Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10,553
  • Views: Views 1,503,784

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
Sports18 1 and Sports18 1 HD are not free. Only handful viewers are getting freeview. Both Sports18 channels and JioCinema has ads during FIFA World Cup broadcast.
Being a new entrant in sports TV Channels business and trying to attract more subscribers towards these channels as well as Jio Cinema, they will be willing to absorb losses in next 1 or 2 years...thereafter they will come up with a strategy which can generate good revenue
Ok I understand, FIFA world cup once in 4 years. but it's not easy recover media Rights acquisition cost like if ICC/IPL events this season fails Broadcasters/OTT Rights holder waiting for next season for recover some cost.

Also Viacom18 have paid money for DTHs to provide Sports 18 free, Studio and Broadcasting fees too. even they have spend huge money for marketing of FIFA on Sports 18 and Jio Cinema. Hope they will not follow overprice strategy of Neo Sports in Sports broadcasting market.

Sony Ten Sports channels too airing FIFA world cup ads, looks like Reliance/Viacom18 spend huge money on marketing/Promotion like media Rights acquisition cost.

Ok I understand, FIFA world cup once in 4 years. but it's not easy recover media Rights acquisition cost like if ICC/IPL events this season fails Broadcasters/OTT Rights holder waiting for next season for recover some cost.

Also Viacom18 have paid money for DTHs to provide Sports 18 free, Studio and Broadcasting fees too. even they have spend huge money for marketing of FIFA on Sports 18 and Jio Cinema. Hope they will not follow overprice strategy of Neo Sports in Sports broadcasting market.

Sports business does need heavy investment to b done , even more so in initial phases of launch of a new sports channel business and recovery/profitability happens in long term that too in small fragments. Sports Business is extremely essential to get more subscribers onboard be it on TV or Digital Medium hence broadcasters are willing to spend huge money in building a robust sports channels portfolio & acquiring key properties for their sports channels and OTT platform

We r discussing about the TV feed of BCCI / IPL matches which a broadcaster gets from the company which handles production of the same. There was no reference to new innovations done by broadcasters to air the match on their OTT platforms .

Anyways even Star India introduced many new things in their OTT streaming of BCCI or IPL matches. Also a broadcaster cannot solely take decisions to implement many technical innovations like adding extra camera angles for the feed ...such decisions are taken collectively by all stakeholders involved in organising/producing that tournament.

Performance and other such Data/Stats option was also available during telecast of IPL on disney+hotstar
The only good thing Star India had was a good distribution team.

Akash Ambani announced that consumers will be able to stream the upcoming IPL in 4K and with multiple camera angle feed. This was not announced by the production team or BCCI. By your logic, BCCI should say no and ask them to stick to the usual feed. Star India didn't propose any of these. That's what I meant few posts earlier, Star India continuously refusing to invest to stream the #1 sports property in India in 4K or at least provide good bit-rate 1080p feed.

Could you please post screenshots of what data/stat was available on Hotstar for IPL?

Which DTH is providing Sports18 for free? What was Neo Sports' strategy?

The only good thing Star India had was a good distribution team.

Akash Ambani announced that consumers will be able to stream the upcoming IPL in 4K and with multiple camera angle feed. This was not announced by the production team or BCCI. By your logic, BCCI should say no and ask them to stick to the usual feed. Star India didn't propose any of these. That's what I meant few posts earlier, Star India continuously refusing to invest to stream the #1 sports property in India in 4K or at least provide good bit-rate 1080p feed.

Could you please post screenshots of what data/stat was available on Hotstar for IPL?

Star Sports has infact made highest investment in sports biz.

Anyways all i have said is that it is a collective decision to add new features to Sports Broadcast Feed which includes things like Multi Cam angles etc.

Star India too aired many events in 4K but it being costly had limited demand on TV. On Digital there are various constraints to providing 4K Feed and when traffic is extremely high for a sporting event being aired on OTT then resources have to be allocated accordingly to provide for a seamless viewing experience for all subscribers. Disney+Hotstar has minimum server or technical issues in streaming of live sporting events on OTT while on Jio Cinema, Sony Liv there r many interruptions faced.

Star india too can invest lot more and provide 4K feed on Disney+Hostar where same is available from source end but it will add up to investments and create more financial load hence it may avoid doing so...more so there is minute audience for 4K.

Viacom18 may provide 4K feed for IPL, as i have said they have great financial resources and will look to build up their sports biz...later on u will see them cutting down on cost and increasing subscription fee. Nothing comes for free and superior viewing experience cannot b provided at low pricing

Star Sports has infact made highest investment in sports biz.

Anyways all i have said is that it is a collective decision to add new features to Sports Broadcast Feed which includes things like Multi Cam angles etc.

Star India too aired many events in 4K but it being costly had limited demand on TV. On Digital there are various constraints to providing 4K Feed and when traffic is extremely high for a sporting event being aired on OTT then resources have to be allocated accordingly to provide for a seamless viewing experience for all subscribers. Disney+Hotstar has minimum server or technical issues in streaming of live sporting events on OTT while on Jio Cinema, Sony Liv there r many interruptions faced.

Star india too can invest lot more and provide 4K feed on Disney+Hostar where same is available from source end but it will add up to investments and create more financial load hence it may avoid doing so...more so there is minute audience for 4K.

Viacom18 may provide 4K feed for IPL, as i have said they have great financial resources and will look to build up their sports biz...later on u will see them cutting down on cost and increasing subscription fee. Nothing comes for free and superior viewing experience cannot b provided at low pricing
I think Jio will stream IPL16 for free to promote their OTT to masses, later they will shift to paid OTT from IPL17 onwards and already FIFA worldcup's TV viewership down (approx 10 to 15%) due to Free streaming.

I think Jio will stream IPL16 for free to promote their OTT to masses, later they will shift to paid OTT from IPL17 onwards and already FIFA worldcup's TV viewership down (approx 10 to 15%) due to Free streaming.
If IPL is streamed for free. TV viewership is doomed. Most people nowadays watches those last few overs only.

Lpl graphics
Produice by ipg

3woMsew.jpg

r2AJ0cE.jpg
RpmT23j.jpg
74qBMlw.jpg

If IPL is streamed for free. TV viewership is doomed. Most people nowadays watches those last few overs only.

No. TV viewership will remain strong....there might b some dip due to Free OTT streaming but it would not have any major impact on overall TV ratings of that event.

OTT Access is still very small bcoz of various reasons, TV is still the preferred medium to watch popular content

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock