Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,459
  • Views Views: Views 1,675,376

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
way back 2000s , how come SS shows all the matches irespective of WI, NZ, Ireland, morocco, singapore, etc.
Money matters, but something they have invest to retain the sports name and brand

NAFt4xG.jpg

If it was Sony. They would air in 4 languages with all the court feed on Sony Liv.

Cannot compare sony and star/disney scheduling strategy as latter has invested lot more in popular cricket rights hence to recover the amount and earn profits they give cricket preference across channels while Sony must have invested lot less than star/disney for multiple sports properties hence can give adequate slots to many sports events across channels and manage to recover the amount without worrying much about any single event. When Sony has any India Cricket Series clashing with say French Open then most of their chs will b showing cricket.

Fault lies not in broadcasters but in viewers, day people start watching other sports as avidly as cricket then ratings will be up and broadcasters will show it more. Also there will be lot more balance which will come in price at which cricket rights r sold/bought

Last edited:
some body getting tv rights is far better than none getting the rights like NZ, WI , BAN rights
Last min only Sony bought Pak, SL rights else those rights also blink for indian tv viewers
Star is utter waste , concentrate only on IPL , BCCI rights rather than quality away crickets

Surely Sony made the best decision in buying Sri Lanka Cricket rights. Not only timings of matches suit the Indian Audience perfectly but lots of interesting matches r played there with various teams thru the year including India's tour Of Sri Lanka.

Star/disney also made excellent decision to buy Cricket South Africa rights bcoz timings of matches r again perfect for indian viewers and they play host to great matches all thru the year.

BCCI, IPL , ICC cricket rights r most prestigious for any broadcaster bcoz of sheer ratings these matches get. These r surely not waste. But i feel prices of BCCI, IPL rights should come down as any broadcaster who buys these rights then gets restricted to airing these matches all day across most of their chs to gain good revenue or recover investment.

Viacom18 will surely go for Bangladesh, New Zealand, West Indies and even associate nation cricket rights.

Even i am so irritate & bored to listen Akash chopra's hindi commentery on SS3Hindi. They should bring some more commentators.

We need keep this in habit for long time i think. ( 5 years ipl rights - Star )

I remember few years back sony had experienced radio commentators in their panel for matches India played overseas. Those commentators r the best, their diction, command over language, knowledge is unparalleled. I grew up listening to them on radio. Star/disney and Sony should bring them onboard their commentary panel

way back 2000s , how come SS shows all the matches irespective of WI, NZ, Ireland, morocco, singapore, etc.
Money matters, but something they have invest to retain the sports name and brand

No comparison between situation in 2000s to now. I believe u must be knowing that in 90s BCCI actually paid Doordarshan to televise their matches and now what is the scenario. Essentially earlier rights costed lot less, there was hardly any competition for star india for acquiring rights of sports events, not only this in 90s TV was still not a big mass audience entertainment medium as it is today so broadcasters aired shows or programs catering to the upper middle class and elite class and thereby got premium brands onboard as advertisers. There was no digital streaming too hence ad budgets were largely spent on TV and print.

Those were entirely different time but surely for lot many reasons better times but same is not the case now as so many changes have come about and still things r evolving every year

Viacom18 will surely go for Bangladesh, New Zealand, West Indies and even associate nation cricket rights.
I think Digital Rights is the reason Viacom18 and other Broadcasters too avoid those cricket nation Rights, every Broadcaster expecting both TV Rights with Digital Rights.

still Fancode/Dream11 can do sub-license with Broadcasters but Fancode not interested they want Live cricket exclusively for Dream11 fantasy growth.

I think Digital Rights is the reason Viacom18 and other Broadcasters too avoid those cricket nation Rights, every Broadcaster expecting both TV Rights with Digital Rights.

still Fancode/Dream11 can do sub-license with Broadcasters but Fancode not interested they want Live cricket exclusively for Dream11 fantasy growth.
Amazon Prime also wants exclusively for NZ home cricket.

Back
Top Bottom