Why Bollywood HD movies not showing in 16:9 Aspect Ratio

manjunathar24

Reaction score
Why HD Channels not telecasting Bollywood movies in Aspect ratio of 16:9, there is always Black Bars on top and bottom. only Star movies HD is giving movies in 16:9 ratio.:hd

Not really. You might have check in the morning on star gold. They shown upscaled sd movies in late night and early morning shows. If u check later in the day it is proper 16:9.

Yes Shiwesh! Anyhow, there is a black bar at the top and bottom in in 16:9 LED TVs. I think Hindi HD movies are more wider than English HD movies :)

Zee cinema and Star Gold have this type of HD setting. while MOVIES Now have always full screen HD(16:9). yes some time Star movies also have. But i love to watch FULL SCREEN HD only like in serial & movies.

manjunathar24 said:
Why HD Channels not telecasting Bollywood movies in Aspect ratio of 16:9, there is always Black Bars on top and bottom. only Star movies HD is giving movies in 16:9 ratio.:hd

First of all, this is the correct way to present the bollywood movies, i.e. with black bars. To understand why, you need to understand aspect ratios. First of all, most bollywood movies are shot in 'Cinemascope", which has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. Which is much wider than the 16:9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio of HDTV. Therefore the only correct way to fit the entire 2.35:1 picture on a 16:9 (1.78:1) screen, is to have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. The only way to avoid the black bars, would be either to chop off parts of the picture from the sides or to squeeze the picture. Chopping off part of the picture, simply to fill the screen, is something I am sure would be unacceptable to most people. Specially the director/cinematographer, who have worked hard on the framing of each scene of the movie.

For further information on the subject and a better understanding, refer to ->
widescreen.org - Examples from Sound Of Music
widescreen.org - Widescreen & More
widescreen.org - Aspect Ratios

PS: Hollywood on the other hand does have a major share of movies shot in a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. Since that ratio is very close to the HDTV 16:9 (1.78) aspect ratio, channels can present the movies in full screen (i.e. no black bars), without compromising the picture too much.

Ratnesh said:
Zee cinema and Star Gold have this type of HD setting. while MOVIES Now have always full screen HD(16:9). yes some time Star movies also have. But i love to watch FULL SCREEN HD only like in serial & movies.

FULL SCREEN vs FULL MOVIE.
The id*ots at 'MOVIES Now' are showing you an incomplete picture to fill the screen. So you would much rather watch the TV screen Filled, rather than watching the FULL movie?

300px-Filmaspectratios_svg.svg.png

Sanjay ++++

sanjay0864 said:
manjunathar24 said:

First of all, this is the correct way to present the bollywood movies, i.e. with black bars. To understand why, you need to understand aspect ratios. First of all, most bollywood movies are shot in 'Cinemascope", which has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. Which is much wider than the 16:9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio of HDTV. Therefore the only correct way to fit the entire 2.35:1 picture on a 16:9 (1.78:1) screen, is to have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. The only way to avoid the black bars, would be either to chop off parts of the picture from the sides or to squeeze the picture. Chopping off part of the picture, simply to fill the screen, is something I am sure would be unacceptable to most people. Specially the director/cinematographer, who have worked hard on the framing of each scene of the movie.

For further information on the subject and a better understanding, refer to ->
widescreen.org - Examples from Sound Of Music
widescreen.org - Widescreen & More
widescreen.org - Aspect Ratios

PS: Hollywood on the other hand does have a major share of movies shot in a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. Since that ratio is very close to the HDTV 16:9 (1.78) aspect ratio, channels can present the movies in full screen (i.e. no black bars), without compromising the picture too much.

2.39:1 aspect ratio movies are showing in full screen

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock