Tata Play duping customer with false claims

• Thread starter Thread starter sanjudat
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 54
  • Views Views: Views 5,318

Should we raise to this unethical business practice?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

sanjudat

Reaction score
I have purchased an HD set-top box connection from Tata Play. Their website claims it has Dolby Audio with double D logo. But found that the box does not support Dolby Audio neither double D certified. It only supports PCM audio. The box cannot identify Dolby signals that certain HD channels offer like MTV Beats HD, Star Movies HD, etc. In searching for more details, I have found that they mentioned Dolby with the logo in the portal but if you click on details it mentions PCM audio. The misleading and fraudulent claims by a company is a breach of trust and illegal business practice. I have raised this issue with them on X but they have not come up with any reply till date. #carefulwhilepurchasingtataplay

Last edited:
But Tata Play have DD & DD+ sound on most of its HD channels. I'm using since many years with Tata Play HD than on Tata Play HD+ also .

But Tata Play have DD & DD+ sound on most of its HD channels. I'm using since many years with Tata Play HD than on Tata Play HD+ also .
Its happening with the new boxes. I have purchased it last month. Previous boxes where you have insert card they do have dolby support with DD sign at back. Please check.

If box support Dolby audio, it is mentioned at the back of the box. Check and ask for replacement to different model if required.

If box support Dolby audio, it is mentioned at the back of the box. Check and ask for replacement to different model if required.
No it does not have Dolby logo. When I told them they came up with the nonsensical idea that the box support Dolby if my tv is Dolby enabled. Even the higher authority is narrating same story. I told them to come and prove their point. They disconnected the call. They are not willing to change the box rather insisting on convincing me with the narrative they set. If you want you can join me on twitter @sanjudat

No it does not have Dolby logo. When I told them they came up with the nonsensical idea that the box support Dolby if my tv is Dolby enabled. Even the higher authority is narrating same story. I told them to come and prove their point. They disconnected the call. They are not willing to change the box rather insisting on convincing me with the narrative they set. If you want you can join me on twitter @sanjudat
Which box do you have? Can you share the model number and front and back photo?

Which box do you have? Can you share the model number and front and back photo?
I am in office right now. I will share the pic tomorrow. I have a fair understanding of technology especially on sound. DD logo is not present anywhere, even the EPG is not showing DD for channels like Star Movies HD, Sony TV HD, MTVBeatsHD etc.... the sound setting is STB is showing Auto and PCM. This is fake.

I am in office right now. I will share the pic tomorrow. I have a fair understanding of technology especially on sound. DD logo is not present anywhere, even the EPG is not showing DD for channels like Star Movies HD, Sony TV HD, MTVBeatsHD etc.... the sound setting is STB is showing Auto and PCM. This is fake.
Set in auto mode in stb and check in your tv or home theatre.

Last edited:
Set in auto mode in stb and check in your tv or home theatre.
If it has DD chip inside then it can detect Dolby-certified incoming audio from channels. In this case it is not. I guess any technician or Tata Play has sold you this idea. I am sorry to say but you are misguided. For your knowledge, pulse-code modulation (PCM) is a method used to digitally represent analog signals and Dolby Audio is a system for encoding and decoding audio signals. Simply PCM format is found in CD and other digital formats and can be played via any sound system. But to play Dolby enabled both the audio format and sound system must be Dolby certified to decode the codec.

Back
Top Bottom