (when I connected to my LG 42" Full HD SmartTV)

Back
Top Bottom