Breaking Viacom 18 acquires LA Liga rights in India for 3 years

Zee didn't had good experience running and acquiring sports channels in the past.
To be fair, they did manage Ten Sports properly. The only thing is they messed up their relationship with BCCI when they had invested in ICL and BCCI blacklisted them. Without BCCI or IPL Rights they managed to be in contention in India. Because of that and the rights they had posssed only, Sony had payed huge sums of money for acquisitions.

To be fair, they did manage Ten Sports properly. The only thing is they messed up their relationship with BCCI when they had invested in ICL and BCCI blacklisted them. Without BCCI or IPL Rights they managed to be in contention in India. Because of that and the rights they had posssed only, Sony had payed huge sums of money for acquisitions.
Can ZEE TV Network make a Comeback in the Sports Broadcasting Industry?

Zee Sports was a failure. Agree. Even though, they bought ten sports channels and operated them flawlessly.
I don't think they operated flawlessly. They only had one HD channel. It was Sony who had introduced HD feed for rest of the channels. It was under Taj they went for rights of bigger events like FIFA. Even a hybrid movie channel like Sony were going for big events like ICC rights here. Apart from WWE, UCL, Europa League and La Liga. I don't recall them having much bigger events inside there banner exception of 2014 Commonwealth Games. Maybe some cricket too of International board like West Indies, South Africa and Zimbabwe. Credit where it's due. They were the one who introduced me to American Football with LFL and Tour de France.

LaLiga has signed a broadcast deal with Viacom18’s flagship youth brand MTV teamed for the next 3 years. Enabled and supported by Rise Worldwide, LaLiga football tournament will now air exclusively on MTV in India, along with select national and regional network channels and live-streamed on Voot & Jio platforms.
This is the right time for viacom18 to launch a sports channel

Note : hearing from viacom18 people that they are planning a Sports block on MTV similar to sister channel Nick did with teen Nick. It will be called MTV sports .

Ambani eying for IPL rights it seems. But in India to get them you must have experience or something running sports shows.
So network thinking of dedicating a special Sports block all year long called MTV sports. Soon language feed will be added to it during the block time.
68JPEQe.jpg
They should launch jio cricket and jio football satellite channels and btw MTV Sports idea looks good

Last edited:
I don't think they operated flawlessly. They only had one HD channel. It was Sony who had introduced HD feed for rest of the channels. It was under Taj they went for rights of bigger events like FIFA. Even a hybrid movie channel like Sony were going for big events like ICC rights here. Apart from WWE, UCL, Europa League and La Liga. I don't recall them having much bigger events inside there banner exception of 2014 Commonwealth Games. Maybe some cricket too of International board like West Indies, South Africa and Zimbabwe. Credit where it's due. They were the one who introduced me to American Football with LFL and Tour de France.
My wish is that ZEE should launch a sports television channel along with India's leading networks Star, Sony and Viacom. Only then, there will be a competition without monopolies in this arena.

Currently they have no intention of launching sports channel however they will introduce sports block in existing channel. They don't have 24×7 sports content to run channel
Setting up a 24x7 dedicated channel for sports is too expensive

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock