DDF Exclusive 9x Media to Shut down english music channel 9XO wef 31th May

This channel was never available on any popular DTH except Airtel. Only VH1 was some channel which was decent compared to the price point. At list 9X media must have tried to get this channel onboard DTH operators.
Came very late on dth. Slowly move away too.

What happened to BPlay in past?
2011 to 2014: UTV Stars SD (2011 to 2012: UTV Stars HD)
2014 to 2017: Bindass Play
2017 to today: Disney International HD.
Guys, cable tv exist. Right? 9XO and MTV HD etc. are really popular on cable tv.
Even if ten big cable operators have 9XO, if only one DTH has it, it is still a loss for the channel as it is missing out on audiences.

I am really happy actually. I went out shopping after a long time today. I am so happy today. I didn't even haggle. ☺

That's not true when it comes to English music. Record labels pays handsomely to promote artist. You even get to promote concerts and events.

I agree they needed to collaborate with a top broadcaster. Meanwhile if some platform was doing politics by asking too much too much carriage fee. They could have gone paid post NTO. Filling the gap between broadcaster and customer.

They failed because of poor business tactics and vision by 9X Group. Hence we never got or will get an HD music channel in any genre from them.

I really feel bad for their social media team. They were really creative and active unlike even big broadcasters' social media handles.

Popular Record Labels infact earn money thru chs by licensing content, in radio this is calculated on basis of how many times particular song gets played in a day and on tv maybe it will some other type of system. The kind of promoted content for which ch is paid usually comes from smaller labels or independent artists but i know that Vh1 even airs independent stuff voluntarily just to give artists a platform.

9XO had all things done well ... Right from content, packaging, presentation etc but found it difficult to have proper distribution bcoz of various reasons .... I can say quite surely that smaller broadcasters specially having niche chs find it challenging to compete with rival big networks. 9X should tie up with Star/Disney to get wider reach, they cannot with Indiacast bcoz it will b clubbed with rival and it will b difficult to first strike an agreement or be assured to get better results

About Tata Sky issue, well it is not Q of arriving at decision abt carriage fee but bigger thing is operator can straight away decline carrying the ch and broadcaster cannot force them. NTO bringing price bal is not the answer to latter

Anyways wait 9XO will b back, they have just suspsnded services for limited duration is what i sense

Popular Record Labels infact earn money thru chs by licensing content, in radio this is calculated on basis of how many times particular song gets played in a day and on tv maybe it will some other type of system. The kind of promoted content for which ch is paid usually comes from smaller labels or independent artists but i know that Vh1 even airs independent stuff voluntarily just to give artists a platform.

9XO had all things done well ... Right from content, packaging, presentation etc but found it difficult to have proper distribution bcoz of various reasons .... I can say quite surely that smaller broadcasters specially having niche chs find it challenging to compete with rival big networks. 9X should tie up with Star/Disney to get wider reach, they cannot with Indiacast bcoz it will b clubbed with rival and it will b difficult to first strike an agreement or be assured to get better results

About Tata Sky issue, well it is not Q of arriving at decision abt carriage fee but bigger thing is operator can straight away decline carrying the ch and broadcaster cannot force them. NTO bringing price bal is not the answer to latter

Anyways wait 9XO will b back, they have just suspsnded services for limited duration is what i sense
It's the other way round. How do you think those artist and album blocks work? They pay to promote singles. So that we buy albums. All songs from albums doesn't release as single or has videos. Plus English music tv is generous enough to take responsibility to promote young artist just like Spotify does.

I agree poor distribution killed it. I was hoping it would arrive on Sun Direct. So that I could move away from Tata Sky. I was streaming using Zee5. Unfortunately, it got removed couple of months back. Using MX Player via browser ever since.

Don't blame Tata Sky here. 9XO was missing from my MSO for months in 2015 and 2016 because they couldn't pay carriage fee. That wouldn't be the case if they were a paid broadcaster.

Hopefully, it doesn't shut down.
9XO -> niche ch -> tata sky-> biggest platform for reaching to premium audience hence the importance. Each ch has a target base and has to b present on required platform to get access to their audience
Airtel = Young Audience
Young Audience = 9XO viewers

Sun Direct = English speaking viewers of South
English speaking viewers of South = 9XO viewers

d2h (before merger) = Affordable audience which consists of students and families.
Affordable audience which consists of students and families = 9XO viewers

Remember Zee's plans to acquire 9x media in 2017 or 18 which eventually didn't get materialised. Is there something that has always been problematic for 9x that it once decided to sell off the network which all of us here are missing?

It's the other way round. How do you think those artist and album blocks work? They pay to promote singles. So that we buy albums. All songs from albums doesn't release as single or has videos. Plus English music tv is generous enough to take responsibility to promote young artist just like Spotify does.

I agree poor distribution killed it. I was hoping it would arrive on Sun Direct. So that I could move away from Tata Sky. I was streaming using Zee5. Unfortunately, it got removed couple of months back. Using MX Player via browser ever since.

Don't blame Tata Sky here. 9XO was missing from my MSO for months in 2015 and 2016 because they couldn't pay carriage fee. That wouldn't be the case if they were a paid broadcaster.

Hopefully, it doesn't shut down.

Airtel = Young Audience
Young Audience = 9XO viewers

Sun Direct = English speaking viewers of South
English speaking viewers of South = 9XO viewers

d2h (before merger) = Affordable audience which consists of students and families.
Affordable audience which consists of students and families = 9XO viewers

Bhai if music labels start paying chs for all content then their whole business model will collapse, u r completely wrong. As i hv said only smaller individual artists or smaller labels sometimes pay to get their content features, for bigger ones chs buy content to air. What u r saying holds true for promos which air on chs and not to let us buy albums (which was thing of bygone era) but to make song trend and thus again more money thru licencing on various mediums

About distribution, smaller chs face issue across platforms be it DTH or MSO. Sometimes ch even gets placement blocked bcoz rival offers incentives to operators for giving their ch priority... Diff situation and one needs money or big network bouquet to command better hold

About various platforms offering access to audience invase of 9XO , i referred to prime base which at present tata sky has larger penetration into. If i go by ur logic then r even Free Dish is a possible untapped partner which gives access to audience interested in learning english or inclined towards dancing on eng songs

Bhai if music labels start paying chs for all content then their whole business model will collapse, u r completely wrong. As i hv said only smaller individual artists or smaller labels sometimes pay to get their content features, for bigger ones chs buy content to air. What u r saying holds true for promos which air on chs and not to let us buy albums (which was thing of bygone era) but to make song trend and thus again more money thru licencing on various mediums.
Bhai you don't understand how International music channels works. Record label ask to promote particular artist to sell their albums in particular month. Why do you think we have month specific album promotion on music channels? That's how you make money.

Yes, licensing agreement is also required to air songs. It isn't that expensive as you think.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock