DDF Exclusive Honest review of Airtel Xstream Android Hybrid Box

• Thread starter Katryk
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 19
  • Views: Views 7,764
Bro, once you open it on your phone and register there for Netflix and Amazon Prime, use same username and password on your TV to sign in.

Supplement info.. For apps like Hotstar and ZEE5 once you install it in TV, it gives an activation key on TV. We need to then login in mobile app and enter the same activation key (shown in TV) in the mobile app (activation option will be there in the app). ZEE5 is also free access till your Gold Benefits exist.

Last edited:
Bro, once you open it on your phone and register there for Netflix and Amazon Prime, use same username and password on your TV to sign in.

Supplement info.. For apps like Hotstar and ZEE5 once you install it in TV, it gives an activation key on TV. We need to then login in mobile app and enter the same activation key (shown in TV) in the mobile app (activation option will be there in the app). ZEE5 is also free access till your Gold Benefits exist.
AFAIK, Airtel only gives free Amazon prime with 299 recharges which is a monthly recharge...I recharge with 399 which stays valid for 84 days & I don't get these benefits even after a being a Gold customer...Only the Xstream application is free for me... :(

I will check the Zee5 now...I think it'll be there but I am not seeing Netflix/Prime given to me...Please check the below screenshot I took on phone...

b2xsG6y.jpg

@sushruta sorry bro.. ZEE5 app "may" not work in TV for you.. because in mobile devices, ZEE5 is integrated within Xstream app.
Maybe Gold Benefits are different for pre-paid and broadband customers. I have Airtel Broadband connection and it was mentioned in my earlier disclaimer as well.

Got a chance to try Xstream box this week-end. These are the following observations (non-pro review) :-

1. We can unplug the dish cable and still access all the apps. Rain will not hamper your app access.
2. Even if you run out of balance the apps work. If you have Airtel Benefits, can watch xstream online content as well.
3. The whole box works on in-built Xstream app in it. As of now, it is free. Not sure what future/competition will do to this pricing.
4. Since it has Chrome cast built-in, we can cast from mobile to TV with this box.
5. Casting of Xstream mobile app content to TV doesn't work. Restricted access. I can understand on this restriction. Also www.airtelxstream.in did not work in my TV (opera) browser. :)
6. Not many apps are there in Google Play Store. For unknown reasons, Google Play Store is very restricted. I was new to this TV play store app. I presumed all Google Play Store apps will work on TV. But these guys did not even give a SEARCH (apps) option. Reality struck me.. :(
7. After setup, initially the remote operations are performance lagging. It takes some time to become normal.
8. Airtel Smart Remote app (to be installed in your mobile phone) works basis Bluetooth connectivity.
9. For strange reasons, Amazon prime forward/ backward doesn't work seamlessly. Hotstar / Netflix works superbly.
10. As told by many people in different forums.. recording option doesn't work.
11. Personally, I liked the interface.. However please do note that visual appearances are subjective.
12. I was not sure abt the surround system effect, because my TV has only a in-built 10 watts speaker :(
13. Regarding 4K, neither my TV nor my eyes understand 4K content.
14. Tried connecting my mobile phone with USB drive in the box. Both are using the same file system, but the box did not recognize. Since casting was working, I did not spend much time on this one to explore further. Need to check.
15. I am not able to login to a different user ID in YouTube in-built app.

For me, time taken between online request to upgrade and installation was less than 4 hours. Basis my usage, I am ok with this upgrade decision. If you already have a android (smart) TV, you can skip this box.

Disclaimer :- I gain NOTHING from giving this feedback and I do not work in this line of business.
You must be an Airtel Platinum customer...That's why you got so many things for free...For Airtel Gold customers only Xstream & Wynk music are free...I was just searching in my Airtel app & found this...I'm a gold customer & I didn't get neither Prime or Netflix or Zee5...I'm using Airtel since like 15-16 years but was not upgraded to Platinum...Lucky you... :) :D

Q88mlJL.jpg

Last edited:
@sushruta

Bro.. I am definitely not Platinum customer.. My app still shows as Gold customer only.
It must be part of Broadband Gold customer offers.

[General opinion, nothing about Xstream box..] When DTH was introduced in our country we were promised many things. At that time for less than 100rs local cable operator was offering decent service. In a country, when even basic things weren't working.. Consumers were forced to invest in set top boxes. People (read consumers) and MSO's were cheating the "poor" broadcasters and hence ORDINANCE (not a BILL) was passed to ensure every one gets migrated to DTH.

Reference URL (dated 2011-2012):-
Why the set-top box will now be mandatory - Indian Express
All you wanted to know about migration to digital cable TV

Most of us moved to DTH willingly or forcibly. Almost a decade passed and even now we customers are still checking about basic things like recording options. In that digital migration, only DTH companies benefited and customers got nothing. Rates increased and channels mushroomed like Cricket 1,2,3.. and everything became paid service. I understand copyrights and business profits. But, in this space greed took over and customers were arm twisted to pay more. Mostly in the last one month, I am getting a feeling that.. Internet is going to do to DTH what DTH did to Local Cable Operators.

Hopefully this will not repeat in the current digitizing process of payment services..

@sushruta sorry bro.. ZEE5 app "may" not work in TV for you.. because in mobile devices, ZEE5 is integrated within Xstream app.
Maybe Gold Benefits are different for pre-paid and broadband customers. I have Airtel Broadband connection and it was mentioned in my earlier disclaimer as well.
Bro, I'm also a gold customer, zee5 app r working me free...👍😊

Honest review of XStream Box....

First very important thing is that those who shift from TataSky to XStream box will repent over their decision.

1. Like TataSky EPG you wont be anle to view real time on its EPG. Very disappointing.

2. Not anle to browse channels Genre wise like TataSky which is very easy and conveniet like TataSky.

3. Frustrating audio issue when connection done to Home Theatre.

4. Even though TV support Dolby Digital formats, for Netfkix it didnt support and did not deliver output.

Honestly saying, dont choose the Box.
Fire TV 4K stick is much much better option.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock