BARC Week 15

• Thread starter Thread starter Shantanu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 37
  • Views Views: Views 3,961
Good. Police should take action against Sun tv rating manipulation also
I'm not sure whether or not Sun TV or any other channel for that matter manipulates these ratings. But in the Tamil movie Spyder, they seach for a most watched program and the hero finds out that most people watch Saravanan Meenakshi in Vijay TV. But in BARC ratings Sun TV's Vamsam featuring Bahubali Ramya Krishnan always tops the ratings for that slot. But in any case both those programs are crap. Sun TV has too much cooked up stories and drama not matching reality while Vijay TV has no story. But people in Tamil Nadu always are used to those highly dramatic serials hence most people end up watching it. Its only after Bigg Boss Tamil Star Vijay is trying to compete with Sun TV by not only increasing their ratings but also successfully reducing Sun TV's ratings. Earlier it was way higher.
instead putting barc meters, better these ratings agencies should approach all dth, dth viewership is somehow better than BARC.
Airtel digital tv has already partnered BARC. Its only a matter of time all other digital tv broadcasters to join hands with BARC. Until then we cannot have a clear indication. But as of now something is better than nothing.

Although sun's ratings are highest. I really don't see any fraud here. Don't you guys think that this can be easily recognizable by BARC people & they could've manipulated ratings & reduced it? But they haven't.

Speaking About ratings between Tamil & Hindi channels, if we consider the total market size of both top5 channels as follows.
zBJdMuL.png
7f1VbwN.png

It's clear that Hindi Has more market size than Tamil. Aside, I have only considered Hindi GEC. while BARC considers all Tamil GEC, Movies, Sports & kids channel in single Tamil section.If i add them all channels of Hindi (sports, movies, GEC), Hindi section would be a clear winner
In Hindi, there are no. of channels available across genres which share viewership share while in Tamil, sun tv dominates well & no. of channels are less compared to Hindi

Do you guys remember in our childhood, how people used to watch star plus day & night?if that scenario was still their star plus would've dominated the whole market. but for Tamilnadu, the same scenario is still there. hence sun dominates.

Except that of Tamil, do we have a question for any other genre? we all know that star jalsa, Zee Marathi, colors Kannada, Asianet are popular in respective genres considering their popularity.

Also, a lot of regional channels are ahead of few Hindi GECs.We should understand as a viewer I will always give preference to channels in my local language then I will move to national channels. hence Hindi channel's rating gets reduced.

The clarification BARC providing in ratings, TAM(earlier rating system) never provided.

Note:-I am not either BARC/SUN TV Fan. Just stated my point of view on this whole issue. no offense to anyone
Perfect summarisation. Totally upto the point especially comparing Star Plus of those days and Sun TV of these days. I must agre most people in Tamil Nadu watch the highly dramatic programs on Sun TV especially the elders and hence most others in the family too watch it along with them or go watch their favorite programs either in Hotstar or Zee5 or Voot. But if the other channels focus on programs like Bigg Boss, I'm sure they can compete with Sun TV. I witnessed many people including the elders who preferred to watch Bigg Boss Tamil for Oviya over their favorite shows on Sun TV.

Star India completely failed in Karnataka
Star Suvarna , Star Suvarna HD and Star Suvarna Plus Channels not available in Dakshina Kannada , Udupi and many Districts Channel not available
Some peoples missing IPL Kannada Commentary in Many places and these places star sports and Star sports 1 Tamil channels available

Last edited:
Even in the middle of the IPL, Sony Max appears in the top 10. The only difference is that last year it was at the top and this year it is No. 10. This is the power of Telugu/Tamil movies; no IPL or BPL can bring Sony Max down.:clap:
Talking of IPL, if the trend continues, Star Sports 1 Hindi will become No. 1 and then Sun TV ki bolti band. It will have to shut up.

Although sun's ratings are highest. I really don't see any fraud here. Don't you guys think that this can be easily recognizable by BARC people & they could've manipulated ratings & reduced it? But they haven't.

Speaking About ratings between Tamil & Hindi channels, if we consider the total market size of both top5 channels as follows.
zBJdMuL.png
7f1VbwN.png

It's clear that Hindi Has more market size than Tamil. Aside, I have only considered Hindi GEC. while BARC considers all Tamil GEC, Movies, Sports & kids channel in single Tamil section.If i add them all channels of Hindi (sports, movies, GEC), Hindi section would be a clear winner
In Hindi, there are no. of channels available across genres which share viewership share while in Tamil, sun tv dominates well & no. of channels are less compared to Hindi

Do you guys remember in our childhood, how people used to watch star plus day & night?if that scenario was still their star plus would've dominated the whole market. but for Tamilnadu, the same scenario is still there. hence sun dominates.

Except that of Tamil, do we have a question for any other genre? we all know that star jalsa, Zee Marathi, colors Kannada, Asianet are popular in respective genres considering their popularity.

Also, a lot of regional channels are ahead of few Hindi GECs.We should understand as a viewer I will always give preference to channels in my local language then I will move to national channels. hence Hindi channel's rating gets reduced.

The clarification BARC providing in ratings, TAM(earlier rating system) never provided.

Note:-I am not either BARC/SUN TV Fan. Just stated my point of view on this whole issue. no offense to anyone
Perfectly told bro. Yes if you any village or area in TN let say ur visiting 10 homes from 6-10 pm you will find 8 homes TV will be running Sun TV only. You guys forgot that if sun telecast programs similar to 90s then that percentage is 100% others will get less chance only.

as you said, i agree with you. but telugu population is more than tamilnadu right? even bengali population also more right?
How Can Population Determine Viewership...It Can But Not To A Greater Heights...Just To A Small Level...I Cannot Make A Difference...!!

The reason is in Hindi speaking states like UP,Bihar,MP,Rajasthan,Chattisgarh,Jharkhand (accounts for about 50+ crore) the TV consumption is very low.(below national average.) Census of India Website : Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India

Also, around 2 crore DDFD users that amounts to 10 crore people. So, STAR Plus Zee TV kind of premium channels don't have presence here.

Sun TV has monopoly in TN market whereas in HSM, there are four broadcasters with various GEC, movie channels.

Also, there is huge difference between first place Sun TV and 5th place SS1 Tamil. Before this, Adithya TV which was in 5th place continuously many weeks didn't get even 1/10 th of Sun TV ratings. So Sun TV get most of the viewership in Tamil market which has the highest TV consumption in India.

Television reach for the opening week stood at 288.4 million viewers driven by 30% increase in reach in South. The audience demographic of Males 15+ AB, Urban registered 273 million impressions with a 23% growth versus year ago. The total Urban gross impressions witnessed a 17% growth at 854 million compared to last year.
Hotstar registered a viewership of 82.4 million viewers on the platform with a phenomenal growth of 76% versus last year. The broadcaster is eyeing Rs 2,000 crore ad revenue from IPL 2018.

IPL 2018 reached 371 mn viewers in opening week on TV, digital

Back
Top Bottom