FAQs on SET-TOP BOX (STB) & DIGITIZATION

Vikram said:
Slow digitisation progress in Chennai :wall:ohya :angry

Not slow... it never even started with over 90% + houses still in analogue and not a single worry from both MSO's, LCO's or subscribers about DAS. All just say we are nor included and DAS no soon.

Sometimes i wonder if Chennai is in India even.

I wish TRAI strictly implements the following,

1: Make strict rules like the basic 100 Rs pack.
2: add on pack with language specific (people watching English alone need not need other Indian pay channels).
3: Fix an MRP for every channel and for every pack (Eg: All Eng movies cant go higher than Rs 30 - 50 and all Eng news max 30 etc).
4: All channels a must at-least in A-La-Carte as local cable isn't DTH which runs out of slots.
5: Compulsory number of minimum channels in all genre, atleast FTA in this list.

may i question?
my local area cable connection is sity cable, but in march 2014 they converted to other
cable company (digi cable/in digital) , then we need to change our STB ? or purchase new STB??
or not.

In Chennai its just a few people willingly moving to STB to get pay channels that are not available via analogue and most others don't want to invest on it as no-one gives any single guarantee.

Eg: If i pay Rs 1300 for STB then i need a guarantee that the service will be there tomorrow and if the desired channels will be available. But here both has no guarantee, STB is the property of MSO though we pay Rs 1300 and not a single guarantee on any channels. Also no guarantee that the same MSO will continue for atleast 30/60 days.

Vikram said:
The I&B Ministry's Final Digitisation Timelines

Phase Area I&B Ministry's Final Deadline
Phase-I Fours Metros of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai. 31st October 2012
Phase-II Cities with a population More than one Million 31st March, 2013
Phase-III All urban areas (Municipal Corp/Municipalities) 30th September, 2014
Phase-IV Rest of India 31st December, 2014

Phase III date is wrong as both Phase III and IV date is 31st dec 2014
http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/Recommendation/Documents/laterdigital23feb11[1].pdf

dipak said:
may i question?
my local area cable connection is sity cable, but in march 2014 they converted to other
cable company (digi cable/in digital) , then we need to change our STB ? or purchase new STB??
or not.

As far as we see the STB's are unique for every MSO unless both the MSO's sity & digi use the same STB which is not in most cases so you mostly have to get a new STB like you get a new one when you move to another DTH provider.

dipak said:
may i question?
or not.

u need to change STB as MSO like siti cable or digi cable locked their stb much like private dth stb. So if u change MSO then u need new box.

Re: RE: FAQs on SET-TOP BOX (STB) & DIGITIZATION

dipak said:
may i question?
or not.

Way back in 2009 when hathway is replaced with scv in Chennai, my lco exchanged my hathway stb with scv stb free of cost... not sure about current scenario....

dipak said:
may i question?
or not.

You should get new STB in exchange free of cost as its a change at MSO end. Same thing happemed to me & my good quality Cisco STB was replaced free of cost with mediocre STB by MSO....

HOUSE-MD said:
In Chennai its just a few people willingly moving to STB to get pay channels that are not available via analogue and most others don't want to invest on it as no-one gives any single guarantee.

Eg: If i pay Rs 1300 for STB then i need a guarantee that the service will be there tomorrow and if the desired channels will be available. But here both has no guarantee, STB is the property of MSO though we pay Rs 1300 and not a single guarantee on any channels. Also no guarantee that the same MSO will continue for atleast 30/60 days.

STB should be made available in the market just like TV set. So one can choose STB as per his wish from market & buy CAM from any DTH/cable to activate account. But this is possible only after DTH/cable portability.

Sadiq said:
Way back in 2009 when hathway is replaced with scv in Chennai, my lco exchanged my hathway stb with scv stb free of cost... not sure about current scenario....

If SUN group rules the state then we can see Chennai going DAS within a weeks time with free STB's, SCV did give free STB for yearly subscription for a long time and it was a good choice too at that time.

SCV will do everything to get their control on any business like political parties do to get votes. Now we can clearly see that the STB ad has gone and no interest from SCV for DAS.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock