Videocon plans new set-top box plant with 1 mn annual capacity

M.J.Sadiq

M Jahabar Sadiq
Contributor
Reaction score
New Delhi: Videocon Industries will set up a new set-top box manufacturing unit with an annual capacity of one million by the end of this year.

"We will set up another plant that will have a production capacity of 1 million units annually by end of 2014. We want to do more. We have not decided but we are evaluating either setting it up in Punjab or Madhya Pradesh," Videocon Industries Director Anirudh Dhoot said in an interview.

Dhoot said it is easy to produce STBs in India because of new production technologies and equipments.

Videocon d2h, the DTH arm of Videocon group, is one of the fastest growing Direct-To-Home service providers in India.

The Budget 2013-14 presented by Finance Minister P Chidambaram proposed a hike in import duty of set-top boxes from 5 percent to 10 percent, a move which gave a level-playing field to domestic manufacturers in terms of price compared to importers.

Industry body Consumer Electronics and Appliances Manufacturers Association (CEAMA) estimates the total demand for set-top box (STBs) would be about 60 million and turnover of overall STB segment would be around Rs 9,000 crore in 2014.

"We have seen huge growth in demand for STBs. In October, we increased production capacity of existing STB plant from 7 lakh to 10 lakh i.E. 1 million," Dhoot said.

The Central government has decided to digitise the cable television all over the country in a phased manner.

Foreign STB makers almost wiped out domestic players during phase I and II of cable TV digitalisation with around 95 percent market share.

Out of total installation of about 55 million units, domestic players were able to sell about 10 million units of STB as on December, 2012.

In a pre-budget note shared with the Department of Electronics and Information Technology, CEAMA had said Indian players are losing business to imported STBs due to price difference arising out of the tax structure.

At basic production cost of Rs 1,012 per unit, the final price of STB made by Indian players lands in the market for Rs 1,296.27 compared to Rs 1,202.5 per unit price of imported STB, CEAMA said.

http://zeenews.india.com/business/news/technology/videocon-plans-new-set-top-box-plant-with-1-mn-annual-capacity_92490.html

Then D2H Will be able to Provide STB in Lower Price than Others

But chips are imported. Only assembled and software can be done in India. It's much like micromax or karbonn mobile phones

That's good news. They'll be able to provide STBs at cheap rate. I think they've already decreased the price of SD STBs.

If enough capacity is available then Videocon can consider manufacturing STBs for others if orders are available.

it will be assembly plant

and it wont help Videocon to reduce price of stb

margin will be lower

instead they will improve profit and make company into profitable

if price reduced then dth industry dynamics will be disturbed

also Videocon home place is Punjab and MP
so plant will in either there as expected.

one more thing can happen

d2h will produce(sorry assemble) in excess and supply o other player like free dish/sun direct

this strategy is followed from long time in TV/LCD/LED/consumer appliance

Re: RE: Videocon plans new set-top box plant with 1 mn annual capacity

me_saket said:
it will be assembly plant

and it wont help Videocon to reduce price of stb

margin will be lower

instead they will improve profit and make company into profitable

if price reduced then dth industry dynamics will be disturbed

They already have reduced the price of SD STB by RS

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock