Discussion Standard Definition Channels PQ issue solved in Technicolor HD HEVC STB

Yeah. Exactly. Black background or for that matter, the black screen in the ground that I mentioned will not look uniformly black, mostly seen when the bowler moves, and will give an impression like the refresh and rearrangement of pixels are happening with some minute delay.
Exactly my point. I thought its happening only with me due to improper dish alignment. In this sense, we are not getting "True HD" quality although ADTV claims it is 1080p. If we watch a 1080p movie (not on DTH) in x264 or x265 format, this problem does not occur.

Last edited:
Exactly my point. I thought its happening only with me due to improper dish alignment. In this sense, we are not getting "True HD" quality although ADTV claims it is 1080p. If we watch a 1080p movie in x264 or x265 format, this problem does not occur.

Oh, no. ADTV or any other DTH operator in India cannot claim that they are providing HD services at 1080p. All are providing services only at 1080i because the broadcasters themselves are sending signals only at 1080i to reduce bandwidth and thereby to save the cost. Now to change this infrastructure to send signals at 1080p for HD services will require humongous cost. So broadcasting at 1080p is not going to happen anytime soon, not even in the US, let alone India.

The 1080p setting available in the HEVC Set Top Boxes in Airtel (Flextronics and Technicolor) is only to make the STB future-ready, in case any broadcaster in the immediate future broadcasts at 1080p. As of now, the broadcasting standard is 1080i@50Hz refresh rate in India. The refresh rate is 60 Hz in the US.

Hence in the STB's picture settings, one should only set 1080i and not 1080p irrespective of being a HD Ready TV or Full HD TV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock