1080p V 1080i - What's The Difference? - Here It Is!

mmadhankumar said:
friends 1080p is far far better than 1080i.... 1080p is the international standard for HD... to distinguish 1080p from 1080i, the 1080 picture is called "Full HD"

unfortunately in india HD means 1080i.... but service providers like DirecTV and Dish networks (USA) use 1080p for their DTH service....

the difference between the two is very simple....

1080i - i for interlaced.... so the picture is transmitted as interlaced signals.. imagine your tv as a screen made of many small horizontal srtips, in 1080i first the odd strips are formed and then the even strips are formed thus making a complete picture.... in fast moving scenes 1080i could easily have pixels due to this interlacing technology...

1080p - p for progressive... means the strips are formed one by one in a progressive manner thus making the picture more smoother....

however in order to see a visible change in quality you need to have a big screen of atleast 42inches... in smaller TVs the interlacing cannot be clearly visible....

and in any case 1080i cannot be better than 1080p... anyone who understands the logic behind the "i" and "p" will agree to it....

May be :clap but all i know is that 1080i are designed for satellite use there must b a reason they designed this format for satellite channels. Some experts even say if u use component cable (even though component cables can perform max in 720p) for 1080i rather than hdmi than you will notice the real quality for 1080i bcoz hdmi cables are designed for 1080p video formats.

Gagan said:

i though i will get banned for posting videos in Dreamdth. Good work Ganan bro.:tup

Last edited by a moderator:
DishHD said:
mmadhankumar said:
friends 1080p is far far better than 1080i.... 1080p is the international standard for HD... to distinguish 1080p from 1080i, the 1080 picture is called "Full HD"

unfortunately in india HD means 1080i.... but service providers like DirecTV and Dish networks (USA) use 1080p for their DTH service....

the difference between the two is very simple....

1080i - i for interlaced.... so the picture is transmitted as interlaced signals.. imagine your tv as a screen made of many small horizontal srtips, in 1080i first the odd strips are formed and then the even strips are formed thus making a complete picture.... in fast moving scenes 1080i could easily have pixels due to this interlacing technology...

1080p - p for progressive... means the strips are formed one by one in a progressive manner thus making the picture more smoother....

however in order to see a visible change in quality you need to have a big screen of atleast 42inches... in smaller TVs the interlacing cannot be clearly visible....

and in any case 1080i cannot be better than 1080p... anyone who understands the logic behind the "i" and "p" will agree to it....

May be :clap but all i know is that 1080i are designed for satellite use there must b a reason they designed this format for satellite channels. Some experts even say if u use component cable (even though component cables can perform max in 720p) for 1080i rather than hdmi than you will notice the real quality for 1080i bcoz hdmi cables are designed for 1080p video formats.

Guys there is a good article in cnet. The Url is

1080i and 1080p are the same resolution | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

Go through it. You will know that there is no the difference between the two resolution.

Vadirocks said:
But The Above Image Shows There's Bit Difference! It Seems Like 1080p Has Better PQ

1080P and 1080i are the best available transmission picture quality currently available right now i think. But the images looks so bad and surprised to see such a blurry image even on1080I Or P.( not too sure if our eyes are capable of viewing a picture at this level)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock