Tata Play duping customer with false claims

• Thread starter Thread starter sanjudat
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 54
  • Views Views: Views 5,327

Should we raise to this unethical business practice?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
If it has DD chip inside then it can detect Dolby-certified incoming audio from channels. In this case it is not. I guess any technician or Tata Play has sold you this idea. I am sorry to say but you are misguided. For your knowledge, pulse-code modulation (PCM) is a method used to digitally represent analog signals and Dolby Audio is a system for encoding and decoding audio signals. Simply PCM format is found in CD and other digital formats and can be played via any sound system. But to play Dolby enabled both the audio format and sound system must be Dolby certified to decode the codec.
yes, latest boxes dont have dolby conversion chip. already dishtv and sundirect dont have the dolby conversion chip in their stbs. In dishtv stbs 2 options available in audio selection. stereo and 5.1 . they called dolby as 5.1 . If you select 5.1 you will get sound in your tv only it has dolby option. Otherwise you will not get the sound, you need to stereo option in the stb sound settings, because dishtv stb dont have the tv setting reading option thro hdmi. But tata play stb can reading tv settings capable. If you select auto option in tata play stb sound setting and connect thro hdmi cable to your tv, if your tv supports dolby then you will get dolby sound otherwise tata play stb change the output to pcm automtically. if your tv supports dolby you cannot increase or decrease the sound thro stb remote. open stb settings >> system details >> tv details >> you can see your tv supporting format details.

yes, latest boxes dont have dolby conversion chip. already dishtv and sundirect dont have the dolby conversion chip in their stbs. In dishtv stbs 2 options available in audio selection. stereo and 5.1 . they called dolby as 5.1 . If you select 5.1 you will get sound in your tv only it has dolby option. Otherwise you will not get the sound, you need to stereo option in the stb sound settings, because dishtv stb dont have the tv setting reading option thro hdmi. But tata play stb can reading tv settings capable. If you select auto option in tata play stb sound setting and connect thro hdmi cable to your tv, if your tv supports dolby then you will get dolby sound otherwise tata play stb change the output to pcm automtically. if your tv supports dolby you cannot increase or decrease the sound thro stb remote. open stb settings >> system details >> tv details >> you can see your tv supporting format details.
Differences between AC3, 5.1, Dolby Digital, and DTS sound types.

AC 5.1 is a generic description of a multi-channel sound system. All of these surround sound types use 5.1 channel decoding to provide surround sound. The 5.1 channels are as follows:
1. Left Front
2. Right Front
3. Center Channel
4. Left Rear
5. Right Rear
6. LFE (Subwoofer)

AC3 is a compression technology term, which is used in place of Dolby Digital. It is essentially Dolby Digital.

Dolby Digital surround sound is compressed which allows more audio information to fit on a DVD disc.

DTS surround sound is an alternate AC 5.1 surround sound which DTS states is not as compressed as Dolby Digital.

Tata Play technicians officially confirmed that the box I own do not support Dolby. 5.1 stereo is not DD. Dolby is a coded bitstream audio. It is a compressed format.

Friends, I request you to validate everything you buy because it is the hard-earned money you are investing in a product. Companies always advertise something that is gimmicky. Choose products according your needs. Do not invest unnecessary.

Well it is upto a company what features they want to provide in their products but yes false claims be it verbally or on in ads/ website should not be made .

Well it seems that in order to reduce product cost they have not signed agreement with Dolby Laboratories to provide Dolby option/ Codec chipsets in their new HD Boxes and that is a sad thing.

Once Tata Play lead from the front in the innovation domain but since last 4 or 5 years they have lagged behind while others like Airtel Digital TV have taken the lead in this space

Guys let me clear something Dolby 5.1 means Dolby company owned 5.1 sound which is officially partners of Airtel and Tatasky. Dish tv doest partner of Dolby so they are saying they can provide only 5.1 sound.
DTS sound which is also surround sound (5.1) delveloped by DTS company. Their bandwidth is more so clarity also good in DTS comparing to Dolby.

But all are 5.1 sound only.

@sanjudat I would ask what I always suggest in such situations. Please file an online complaint on the National Consumer Helpline and make them correct their actions. The screenshot in 1st post proves it is nothing less than misleading customers and false advertising. Granted that will take some of your time but will be worth it.

@sanjudat I would ask what I always suggest in such situations. Please file an online complaint on the National Consumer Helpline and make them correct their actions. The screenshot in 1st post proves it is nothing less than misleading customers and false advertising. Granted that will take some of your time but will be worth it.
Thanks Abhinav. I stay at Kolkata and Tata Play has jurisdiction in Mumbai. I do a job here in kolkata and practically not possible to fight in Mumbai. I do not have fair idea about consumer forum. If I complain will it be in Kolkata or Mumbai court? Please assist.
I request you to take this issue to a height where Tata Play can feel the heat.

I don't recommend taking them to court. They will have the money, time and manpower to handle it. You may not. So it is better to register a complaint at the GAMA portal or the ASCI portal.

GAMA - Grievances Against Misleading Advertisements
ASCI - Advertising Standard Council of India

Both are central government agencies and they take proper actions against such ads. In recent times many ads were taken off-air after complaints on their portals. I believe they are fully online process. Links given below.

GAMA - http://gama.gov.in/
ASCI - https://www.ascionline.in/

Back
Top Bottom