Good News All Star channels added back to base pack on Airtel Digital TV (could be a temporary move!)

• Thread starter Thread starter Arsh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 267
  • Views Views: Views 44,076
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the good relation between Star-Airtel was broken during TRAI tariff case and also the failure of DTH mergers.
While Star India and Star Vijay were fighting TRAI order in Madras HC, Airtel and TataSky were fighting same order in Delhi HC. However both parties were fighting on different parts of TRAI order. Star was fighting on behalf copyright act. But Airtel and TataSky were fighting against carriage fee regulation and for package flexibility (non-fixed rate of channel based on packs). In fact Star lawyers agreed with TRAI on regulating carriage fee which I think angered Airtel. I think airtel is now crushed between both TRAI and Star. TRAI made them cut their profit from alacarte and Star is asking higher share from basepacks. Only options now for Airtel are:
a) price rise
b) reduction of channels in base packs
c) Only have alacarte packs (End of basepacks).
I think bad days ahead.

Last edited:
Again ADTV scoroll running about star channel availability...
Yup I saw a scroll in Star Vijay too. Also Airtel is promoting Zee and Sony networks. I hope this issue is totally resolved.
2418mfc.jpg

30jtrn5.jpg

So, the issue is solved temporarily till April'18

This case should be understood even more technically Airtel went to court against complete blackout of Star Channels from ADTV platform for non payment of dues.

From the above link it's clear Star wants extra 9.8 crore from what Airtel ready to pay,TDSAT gave relief and advised both parties to proceed with an agreement and Airtel need not pay 9.8 crore extra and the matter will be decided with another case of the same nature.

So this case doesn't hold Star-Airtel from entering into an agreement only payment issue will be sorted out in future dates.

But Scroll still running on Star Channels indicates Star Preparing for a complete blackout of its entire bouquet of 56 Channels very soon.

Airtel vs Star case has been clubbed with these other TDSAT cases (next hearing on April 6'th):
BP 324 is Videocon vs Sony
BP 346 is Dish TV vs Star
BP 347 is Videocon vs Star
These cases have been going on since August 2017. Maybe Airtel is a trojan horse sent by Star to infiltrate Videocon and Dish argument in court. Or by creating nuisance they may force TRAI to drop the order??? Truth is TRAI order is fair. Equal carriage fee for all channels and equal channel pricing for all MSOs/DTHs. This means big players like airtel don't get discounts from broadcaster anymore. So being friends with Star has no positive value for Airtel due to TRAI order. Ultimate we as users are just pawns as the games are being played by broadcasters and operators.

So, I guess the STAR vs AIRTEL issue won't be sloved anytime soon & we may face complete blackout or Ala-Karte method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom