Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,096
  • Views Views: Views 1,617,095

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
Side effects of constant rights lost today star sports showed less ads even in ads more upcoming events promo during aus vs sa odi match in star sports 2

Viacom18 will be launching 4 channels including English (2), Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam & kannada?
dTDyAzC.png

There is difference in marketing strategy of Fox’s STAR vs Disney’s STAR to attract viewers and ads as James Murdoch gaves free hand to Uday Sankar to achieve success.

Even earlier bilateral home series attracted less ads and viewer interest has been since going down mainly i believe bcoz of too much cricket being played by Team Indian and below par performance....also brands r cautious about where to spend on buying ad slots and undergone many changes in their marketing strategy over last 5 years.

Anyways whatever be the case Disney will find a strong team to lead them thru the challenges

Side effects of constant rights lost today star sports showed less ads even in ads more upcoming events promo during aus vs sa odi match in star sports 2

This has been the case since so many years, even when Star India (under Fox) had all important revenue generating cricket properties namely BCCI, IPL, ICC events still when they aired ECB, BCB, NZC etc home matches then it hardly had any ads barring say key tournaments like Ashes where too minimal ads got featured.

Also let alone non India matches, as i and @Rd22 anna have been reiterating that since last many years airing of ads has gone down in most of the home bilateral series played by Indian Cricket Team. Already explained reason for the same.

It is good that disney-star has not overspent on buying BCCI cricket rights and even iPL Digital Rights as again former would have attracted less ratings as well as ad revenue thus been a losing proposition and latter would have got good ratings/viewership and even ads but due to acquisition price being extremely high and OTT space seeing upsurge in Freemium model so just ads won't suffice recovering the investment let alone earn profit.

Remember acquiring rights is just one part, there r several other operational + distribution + logistics costs involved in broadcasting the matches to viewers hence further it adds the pressure on broadcaster to find unique ways to try to somehow garner more revenue using different methods. Subscription Price cannot be raised beyond a point on TV / Linear Front while OTT space is already struggling to have a high ARPU subscription model particularly needed for Sports Business if high investments have gone into acquiring key rights.

Good that for Disney-Star now much of the pressure will be released as far as above scenario is concerned and they can use money saved to expand their content offerings in sports as well as other genres on both TV + OTT platform.....so we will finally see less of india cricket highlights played at most slots on various Star Sports channels and gradually more wide variety of sports will get featured on these channels.

Adding on to this what i can say is that if Sony did fab job in bringing IPL to us with all fun + entertaining elements and watching the same on Star Sports seemed lot boring similarly as far as presenting ICC, BCCI cricket events is concerned Star Sports has done excellent job over the years and Sony has rather been poor on this front as we saw when they aired few bilateral series when Indian Team played overseas. I believe Sports18 too will not be able to match up with presentation style of Star Sports .

As far as i am concerned i have stopped watching IPL, Most of the bilateral matches featuring India bcoz too much cricket and poor display of cricket in many bilateral series has reduced the excitement i had for India Cricket 10 years back. If there were no fantasy game apps then i believe even lesser people will watch IPL, BCCI or even other matches.

Nowadays people r even playing on these fantasy apps for local cricket or other sports leagues hence u have organisers of these events trying to bring all these to more viewers via deals with various broadcasters

Star Sports is to be blamed for the decline of cricket. They always made cricket more about cricketers than the actual sport. Just watch any CSK you will see how much Dhoni worship is done. The day he retires most casual CSK fans will stop watching IPL altogether. Than you got national and regional Star Sports channels filling airtime with same star worshipping. It's Kohli, Rohit, Pandya, etc. on repeat.

Have you ever seen a compilation show of domestic matches highlighting our upcoming cricketing Star?

Back
Top Bottom