Sad News HBO and WB to exit Indian market from 15th December

TRAI is not responsible for all this. Infact this new system has brought much needed transparency and choice. Earlier unnecessary chs were forced on us and broadcasters paid less emphasis on content produced. Now it is a simple case of attracting subscribers in return for good content which many chs r failing to do.

Broadcasters shutting chs is not a big issue as this can also b pressure building tactic to make NTO be reversed but it won't work. Also Niche chs more likely to close as OTT gains momentum and has more advantages to it. 3 or 4 yrs ago broadcasters had far better grip on viewers but they failed to catch up with time

TRAI is not responsible for all this. Infact this new system has brought much needed transparency and choice. Earlier unnecessary chs were forced on us and broadcasters paid less emphasis on content produced. Now it is a simple case of attracting subscribers in return for good content which many chs r failing to do.

Broadcasters shutting chs is not a big issue as this can also b pressure building tactic to make NTO be reversed but it won't work. Also Niche chs more likely to close as OTT gains momentum and has more advantages to it. 3 or 4 yrs ago broadcasters had far better grip on viewers but they failed to catch up with time
Who wants this choice and transparency? What if I watch movies on Zee Cinema and watch news on NDTV? How would I get discount on same? Instead of buying NDTV seperately. Why wouldn't I watch Zee News instead which is in my pack? Same with Sony BBC Earth. If an infotainment channel is on Sony pack. Why would I go and waste time and energy buying Discovery's channel? This way small broadcasters are losing.

Who wants this choice and transparency? What if I watch movies on Zee Cinema and watch news on NDTV? How would I get discount on same? Instead of buying NDTV seperately. Why wouldn't I watch Zee News instead which is in my pack? Same with Sony BBC Earth. If an infotainment channel is on Sony pack. Why would I go and waste time and energy buying Discovery's channel? This way small broadcasters are losing.

If u like some content u will opt for it even if it costs little more else what is use for giving options if all viewers want is free content. Broadcasters need to provide good stuff and consumers need to support it.

Small broadcasters r not losing, infact they have gained as now they r not getting raw deal from operators . Previously big broadcasters got long term agreements signed for high amount while smaller broadcasters found it hard to crack similar deals. Even carriage fee issue was issue for small broadcasters but now it is lot better, even operators can opt for channels without paying upfront

TRAI is not responsible for all this. Infact this new system has brought much needed transparency and choice.

Exactly, and this trend toward OTT services is global. It makes sense that most of the audience that watches English content in India has also shifted to OTT. AT&T purchased the DirecTV DTH service in 2015 for $67 billion including debt, but now they are considering selling it because paid cable and DTH services are rapidly losing customers and they would much rather focus on HBO Max. DirecTV is now valued at just over $15 billion including debt. For 2021, most of the WB movies are going directly to HBO Max instead of their usual theatrical release schedules.

Exactly, and this trend toward OTT services is global. It makes sense that most of the audience that watches English content in India has also shifted to OTT. AT&T purchased the DirecTV DTH service in 2015 for $67 billion including debt, but now they are considering selling it because paid cable and DTH services are rapidly losing customers and they would much rather focus on HBO Max. DirecTV is now valued at just over $15 billion including debt. For 2021, most of the WB movies are going directly to HBO Max instead of their usual theatrical release schedules.
Americans still watch TV using internet. Same wouldn't work in India where broadband is out of reach of commonman.

Americans still watch TV using internet. Same wouldn't work in India where broadband is out of reach of commonman.

Agree, but is English content in demand in areas where broadband is out of reach of the common man?

Agree, but is English content in demand in areas where broadband is out of reach of the common man?
Heard of a place called Northeast? Leave Northeast even across entire country English shows are enjoyed on tv.

And English movies are also widely popular. Just look at the ratings.

I remember just 4 years ago, we had all Bengali and Hindi ECs from STAR, SONY, ZEE and Viacom18. Alongwith it, almost 10 infotainment channels, 7+ kids channels, 8-9 music channels, many Bengali and Hindi news channels. That too at 190/- INR pm. And see now. We subscribe to 270/- INR pm cable pack, and get only STAR Bengali and Hindi channels, alongwith ZEE Bangla, 3 infotainment, 2 music channels, and some news channels (excluding NDTV which we earlier had). If we want to get the same number of channels as earlier, it would cost almost 550/- + INR pm. Just can't believe how much bills have increased in 4 years. We want bure din back. 😐

I was paying Rs 460 and getting to watch all HD channels ( regional HD as well ), but now I pay rs. 626, still not getting all HD channels....
totally agreed, bure din were way better than acche din !! :dodgy2:

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock