tatasky got additional bandwidth?

They must be saving those TPs since they already have enough free space on Insat 4A. Also as Insat 4A is nearing end of life, they would be wise to have GSAT 10 for backup in case something goes wrong with Insat in the short term.

jdrocks said:
They must be saving those TPs since they already have enough free space on Insat 4A. Also as Insat 4A is nearing end of life, they would be wise to have GSAT 10 for backup in case something goes wrong with Insat in the short term.

As per ISRO, the end of life for INSAT 4A is somewhere in 2018-2020. Lot of time is still there with TS to arrange backup or any foreign satellite.

gautamsky said:
As per ISRO, the end of life for INSAT 4A is somewhere in 2018-2020. Lot of time is still there with TS to arrange backup or any foreign satellite.

You cannot rely too much on those dates as ISRO satellites are unpredictable. Cases in point are the problems faced by ADTV and Sun Direct.

Also TS have been asking for backup foreign satellite for a long time but yet to obtain.

So GSAT is currently best bet for TS as a backup.

Kem Siva said:
Does any dth operator have backup tps..?

No but at least Dish TV has more than one satellite to fall back upon. Also I think none are dependent on ISRO's unpredictable INSAT series except TS and DD

r u saying... tatasky got tps and paying rent to isro, wasting money around 80 crores per year for 12 tps for backup only...?

or isro will waste 750 crore project till insat 4a life end (2018) for backup only...? then what will be the lifetime of gsat 10 from 2018..?

Well if TS has got the TPs from Gsat, they are not using them for now at least. Fact is they still have enough space on Insat to add new channels and more space is going to be made available after complete migration to mpeg4. So the good news is TS's future is secure. God forbid they don't face a satellite malfunction like ADTV or Sun Direct did. They can of course use the additional space to increase the PQ of their SD channels.

Instead of wasting TP space, TS should use it to improve PQ of existing channels as there are lots of complaints for PQ since migration started. Migration may take atleast another 12 months & people cann't wait so far. Now it seems that ADTV PQ is the best among all DTH providers.

May be s is workings for full proof solution to maintain good quality along with implementing current solution of increasing quantity .

Sent from my Connect-2G-2.0

I dont think any DTH will have almost 100% backup as it will be prohibitive. At one end TS shouldn't compromise PQ if it has abundant TP space & on the other hand there is no point wasting so much TP space instead of launching new channels.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock