Discussion How is it okay to show "gory" clipping in the name of awareness?

The Lonelier Island

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Something that I hate about Indian movies are those tobacco awareness ads. It shows too disturbing content like actual death and some extra portion of skin coming off. It scars the audience. I don't even think these things have any impact on society. No good is gonna come unless government bans these products. Meanwhile non smokers and drinkers like me are impacted because of these disturbing visuals.

What's your take on this? Do you think these things work?

It's the same difference between reading a novel and watching a movie based on that novel. Which one will stick in your memory for long? It's a known fact that audiovisual depiction of anything has a greater impact on the human mind than textual depiction. You think if this description is printed in small text behind the cigarette box, a smoker will even take the effort to read it? Seeing the consequences live in action can change their perception.
As for the complete ban, tobacco contributes a large amount to the economy through high tax rates and even governments of developed nations are compelled to let the tobacco products be manufactured and sold for the sake of the economy.

There is no tobacco products in Bhutan as it is completely banned in that country. It can be done in India but as another FM indicated the country will lose on taxes and also the tobacco lobby is very powerful and a great deal of money is exchanged during election time by the tobacco lobby for whichever party comes to power. Infact considering couple of decade back when people used to smoke freely in public places like bars, pubs, railway stations etc. This has now come down as people are more aware of passive smoking now. Hopefully the younger generation should think about the ill effects of smoking and should come out of it.

It's the same difference between reading a novel and watching a movie based on that novel. Which one will stick in your memory for long? It's a known fact that audiovisual depiction of anything has a greater impact on the human mind than textual depiction. You think if this description is printed in small text behind the cigarette box, a smoker will even take the effort to read it? Seeing the consequences live in action can change their perception.
As for the complete ban, tobacco contributes a large amount to the economy through high tax rates and even governments of developed nations are compelled to let the tobacco products be manufactured and sold for the sake of the economy.
Why are non smokers forced to go through all that? No one smokes or drink in my family. Why should we go through all trauma of disturbing things? It's visually unappealing and it even makes you lose appetite.

Just say don't smoke. Instead of showing things meant for medical personnel. If things we were posted on any non medical forum. It would have been taken down.

Why are non smokers forced to go through all that? No one smokes or drink in my family. Why should we go through all trauma of disturbing things?
You have the answer in your question. Any non-smoker will think twice or thrice before he reaches for the cigarette because of the disturbing visual as you have mentioned. More over we now live in a world full of gore and death. The television media to increase their TRP show visuals of accidents, lynching etc...Think about common people recording the accidents in their mobile instead of helping out the victims. Sorry I am off-topic but the world would take notice only if a disturbing visual is shown.

You have the answer in your question. Any non-smoker will think twice or thrice before he reaches for the cigarette because of the disturbing visual as you have mentioned. More over we now live in a world full of gore and death. The television media to increase their TRP show visuals of accidents, lynching etc...Think about common people recording the accidents in their mobile instead of helping out the victims. Sorry I am off-topic but the world would take notice only if a disturbing visual is shown.
It's better for me to find different means to watch movies then as I am disturbed by the visuals.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock