Breaking Sun TV to enter Marathi & Bengali regions by next financial year

Wikipedia says Gemini was launched on 1995 by Sun Network. I remember it was available in Cable TV those days with the actual Gemini twins logo. I thought it was someone else channel which got acquired by Sun later. Isn't it?

I too rememer two childrens blowing horn like sound....logo of Gemini TV

I too rememer two childrens blowing horn like sound....logo of Gemini TV
Similar to below image
images

But Sun will never enter Hindi market. Their hands would get burnt if they did that.

Why I am saying this is because in Hindi market there are already strong and established players.

Now if Sun launches a Hindi GEC, out of nowhere, it will be difficult for it to sustain. Unless it is FTA, like Raj TV's Raj Pariwar.

Besides Sun TV's programming format is heavily inspired from the Doordarshan of the 90's. While the Programming format of other Hindi GECs is very different.

Last edited:
But Sun will never enter Hindi market. Their hands would get burnt if they did that.

on which basis you can say that ??
Before launching colors back in 2008 , star plus and zee tv maintained their status quo . Still colors was able to reach in top 3 within a month.

It doesn't matter how many players are there , all that matters is how they play ( content strategy , marketing etc )

Why I am saying this is because in Hindi market there are already strong and established players.

Now if Sun launches a Hindi GEC, out of nowhere, it will be difficult for it to sustain. Unless it is FTA, like Raj TV's Raj Pariwar.

Besides Sun TV's programming format is heavily inspired from the Doordarshan of the 90's. While the Programming format of other Hindi GECs is very different.

Yes, they already cleared about no plans to enter Hindi GEC, But said they look regional options.

Wikipedia says Gemini was launched on 1995 by Sun Network. I remember it was available in Cable TV those days with the actual Gemini twins logo. I thought it was someone else channel which got acquired by Sun later. Isn't it?

SUN had SUN Movies and SUN Music , they converted that to Gemini TV and Udaya TV

SUN had SUN Movies and SUN Music , they converted that to Gemini TV and Udaya TV

No bro. I myself watched Sun TV (pink logo), Sun Music (yellow logo), Sun Movies (green logo) and Udaya TV (green logo) on same time in 1996. Even Gemini was available that time with different logo (blue color twins logo). Later, they switched off Sun Music and Sun Movies.

No bro. I myself watched Sun TV (pink logo), Sun Music (yellow logo), Sun Movies (green logo) and Udaya TV (green logo) on same time in 1996. Even Gemini was available that time with different logo (blue color twins logo). Later, they switched off Sun Music and Sun Movies.

Online proof from a very old article dated 15-Aug-1996 talking about Sun Movies channel and the former Sun Music channel.

THERE IS A SCRAMBLE AMONG southern TV channels to change their satellites: the Russian Gorizont satellites they currently use are nearing the end of their lifespans. From August 1, the Sun TV group is shifting its four channels-Sun T V, Sun Music, Sun Movies (all in Tamil) and Udaya (Kannada)-to Intelsat 703 (Intelsat is a consortium of the governments of 79 countries, including India). Gemini (Telugu) too is likely to join the new platform. The satellite is also being sought by Asianet (Malayalam) and Eenadu TV (Telugu). Tamil channels Raj and Vijay, however, are reportedly out of the race. Meanwhile, in what seems to be partly an attempt to ride piggyback on the southern bandwagon, two Hindi channels, BiTV and NEPC T V, are also moving to Intelsat 703. BiTV, currently off the air, plans to resume transmission in August.

Switching Satellites

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock