Discussion Standard Definition Channels PQ issue solved in Technicolor HD HEVC STB

Sorry Bro, forget to check section.

But Yesterday, I feels the picture quality improvement in my tata sky Technicolor HD stb.

I have found noteworthy improvement in PQ for the following SD Channels:
1) Mirror NOW
2) Republic TV
3) Living Foodz SD
4) Sony Ten 1 and Sony Ten 3
5) ABP News (Hindi)
6) DD News (Hindi)
7) News18 India
8) NDTV 24X7

I guess technicolor itself sends a patch file to TS & adtv and other vendors to solve this issue so only issue solved in ts & adtv @ a same Time :love::love:(y)(y):kiss::kiss::hs::win::clap::clap::clap::hrt::hrt::tup::tup:

Gobbinaath Bro Only TS & ADTV Use Technicolor STB So I Think Issue May be Resolved For Both DTH Subscribers.

I returned home after a month today morning. Definite improvement in SD channels, but the HD PQ of Star Sports channels is down from the last time I saw. There is quite a lot of interlacing problem in the IPL highlights

I returned home after a month today morning. Definite improvement in SD channels, but the HD PQ of Star Sports channels is down from the last time I saw. There is quite a lot of interlacing problem in the IPL highlights
Maybe too many users viewing IPL :wink: Is quality of HD channels proportional to the load, i.e. simultaneous viewing, and so tweaked by broadcaster?

This is primarily due to the limitation in technology since the broadcast happens through interlaced scanning rather than progressive scanning though the action was shot in the progressive lines through advanced high definition cameras. Interlaced scanning has those disadvantages especially when they broadcast sports. And for the highlights package, the broadcaster further compresses the content shot during the live broadcast for saving the bandwidth and thereby to reduce the cost. Even during the live broadcast, one can see the interlacing effect when they show slow motion replays especially when the ball is in the air and dark sky at the background with the floodlights being lit. This is because they are attempting to show a fast moving action by reducing its speed and the interlacing phenomenon will be prominently visible here. Add to this the flickering effect of the floodlights at fifty cycles per second which the human eyes cannot capture during normal speed broadcast, but can be captured during slow motion replays.

This can be resolved only when they broadcast sports either in 1080p or at least in 720p. I believe some sports channels in the US broadcast in 720p to overcome the interlacing issue. But in India everything happens only in 1080i. And hence we find this interlacing impact across all the service providers and not specific with Airtel alone.

Last edited:
I see it in Fast Action Scenes in movies too, and also in black / dark backgrounds, especially on Romedy NOW HD Channel, on ADTV. Anyone else observed the same?

This is primarily due to the limitation in technology since the broadcast happens through interlaced scanning rather than progressive scanning though the action was shot in the progressive lines through advanced high definition cameras. Interlaced scanning has those disadvantages especially when they broadcast sports. And for the highlights package, the broadcaster further compresses the content shot during the live broadcast for saving the bandwidth and thereby to reduce the cost. Even during the live broadcast, one can see the interlacing effect when they show slow motion replays especially when the ball is in the air and dark sky at the background with the floodlights being lit. This is because they are attempting to show a fast moving action by reducing its speed and the interlacing phenomenon will be prominently visible here. Add to this the flickering effect of the floodlights at fifty cycles per second which the human eyes cannot capture during normal speed broadcast, but can be captured during slow motion replays.

This can be resolved only when they broadcast sports either in 1080p or at least in 720p. I believe some sports channels in the US broadcast in 720p to overcome the interlacing issue. But in India everything happens only in 1080i. And hence we find this interlacing impact across all the service providers and not specific with Airtel alone.
But such an effect was not there 1 month back, it's only happening now in more frequency than ever before

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock