Breaking ZEEL and Sony merger approved by ZEEL board; definitive agreements signed

• Thread starter Abhinav
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 1,496
  • Views: Views 301,543
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited (ZEEL) on Wednesday announced a merger with Sony Pictures Networks India (SPNI). After the merger, Sony will invest $1.57 billion and will be the majority shareholder with 52.93% controlling stake. The shareholders of ZEEL, meanwhile, will hold 47.07 per cent stake.

The merger was approverd by ZEEL board, and said that which Puneet Goenka will remain the Managing Director and CEO of the merged entity.

We might finally see &TV close down as there are 3 big Hindi GECs under the new company, Zee TV, Sony TV and Sony Sab. For Hindi movies a couple of channels other than the core ones (Zee Cinema, Sony Max and &pictures) might be closed. Otherwise there are not many areas of overlap. Sony already closed its English GEC and music channels so that is not a problem.

Wow, this is simply HUGE! Zee and Sony is about as good a merger as Sony and Viacom18 which didn’t happen. The overlap is actually very less and consists mostly of Hindi GECs, Hindi movie channels and English movies plus Marathi and Bengali to a small extent. Otherwise there are hardly any areas of overlap. Sony’s strength is sports and Zee’s is the regional business. This is an excellent match!
Moreover, both the entities were already profit- making.

Good one but I do have one year zee5 subscription, what will happen to that??;)

We might finally see &TV close down as there are 3 big Hindi GECs under the new company, Zee TV, Sony TV and Sony Sab. For Hindi movies a couple of channels other than the core ones (Zee Cinema, Sony Max and &pictures) might be closed. Otherwise there are not many areas of overlap. Sony already closed its English GEC and music channels so that is not a problem.
I think Sony will retain Pal while Wah will be closed.

@Jaffer7080 bro's dreams are coming true now. Sony and Zee are merging. Now Rajshri, Excel, Trimurti Films, SPN Pictures, Aamir Khan Productions will air on SPN channels, I think the seed of merger was sown long time ago with Sahara Motion Pictures Films and SPN Films digital going to Zee5
Ak7777 bro thanks thanks a lot u don't know what kind of happiness u have given me am waiting for this since long time zee plus Sony means big dhamaka again thanks u mere bhai.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock