Discussion What's responsible for niche sports from disappearing from TVs?

What led to downfall of niche sporting events from tv?

• Total voters
sports channels need to be more balanced sports channels so that they can work....i remember in 1992 when star sports channel was launched they were showing almost all sports and best part was they were showing most of LIVE sport...but now most broadcasters are showing same sports on different channels that has some what push back viewers and viewers have taken other means too watch their favorite sport....be it F1 or EPL or NBA there were shown on star sports and made these sports popular in INDIA.

Sports personalities like Andre Agassi , Pete Sampras , Michael Schumacher etc were made hugely popular by Star sports or else we would have never known them so by saying viewers are not interested in these sports and keep showing highlights of ipl, isl or pkl wont help STAR

Look I personally blame TRAI's NTO. As a casual MMA fan I might watch UFC, Bellator or ONE. I might stumble upon a fight. But I wouldn't take the time and effort to find the channel and add it to pack. This is how Rugby, Hockey, Athletics etc. can be watched. Now that we have to particularly get the channel or be a GEC fan to get the channels by default on the package in the form of bouquets. It is bad for both the broadcaster and the sport.

Disagree bro. U r basically saying that if i get something complimentary then i might watch and broadcasters too have this approach of forcing content or chs and somehow managing revenue/profits by artificially increasing reach of less popular things. Real test of content or popularity is decides by voluntary decision.
If u love a sport then u will opt for a ch and watch it. TRAI tariff order has brought much needed reform or transparency which most viewers have still not fully understood and broadcasters r worried bcoz they lost out on bulk advance revenue as well as ad revenue bcoz of less reach of chs.

All stakeholders need to adapt to apt or more structured way so that good content and business both go well

I will mainly blame on over commercialization of sports. BCCI is selling rights like they are a corporate and their main job is to make profits. While for that fact they don't even invest all money and send it to their cash reserve. Same when it comes to EPL or Bundesliga. Bad timing even for native people and multiple matches at same time has cost them. Let's say a broadcaster will buy EPL rights for 200 cr per season. In normal season, there will be multiple match at same time. So when they have less channel, they will skip many match. They can't monetize all. Same with price. The price need to be negotiated according to paying capability. 200 for just 1 season of EPL is too much in India. The media rights price need to come down. Even with all these money, they do nothing for fans and just hike salary of players! See our Cricket stadiums if you don't believe me. Except some well known stadiums, Most lack basis facility like water and overhead cover while BCCI is one of the richest board in world! Also sports channel are over priced with what they are telecasting. This is not a developed country that you except people to subscribe to multiple channels 22 each to watch different sports! I have to subscribe to some 5 channels if i want to all IPL, India cricket international, ISL, EPL and UCL! That's 110 for just one person. While you have other people at home.

We can't blame TV Channels here, most of TV viewers not interested watching these Sports events except Cricket, another reason is Advertisement Agencies Not interested giving single advertisement to these Sports properties, because low viewership for these Sports events.

I will mainly blame on over commercialization of sports. BCCI is selling rights like they are a corporate and their main job is to make profits. While for that fact they don't even invest all money and send it to their cash reserve. Same when it comes to EPL or Bundesliga. Bad timing even for native people and multiple matches at same time has cost them. Let's say a broadcaster will buy EPL rights for 200 cr per season. In normal season, there will be multiple match at same time. So when they have less channel, they will skip many match. They can't monetize all. Same with price. The price need to be negotiated according to paying capability. 200 for just 1 season of EPL is too much in India. The media rights price need to come down. Even with all these money, they do nothing for fans and just hike salary of players! See our Cricket stadiums if you don't believe me. Except some well known stadiums, Most lack basis facility like water and overhead cover while BCCI is one of the richest board in world! Also sports channel are over priced with what they are telecasting. This is not a developed country that you except people to subscribe to multiple channels 22 each to watch different sports! I have to subscribe to some 5 channels if i want to all IPL, India cricket international, ISL, EPL and UCL! That's 110 for just one person. While you have other people at home.
Bro These Sports properties Acquisition cost is 200crs more, Star and Sony done many experiment like L, Aston band advertisement in low cost to Recover Acquisition cost for these Sports properties, but these sports Properties Acquisition cost itself 200crs more Revenue is just 1.5 to 2crs. From 2crs they can Acquire other sports rights :unsure:

Last edited:
sports channels need to be more balanced sports channels so that they can work....i remember in 1992 when star sports channel was launched they were showing almost all sports and best part was they were showing most of LIVE sport...but now most broadcasters are showing same sports on different channels that has some what push back viewers and viewers have taken other means too watch their favorite sport....be it F1 or EPL or NBA there were shown on star sports and made these sports popular in INDIA.

Sports personalities like Andre Agassi , Pete Sampras , Michael Schumacher etc were made hugely popular by Star sports or else we would have never known them so by saying viewers are not interested in these sports and keep showing highlights of ipl, isl or pkl wont help STAR

Less competition, no trp pressure, price of cricket rights very less... More so DD was paid to carry India Cricket in early yrs. Now whole scenario is diff and 90s situation cannot be compared to now

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock