DDF Exclusive 9x Media to Shut down english music channel 9XO wef 31th May

Also they hv mentioned in mail that 9XO transmission will b "suspended " so highly possible after covid, NTO situation resolved or eases they will resume 9XO broadcast.

Answer lies in % of audience share hindi music chs and eng music chs enjoy, huge gap so 9X can manage getting viewers in former but latter becomes a challenge unless u hv strong grip to eventually get ads. Niche segment is difficult one to operate in compared to mass oriented genres. Also 9XO had to pay huge amounts in carriage fee while vh1 enjoys reach by just being part of viacom18 bouquet which operators voluntarily sign on hence again difference in managing financial sustainability
Let's say I run Kia Motors. Which audience is coming to buy my car 9X Jalwa's audience or 9XO's audience?

That % excuse is rubbish.

And who ask's 9XO to be a FTA channel? It's alternative cost ₹75 and has poor reach as it's a dth only service.

If Vh1 promotes its own event Supersonic. Doesn't it alternative Sunburn require same? 9X Media doesn't know how to do business it's as simple as that.

Let's say I run Kia Motors. Which audience is coming to buy my car 9X Jalwa's audience or 9XO's audience?

That % excuse is rubbish.

And who ask's 9XO to be a FTA channel? It's alternative cost ₹75 and has poor reach as it's a dth only service.

If Vh1 promotes its own event Supersonic. Doesn't it alternative Sunburn require same? 9X Media doesn't know how to do business it's as simple as that.

Dude why r u angry today man?

Anyways if u run a brand then ur strategy will decide product type and its target audience... Depending on it u will advertise the product on niche or mass ch... Ads can b on both or just one of above as sometimes there is just one type of segment product targets and mostly elite, middle class form target group for things like cars.

% audience share part becomes more critical in niche chs bcoz unless sizeable chunk out of overall minute audience share for such chs is not watching that ch then advertisers find in unattractive to buy premium ad slots there

Regarding not making 9XO FTA and charging high amt it is counter productive in scenario wher music available Free online. What 9X needs to do is tie up with a major broadcaster to distribute their chs.

Dude why r u angry today man?

Anyways if u run a brand then ur strategy will decide product type and its target audience... Depending on it u will advertise the product on niche or mass ch... Ads can b on both or just one of above as sometimes there is just one type of segment product targets and mostly elite, middle class form target group for things like cars.

% audience share part becomes more critical in niche chs bcoz unless sizeable chunk out of overall minute audience share for such chs is not watching that ch then advertisers find in unattractive to buy premium ad slots there

Regarding not making 9XO FTA and charging high amt it is counter productive in scenario wher music available Free online. What 9X needs to do is tie up with a major broadcaster to distribute their chs.
I am really happy actually. I went out shopping after a long time today. I am so happy today. I didn't even haggle. ☺

That's not true when it comes to English music. Record labels pays handsomely to promote artist. You even get to promote concerts and events.

I agree they needed to collaborate with a top broadcaster. Meanwhile if some platform was doing politics by asking too much too much carriage fee. They could have gone paid post NTO. Filling the gap between broadcaster and customer.

They failed because of poor business tactics and vision by 9X Group. Hence we never got or will get an HD music channel in any genre from them.

I really feel bad for their social media team. They were really creative and active unlike even big broadcasters' social media handles.

Last edited:
Off-topic, @DJ Roy bro, which of the four shut-down HD music channels do you miss most?

MTunes HD
Pepsi MTV Indies HD
Sony Rox HD
Nat Geo Music HD.

Will you miss 9XO more than these four?

On-topic: yes, the absence of 9XO from TS (mind you, it was there before but removed) killed the channel. In so many cases it is seen that Airtel is the only one keeping the channel on a ventilator: 9XO, &xplor HD, PTunes/PPlus. Many have shut down and I am afraid that &xplor HD will too.

Off-topic, @DJ Roy bro, which of the four shut-down HD music channels do you miss most?

MTunes HD
Pepsi MTV Indies HD
Sony Rox HD
Nat Geo Music HD.

Will you miss 9XO more than these four?

On-topic: yes, the absence of 9XO from TS (mind you, it was there before but removed) killed the channel. In so many cases it is seen that Airtel is the only one keeping the channel on a ventilator: 9XO, &xplor HD, PTunes/PPlus. Many have shut down and I am afraid that &xplor HD will too.
I miss Nat Geo Music. Cuz, it played indie music which Vh1 and 9XO doesn't play.

I will miss 9XO the most. I have these amazing memories with it since 2012. I specially loved it during One Direction day in 2013.

VH1 sucked as it keep on playing popular songs on repeat. 9XO was the savior before affordable internet as we had no true English music radio station as Radio One was only available in big cities. It played mixed playlist. Only thing sucked about 9XO was some larva cartoon show.

Last edited:
Do you guys think Tata Sky is similarly keeping MTV HD+ on a ventilator, or do you think it is too successful to shut down?

This channel was never available on any popular DTH except Airtel. Only VH1 was some channel which was decent compared to the price point. At list 9X media must have tried to get this channel onboard DTH operators.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock