Govt's technical teams to ensure only digital signals go to LCOs

dishkiller

Banned
Reaction score
Govt's technical teams to ensure only digital signals go to LCOs
:new:new:new:new

NEW DELHI/MUMBAI: The government has fanned out technical teams in the four metros to ensure its 1 November deadline for shifting to digital delivery of cable television is complied with fully.

The Information & Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry has deployed teams comprising technical experts in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata to make sure multi-system operators (MSOs) deliver only digital signals from their head-ends.

The coordination committee of Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF) and MSO Alliance has on its part set up a task force to keep a check on piracy for continued provision of analogue cable TV services to consumers who have not yet installed set-top boxes (STBs).

The broadcasters and MSOs had a meeting with Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) chairman Rahul Khullar and I&B secretary Uday Kumar Verma on Monday, where they were given a clear message that the 31 October sunset deadline for analogue cable in the four metros is absolutely sacrosanct.

Even as it decided to ignore calls from political parties to postpone digitisation, the government claimed 93 per cent of the television homes have already shifted to digital reception of television channels, including those who have subscribed to direct-to-home (DTH) services.

The I&B Ministry said it has sent teams consisting of technical experts to visit various head-ends of national MSOs as well as independent MSOs in the four metro cities. The technical teams will collect on-site data regarding preparedness of MSOs for switchover to digital addressable system from analogue system.

The teams would also look at details of subscriber management systems and call centre facilities set up by the MSOs.

More importantly, the technical teams would also look at the systems available with the MSOs to ensure only digital signals go out to local cable networks from 1 November.

IBF president and MSM CEO Man Jit Singh said, " IBF is taking an aggressive stance against signal piracy. We have set up groups comprising members in all the four cities who will conduct raids with the help of police and have the (defaulting) head-ends seized. As per the law, it's illegal to provide analogue signals after the deadline."

The broadcasters and the MSOs have now joined in the government’s efforts to carry out switchover to digital delivery of television channels, though many of them privately have disputed the government’s figures on homes that have converted to digital. The government’s claim on digital television penetration are taking into consideration census figures on cable TV homes.

According to the 2011 census, the four metro cities have a total of 8.3 million of TV homes. The I&B Ministry has arrived at its estimates of digital TV penetration after extrapolating data received from MSOs on a daily basis on STB deployment.

:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock