DDF Exclusive Honest review of Airtel Xstream Android Hybrid Box

• Thread starter Katryk
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 19
  • Views: Views 7,864

Katryk

Reaction score
Got a chance to try Xstream box this week-end. These are the following observations (non-pro review) :-

1. We can unplug the dish cable and still access all the apps. Rain will not hamper your app access.
2. Even if you run out of balance the apps work. If you have Airtel Benefits, can watch xstream online content as well.
3. The whole box works on in-built Xstream app in it. As of now, it is free. Not sure what future/competition will do to this pricing.
4. Since it has Chrome cast built-in, we can cast from mobile to TV with this box.
5. Casting of Xstream mobile app content to TV doesn't work. Restricted access. I can understand on this restriction. Also www.airtelxstream.in did not work in my TV (opera) browser. :)
6. Not many apps are there in Google Play Store. For unknown reasons, Google Play Store is very restricted. I was new to this TV play store app. I presumed all Google Play Store apps will work on TV. But these guys did not even give a SEARCH (apps) option. Reality struck me.. :(
7. After setup, initially the remote operations are performance lagging. It takes some time to become normal.
8. Airtel Smart Remote app (to be installed in your mobile phone) works basis Bluetooth connectivity.
9. For strange reasons, Amazon prime forward/ backward doesn't work seamlessly. Hotstar / Netflix works superbly.
10. As told by many people in different forums.. recording option doesn't work.
11. Personally, I liked the interface.. However please do note that visual appearances are subjective.
12. I was not sure abt the surround system effect, because my TV has only a in-built 10 watts speaker :(
13. Regarding 4K, neither my TV nor my eyes understand 4K content.
14. Tried connecting my mobile phone with USB drive in the box. Both are using the same file system, but the box did not recognize. Since casting was working, I did not spend much time on this one to explore further. Need to check.
15. I am not able to login to a different user ID in YouTube in-built app.

For me, time taken between online request to upgrade and installation was less than 4 hours. Basis my usage, I am ok with this upgrade decision. If you already have a android (smart) TV, you can skip this box.

Disclaimer :- I gain NOTHING from giving this feedback and I do not work in this line of business.

Got a chance to try Xstream box this week-end. These are the following observations (non-pro review) :-

1. We can unplug the dish cable and still access all the apps. Rain will not hamper your app access.
2. Even if you run out of balance the apps work. If you have Airtel Benefits, can watch xstream online content as well.
3. The whole box works on in-built Xstream app in it. As of now, it is free. Not sure what future/competition will do to this pricing.
4. Since it has Chrome cast built-in, we can cast from mobile to TV with this box.
5. Casting of Xstream mobile app content to TV doesn't work. Restricted access. I can understand on this restriction. Also www.airtelxstream.in did not work in my TV (opera) browser. :)
6. Not many apps are there in Google Play Store. For unknown reasons, Google Play Store is very restricted. I was new to this TV play store app. I presumed all Google Play Store apps will work on TV. But these guys did not even give a SEARCH (apps) option. Reality struck me.. :(
7. After setup, initially the remote operations are performance lagging. It takes some time to become normal.
8. Airtel Smart Remote app (to be installed in your mobile phone) works basis Bluetooth connectivity.
9. For strange reasons, Amazon prime forward/ backward doesn't work seamlessly. Hotstar / Netflix works superbly.
10. As told by many people in different forums.. recording option doesn't work.
11. Personally, I liked the interface.. However please do note that visual appearances are subjective.
12. I was not sure abt the surround system effect, because my TV has only a in-built 10 watts speaker :(
13. Regarding 4K, neither my TV nor my eyes understand 4K content.
14. Tried connecting my mobile phone with USB drive in the box. Both are using the same file system, but the box did not recognize. Since casting was working, I did not spend much time on this one to explore further. Need to check.
15. I am not able to login to a different user ID in YouTube in-built app.

For me, time taken between online request to upgrade and installation was less than 4 hours. Basis my usage, I am ok with this upgrade decision. If you already have a android (smart) TV, you can skip this box.

Disclaimer :- I gain NOTHING from giving this feedback and I do not work in this line of business.
Point#5- try to install Firefox browser and then access xstream site on it..

@San_jay and @stiwari Thanks..

Both Chrome and Firefox browsers were not there in Google Play Store list. Opera was preloaded in my TV. I am a bit old school in these things.. :(
Need to explore more. Will check and update here.

Thought of sharing below info, please ignore if these are basics for you. Similarly pls add if there are some other good subscription apps.

Have installed the following apps in my Xstream box.

1. Hotstar - VIP Subscription at 365rs per annum (Football / Cricket / TV sops / News / Movies)
2. Zee5 - Comes free as part of my Airtel Gold Benefits. (Movies / Series / Regional Content)
3. Amazon Prime - Comes free as part of my Airtel Gold Benefits for a year. (I do not like the interface and it is mostly used only for shopping)
4. Sun NXT app - 490rs per year (Regional content News, Movies and TV serials)
Plus Airtel Xstream app contents.

Airtel gave free 3 months subscription for Netflix. Netflix for me, is not TV material (personal opinion). Need to check, mobile only plan. ;)
Tried and uninstalled Sony LIV, AltBalaji, HooQ.. Currently hunting for some aggregator apps regarding English News Channels.

Most of my TV need, is addressed with approx 800rs per annum. My DTH bill used to be 320rs per month. As of now it has only non-reducing single-digit balance.

Disclaimer :- Airtel Broadband monthly charges are extra. I am not sure about Xstream charges in the future.

Thought of sharing below info, please ignore if these are basics for you. Similarly pls add if there are some other good subscription apps.

Have installed the following apps in my Xstream box.

1. Hotstar - VIP Subscription at 365rs per annum (Football / Cricket / TV sops / News / Movies)
2. Zee5 - Comes free as part of my Airtel Gold Benefits. (Movies / Series / Regional Content)
3. Amazon Prime - Comes free as part of my Airtel Gold Benefits for a year. (I do not like the interface and it is mostly used only for shopping)
4. Sun NXT app - 490rs per year (Regional content News, Movies and TV serials)
Plus Airtel Xstream app contents.

Airtel gave free 3 months subscription for Netflix. Netflix for me, is not TV material (personal opinion). Need to check, mobile only plan. ;)
Tried and uninstalled Sony LIV, AltBalaji, HooQ.. Currently hunting for some aggregator apps regarding English News Channels.

Most of my TV need, is addressed with approx 800rs per annum. My DTH bill used to be 320rs per month. As of now it has only non-reducing single-digit balance.

Disclaimer :- Airtel Broadband monthly charges are extra. I am not sure about Xstream charges in the future.
How do I know if I also have been given Prime 1 year & Netflix 3 months subscriptions for free ?? If I open those two apps, there are two options of signing-in & registering...I am not a present subscriber of Netflix & Prime...So, how can I find out If I got these benefits or not ?? I'm a AirTel Gold customer as well...

Last edited:
If you are a Gold member, j
How do I know if I also have been given Prime 1 year & Netflix 3 months subscriptions for free ?? If I open those two apps, there are two options of signing-in & registering...I am not a present subscriber of Netflix & Prime...So, how can I find out If I got these benefits or not ?? I'm a AirTel Gold customer as well...
AFAIK If you are a Airtel gold member, just go to your My Airtel app and go to Airtel Thanks, your free benefits should reflect there.

If you are a Gold member, j

AFAIK If you are a Airtel gold member, just go to your My Airtel app and go to Airtel Thanks, your free benefits should reflect there.
Buddy I am asking about how can I access these subscriptions on the box, not on the phone...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock