West Bengal govt to launch own TV channel

• Thread starter Thread starter ssparikshya
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 0
  • Views Views: Views 1,720

ssparikshya

Reaction score
KOLKATA: After asking people to watch entertainment channels instead of news channels, chief minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday said that the West Bengal government would launch its own television channel and newspaper, Times Now reported.

Mamata Banerjee said that the proposed channel and the newspaper would disseminate correct information and publicise the activities and achievements of the government.

"Government work is not being highlighted properly. We need our own news channel and paper to inform the people," Mamata Banerjee said at a convention in Kolkata.

Mamata said that the media was more focused on negative news about the government and did not highlight the good work done.

On Friday, the Trinamool Congress chief had asked mediapersons to draw the line and not to enter hospital premises without permission.

Addressing a meeting of the Trinamool Congress-backed Progressive Doctors' Association in Kolkata, she said on Friday: "I love the media. Some people are always waiting to call the media with some news - and especially so for some channels. But let me tell you, don't enter the hospital premises. Even I have a limit."

"Whenever I go to a hospital, unless it is for a programme, I ask for the superintendent's permission before entering. If I want to go inside a ward, I ask the nurses if I should. What if there is some infection in the ward because of me? I don't need to take permission perhaps, but I still do as a matter of courtesy. I cannot go inside operation theatres," Mamata said.

Mamata's advisory on Thursday was to watch entertainment channels. "Do not watch the two television channels that are spreading falsehood against us, watch Star Jalsa, Tara and Channel 10," said Mamata while addressing a government programme at Basirhat in North 24-Parganas.

Last month her government had decided to come out with a list of newspapers to be kept at the state-run libraries.

TOI;OTV

Back
Top Bottom