Breaking Sony is in talks to buy a stake in Network18

• Thread starter GJ mit
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 635
  • Views: Views 101,735
This is a very minor thing in the grand scheme of things. Sony is trying to get Ambani's power and the reach of Viacom/CBS and TV18 to grow itself. This will also greatly augment the regional markets where Sony is mostly absent.

As @dino29 has pointed out, the ESPN and A&E channels (Sony ESPN, History and FYI TV18) are likely to return to Disney and possibly be rebranded as Star channels (definitely for Sony ESPN).
My assumption

Sony is devastated because of not having 2.0 and Saaho rights. As a revenge they are acquiring Network 18. They will aggressively price regional channels to destroy Zee's dominance in regional space.

Last edited:
My assumption

Sony is devastated because of not having 2.0 or and Saaho rights. As a revenge they are acquiring Network 18. They will aggressively price regional channels to destroy Zee's dominance in regional space.
Let them fix the visibility of Sony BBC Earth and launch an HD Hindi music channel first!

My assumption

Sony is devastated because of not having 2.0 or and Saaho rights. As a revenge they are acquiring Network 18. They will aggressively price regional channels to destroy Zee's dominance in regional space.
I hope reason was that.
I think as easel is loosing power over zee AT&T may come and support as already Turner channels are distributed by zee.
And discovery and Sony to India cast
Disney to star.
Comcast has to do much work to win hearts and minds of people of India 😁😂

I hope reason was that.
I think as easel is loosing power over zee AT&T may come and support as already Turner channels are distributed by zee.
Disney to star.

Turner is not distributed by ZEEL . They were doing it previously now its Indiacast/Viacom who is distributing it.

I hope reason was that.
Disney to star.
Comcast has partenered with Sony tho since Universal Exclusive rights with Sony Pictures and I think Comcast will have a jv with Sony

Well if u read all the articles or even think after own analysis why these mergers r happening then it is evident, certain players r consolidating to build a strong entity on all fronts to counter others.

Now Sony coming with Viacom-CBS is to give tough competition to Star-Disney and Zee or even OTT platforms, there is no point why ESPN or A&E will stand with rivals which will try to grab share of their parent firm. As soon as partnership contract ends, ESPN and A&E r joining into Star-Disney empire. Also i m still interested to see if Disney continues in Tata Sky or other possibilities which r still open.

I strongly think Turner India should form a union with major broadcaster else they will find it impossible to take on challenges which lie ahead
If Discovery joins the Sony–Reliance–Viacom coalition, it will be too big for the market. Also, Turner will be left out and has to hurry to find a partner.

Also note: ETV and Turner are distributed by Indiacast. With Sony joining forces with Reliance/Viacom, this might be cut.

Turner might have to link up with Zee again (they were partners before). Zee has no presence in the kids sector and both &flix/&privé HD and HBO/WB are weak in the English movie sector compared to Star, Sony Pix and Times.
Zee and Turner are perfect partners. Zee is strong in regional entertainment, Turner has a strong content library in English and Kids. Better if AT&T acquire ZEEL.
Globally AT&T/WB is the major challenger to Disney. In India they are small.

Last edited:
Zee and Turner are perfect partners. Zee is strong in regional entertainment, Turner has a strong content library in English and Kids. Better if AT&T acquire ZEEL.
Globally AT&T/WB is the major challenger to Disney. In India they are small.

Turner will never buy Zee, they tried way back to expand in GEC, Movie, Bollywood space but failed ... Remember all those NDTV Imagine, Imagine Showbiz and NDTV Lumiere?

What i wish is Turner or other players to start classic hollywood and foreign cinema chs in India. This segment needs to build upon now on TV as OTT catches up

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock