Discussion The next big merge (Sony, Viacom, Warner, NBC)

• Thread starter Aksgr
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 20
  • Views: Views 4,342

which looks promising ?

• viacomCBS merge with sony

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • NBC with LionsGATE

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • warner media with ViacomCBS

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters

Aksgr

Reaction score
After the merge of discovery & warner media the future merge chain has ignited once again after 3years gap.
this includes amazon buying out MGM. here are possible future deals that will land up in a year or so.
According to WSJ,

1. NBC universal merge with Lions gate
2. ViacomCBS merge with Sony
3. warner media + discovery to buy ViacomCBS

in this thread we will discuss the upcoming possibility of these merge .
do read the below link to know how imaginary merge will have impact

If Warner Media + Discovery entity acquires ZEEL, then the new company will become an equally powerful and equipped competent towards Disney Star. The major feature of the deal is there will be minimal replications of similar channels and other divisions. ZEE is stronger in Indian language contents and movie library. Discovery secure Infotainment genre while Warner Media is an ocean of American movies and entertainment(including Kids). They can easily expand their sports portfolio as the new company will have enough money backing.
The Major drawback of Sony Viacom merger will be replications in Hindi entertainment. Also the company will have less gains from south - especially Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam. But both can form a strong portfolio in English, Hindi, Kids and Sports contents. Warner-Discovery merger with Viacom CBS is better than that of with Sony.
Note: I said the case in India. In international things are different.

Last edited:
I would love ViacomCBS to merge with Sony and I am sure that @dino29 bro agrees with me. Not only in India, it will be a sensible move globally as a big media corporation (ViacomCBS) will be able to acquire Sony’s famous Columbia Pictures, as well as its TV channels worldwide, which are currently seen as niche channels without a big focus on streaming. These could bring new value to the Paramount+ service.

In India, of course, it will be a match made in heaven as Viacom18 and SPN complement each other nicely, where Viacom18’s strength is English GEC, music, kids and regional (and growing its Hindi movie library aggressively) and SPN’s is Hindi GEC and sports. But Hindi GEC, and to an extent Hindi movies and Marathi, are a bit of an overlap. It’s now up to Mukeshbhai to give the green signal.

WarnerMedia+Discovery is already a big merger and another merge with ViacomCBS does not make sense to me. But NBCUniversal (Comcast) acquiring Lionsgate could be a good idea. It could give a leg-up to various properties including the newly-launched Lionsgate Play in India.

Last edited:
I would love ViacomCBS to merge with Sony and I am sure that @dino29 bro agrees with me. Not only in India, it will be a sensible move globally as a big media corporation (ViacomCBS) will be able to acquire Sony’s famous Columbia Pictures, as well as its TV channels worldwide, which are currently seen as niche channels without a big focus on streaming. These could bring new value to the Paramount+ service.

In India, of course, it will be a match made in heaven as Viacom18 and SPN complement each other nicely, where Viacom18’s strength is English GEC, music, kids and regional (and growing its Hindi movie library aggressively) and SPN’s is Hindi GEC and sports. But Hindi GEC, and to an extent Hindi movies and Marathi, are a bit of an overlap. It’s now up to Mukeshbhai to give the green signal.

WarnerMedia+Discovery is already a big merger and another merge with ViacomCBS does not make sense to me. But NBCUniversal (Comcast) acquiring Lionsgate could be a good idea. It could give a leg-up to various properties including the newly-launched Lionsgate Play in India.
Warner media and discovery merge if it happens still they would be missing cable network that has potential to create dozens of shows. It should be either CBS or NBC

If Warner Media + Discovery entity acquires ZEEL, then the new company will become an equally powerful and equipped competent towards Disney Star. The major feature of the deal is there will be minimal replications of similar channels and other divisions. ZEE is stronger in Indian language contents and movie library. Discovery secure Infotainment genre while Warner Media is an ocean of American movies and entertainment(including Kids). They can easily expand their sports portfolio as the new company will have enough money backing.
The Major drawback of Sony Viacom merger will be replications in Hindi entertainment. Also the company will have less gains from south - especially Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam. But both can form a strong portfolio in English, Hindi, Kids and Sports contents. Warner-Discovery merger with Viacom CBS is better than that of with Sony.
Note: I said the case in India. In international things are different.
Doesn't India have any such rules like of US where merge of two big network is un viable as it may lead to monopoly. Colors TV and Sony are big so merge of it may give big chunk of share under one roof. So if Viacom 18 and Sony merge happen termination of one brand is inevitable

If they drop colors or sony brand, then it will be a disaster.
It may be like this
Colors TV and Sony (SET) both should present in Hindi
&
Colors brand to regional GECs
Sony brand to others genres

Colors will expand to all Indian Launguages.

I am the odd one out here. I was wondering an imaginary merge between Zee and Sony. See Zee is weak in Hindi GEC sector whereas Sony is strong in the game on the other hand, Zee in regionals are doing well whereas Sony is weak in this sector. So if both the companies merge then i think it would make a great offering. Sony's sports and kids channels will be in Zee's Kitty. These two companies merge could make them complete overall. Its just an imaginary idea. 😊

Last edited:
“According to WSJ” - Can you please share the article link for the same ? @Aksgr

After the Merger between WarnerMedia & Discovery inc. which will bring “100” biggest brands under a single roof. I’m sure DOJ will not allow the newly combined company to make more “Purchases”.

According to THR, Sony Pictures is not for sale nor it will be spun off as a stand alone company. The company’s strategy is to act as a content supplier to establish streamers. Recently they signed licensing deals with Netflix & Disney. Beginning in 2022, Netflix will have exclusive first-pay-window rights to all Sony Pictures films following after their theatrical & home entertainment release, For their next window, the films will then shift to Disney+ and Hulu as well as to Disney’s linear TV Networks. Sony is quite happy how they’re working right now & the best part is they don’t have any plans to participate in the streaming wars.

Lionsgate better be with Apple.

NBCUniversal should merge Itself with ViacomCBS ( Spun-Off CBS Broadcast & it’s Owned Television Stations into a new Public Traded Co. Just Like FOX Corp. ) Both the company compliment each other, since ViacomCBS has many cable channels around the world - The combined company will have a global footprint, Their streaming service will become more attractive. Both the company owns some struggling cable channels in the US
which they can shut to better concentrate on their core brands which will help them build new IPs.

Disney can buy gaming company but I doubt about media based company!

Overlapping two business is never a good idea!
just look at Star & Disney India Merger - both complimented each other offerings - Disney Branded Channels gave a strong presence Star was weak in & overnight Disney became India’s Biggest TV Broadcaster.

“According to WSJ” - Can you please share the article link for the same ? @Aksgr

After the Merger between WarnerMedia & Discovery inc. which will bring “100” biggest brands under a single roof. I’m sure DOJ will not allow the newly combined company to make more “Purchases”.

According to THR, Sony Pictures is not for sale nor it will be spun off as a stand alone company. The company’s strategy is to act as a content supplier to establish streamers. Recently they signed licensing deals with Netflix & Disney. Beginning in 2022, Netflix will have exclusive first-pay-window rights to all Sony Pictures films following after their theatrical & home entertainment release, For their next window, the films will then shift to Disney+ and Hulu as well as to Disney’s linear TV Networks. Sony is quite happy how they’re working right now & the best part is they don’t have any plans to participate in the streaming wars.

Lionsgate better be with Apple.

NBCUniversal should merge Itself with ViacomCBS ( Spun-Off CBS Broadcast & it’s Owned Television Stations into a new Public Traded Co. Just Like FOX Corp. ) Both the company compliment each other, since ViacomCBS has many cable channels around the world - The combined company will have a global footprint, Their streaming service will become more attractive. Both the company owns some struggling cable channels in the US
which they can shut to better concentrate on their core brands which will help them build new IPs.

Disney can buy gaming company but I doubt about media based company!

Overlapping two business is never a good idea!
just look at Star & Disney India Merger - both complimented each other offerings - Disney Branded Channels gave a strong presence Star was weak in & overnight Disney became India’s Biggest TV Broadcaster.
The two major questions are about NBC and Viacomcbs they can't merge together so who will take them 🤔

WSJ link :WarnerMedia-Discovery Merger Sets Up Rivals for Big Decisions

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock