1080p V 1080i - What's The Difference? - Here It Is!

Vadirocks

Industry Insider
Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
1080i and 1080p

Confused by all this 1080i vs 1080p HDTV technobabble? We can’t blame you. Consumers today have more acronyms and abbreviations to remember than ever before, so keeping track of all of them and understanding their meaning is a never-ending challenge. Not to worry though, we’ve put together this super simple guide to help make sense of it all.

The Difference

We’ll start with the abbreviations – 1080p is short for 1080 progressive scan, whereas 1080i is short for 1080 interlaced scan. The difference between these two formats is how they’re displayed on your screen. In an interlaced scan, the image is displayed by illuminating odd and even pixel rows in an alternating fashion. Your TV does this so rapidly (each field flashes 30 times per second) that your eyes aren’t capable of noticing the switch, so at any given moment you see what appears to be a fully-assembled picture.

Progressive scan, other the other hand, scans every row of pixels progressively, refreshing every row on the screen 60 times per second. Technologically speaking, this is harder to pull off, but it’s generally agreed that progressive scan produces superior images compared to those produced via interlaced scan. This is why you’ll often hear 1080p touted as “true” or “full” HD by people hoping to differentiate it from 1080i or 720p. The benefits of progressive scan become especially apparent during scenes with lots of motion – just take a look at the pictures below and note the stark differences in clarity and sharpness.

While 1080p video is definitely preferable to 1080i, it’s also worth noting that unless you’ve got above-average eyesight, you probably won’t be able to notice a difference between the two on smaller screens. Generally speaking, you need a TV bigger than 42 inches in order to discern 1080i from 1080p – and that’s also dependent on how far away you’re sitting. Generally, for fast-moving images, 1080p offers superior image quality that prevents the appearance of the screen “tearing” that can occur with 1080i.

Another thing to consider is that nearly all new HDTVs you can buy today are capable of de-interlacing 1080i video signals so they look just like 1080p, which makes it even harder to notice a difference.

The ugly truth about your cable/satellite service’s HD signal

If you’ve noticed that the HD content you watch on your cable or satellite box pales in comparison to the picture quality you get from your Blu-ray player, or you get frustrated when your TV’s info bar shows that you’re watching 1080i even though you have a 1080p TV, you’re not alone in your disappointment. There is a reason for this, however.

The only way cable and satellite companies can deliver 3,000 channels (ok, maybe we’re exaggerating a little), many of them in HD, is by compressing their video signals in an effort to squeeze more information into a crowded pipeline. This compression robs the signal of its pristine clarity and sharpness and can introduce blocky color gradations into the picture. For a highly revealing example of the difference, try tuning into one of your locally broadcast HD stations on both your cable/sat box and through your TV’s tuner (you will need an HD antenna for this). Now switch back and forth between the two and note the difference in quality.

1080p Picture :
KOO5fUd.png

1080i Picture :
cxFkQlE.png

Courtesy : digitaltrends

Vadi Bro, some stupid peoples say that 1080p has better pq than 1080i. But the truth is that you wont notice much difference in PQ may be 1% out of 100% difference in PQ. 1080i term is mostly used in satellite world to define true HD channels were has 1080p is a very common term used every were to define a full HD Video Format . Now 1080i video formats are designed mostly for Satellite channels use and were has 1080p term is used from mobile camera to video games to bluray disk etc. So 1080p is common in our every daily internet use. But i m sure there is not a much Difference in PQ in both video formats.

But The Above Image Shows There's Bit Difference! It Seems Like 1080p Has Better PQ

vadi bro this picture dont even look like 480 p may b u should check some screen shots of 1080 i on the google images. BTW this sample pics just look horrible feels like taken in 1980s camera.

Yeah! If You Have Some Of 1080p & 1080i Pictures Please Post It!

It May Help Us To Understand Exactly Bro!

Check this small video on youtube /watch?v=j29b7B6CSNM in this video sample 1080i has slightly better resolution than 1080p. Bcoz 1080i video formats are designed specially for big screen tvs from 32 inch to 50 inches thats why they need a better resolution to look good in that Big screen.

friends 1080p is far far better than 1080i.... 1080p is the international standard for HD... to distinguish 1080p from 1080i, the 1080 picture is called "Full HD"

unfortunately in india HD means 1080i.... but service providers like DirecTV and Dish networks (USA) use 1080p for their DTH service....

the difference between the two is very simple....

1080i - i for interlaced.... so the picture is transmitted as interlaced signals.. imagine your tv as a screen made of many small horizontal srtips, in 1080i first the odd strips are formed and then the even strips are formed thus making a complete picture.... in fast moving scenes 1080i could easily have pixels due to this interlacing technology...

1080p - p for progressive... means the strips are formed one by one in a progressive manner thus making the picture more smoother....

however in order to see a visible change in quality you need to have a big screen of atleast 42inches... in smaller TVs the interlacing cannot be clearly visible....

and in any case 1080i cannot be better than 1080p... anyone who understands the logic behind the "i" and "p" will agree to it....

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock