I&B Ministry files appeal against Arasu Cable

tech_genie

Reaction score
I&B Ministry files appeal against Arasu Cable
Appeal is against court's stay against switching off analog in Chennai

The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has approached the Madras High Court with an appeal seeking to set aside a stay order issued by a Single Judge restricting the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) from disconnecting the cable TV signals of the Tamil Nadu Arasu Cable Tv Corporation Ltd in Chennai metro area as part of stopping transmission of analog cable TV signals in the area.

The appeal is against an interim order passed by Justice V Dhanapalan restricting the Ministry from disconnecting the analogue signal of Arasu Cable, as it has announced through a press release of TRAI.

The TRAI press release last year, said that digitisation should be immediately implemented in Chennai and as part of it, the analogue signals has to be switched off any time.

However, since the appeal was filed in delay, a condone for application has been filed with the Court and a notice was issued to both the parties, according to sources.

Arasu Cable, run by the State government has been operating as a Multi-System Operator (MSO) and applied with Ministry for Digital Addressable System (DAS) licence, to offer services as digitisation has become compulsory. However, the Ministry has delayed taking decision on the issue, alleged Arasu Cable earlier. Following this, the cable TV operator has filed a petition with the High Court seeking its direction to the Centre to take a decision on the DAS licence. Earlier, considering the appeal of Arasu Cable to restrain the TRAI from any action stopping analogue signal of the company, the court observed that the authority is not justified in not taking any decision on the matter.

In its appeal, the Ministry has said that "The learned Judge ought to have granted time for filing counter affidavit in the Miscellaneous Petition No 1 of 2013 seeking for grant injunction restraining the Second Respondent (TRAI) therein from interfering with the transmission of Cable TV signals by the Corporation in Chennai Metro Area and ought not to have disposed the miscellaneous petition at the admission stage itself."

Source: I&B Ministry files appeal against Arasu Cable | Business Standard

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock