Airtel Xstream Box - Stay Away

Please don’t mind what I am going to state here-
1. DVR and xstream box are based on an entirely different platform. DVR has two tuners while this, like other HD boxes has one.This is a hybrid set top box. AFAIK Recording facility would be made available soon but would be limited to one channel as HD plus boxes as it has one tuner. And no , not every one records and watches, when almost everything is streaming.

2. This remote is programmable as well.

3. The TV channel tab shows all your favourite channels as per its own algorithm. If you want you can change that list.

4. There are no bugs in audio pass thru, even Dolby Atmos is working with Netflix. Sound quality is as good as it should be. Ofcourse if you are expecting Auro 3D I can’t say anything.

5. Poor channel navigation ? How so, If you were using the dvr then a lot has changed in the software for HD boxes as well. DVR’s still have the old navigation system. You need to adapt to the latest. I didn’t find anything wrong with the navigation.

As for nvidia shield, would you compare a phone like Samsung M30 with Samsung S10 ?

From your thread it clearly seems like you bought the xstream box with zero research. You haven’t mentioned a thing about streaming. This box is meant for people who want streaming and DTH services in one box.

PQ of this box is better than the HD and HD DVR boxes as reviewed by many.

Little knowledge is dangerous and as other fm intended to say it looks like you are defaming the brand.

Now as for me I am a tech enthusiast and I’ve been with airtel since the day of their launch and also had tatasky since 2007 again since launch.
I currently have 3 HD DVR’s lying in storage which I don’t use anymore.
I can blame you for this , but those who read the review here found all about it before hand and many questions were answered including its pros and cons. It was clearly stated that recording is currently not working and it has only one tuner.

There are some shortcomings of this box but nothing that you mentioned.

P.S These are hard facts. ( I know this post might be offensive only to you) I get straight to the point. As you asked I have discussed the technical aspects.
I'll reply to you point wise but you seems to be new in the area of home entertainment set up.

You say the remote is programmable. How?
In face I don't need programmable remote in case CEC is implemented well.

Please be specific in your reply.

Anand

1. DVR and xstream box are based on an entirely different platform. DVR has two tuners while this, like other HD boxes has one.This is a hybrid set top box. AFAIK Recording facility would be made available soon but would be limited to one channel as HD plus boxes as it has one tuner. And no , not every one records and watches, when almost everything is streaming.

3. The TV channel tab shows all your favourite channels as per its own algorithm. If you want you can change that list.

4. There are no bugs in audio pass thru, even Dolby Atmos is working with Netflix. Sound quality is as good as it should be. Ofcourse if you are expecting Auro 3D I can’t say anything.

5. Poor channel navigation ? How so, If you were using the dvr then a lot has changed in the software for HD boxes as well. DVR’s still have the old navigation system. You need to adapt to the latest. I didn’t find anything wrong with the navigation.

As for nvidia shield, would you compare a phone like Samsung M30 with Samsung S10 ?

From your thread it clearly seems like you bought the xstream box with zero research. You haven’t mentioned a thing about streaming. This box is meant for people who want streaming and DTH services in one box.

Little knowledge is dangerous and as other fm intended to say it looks like you are defaming the brand.

Now as for me I am a tech enthusiast and I’ve been with airtel since the day of their launch and also had tatasky since 2007 again since launch.
I can blame you for this , but those who read the review here found all about it before hand and many questions were answered including its pros and cons. It was clearly stated that recording is currently not working and it has only one tuner.

P.S These are hard facts. ( I know this post might be offensive only to you) I get straight to the point. As you asked I have discussed the technical aspects.
You said "...Recording facility would be made available soon.."

I asked very specifically to Airtel DTH team what does "soon" mean. Whether it is 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or one year? I had no reply. So if was to watch the NDTV programme Gadget 360 telecast on last Saturday/ Sunday, I have no way to watch it, isn't it?

Anand

You say " ....The TV channel tab shows all your favourite channels as per its own algorithm. If you want you can change that list.."

I agree that 'My channel' is there in the Home Screen. But when you switch to home screen from a dth channel, dth channel goes. It is not a convenient way of navigating a channel. You have + & - CH button on the remote for changing the channel. If pressing the button restricts the non-favourite Channels in 'favourite mode' like in other Airtel STB, it would be of a great convenience. Also, the remote has 'guide' button for bringing channels details on the 'live' dth screen. It is good but requires improvement. It should also have option of filtering out non-favourite Channels for ease in channel navigation.

I understand Xstream box is hybrid of DTH and Streaming and there is no excuse for compromising on DTH features which Airtel it self is providing in its conventional STB.

I am using Nvidia Shield for many years for Streaming. I never had an issue of audio setting of it along with my Home Theater System as I am facing with Xstream box. I'll elaborate in my next post.

Anand

You said "...Recording facility would be made available soon.."

I asked very specifically to Airtel DTH team what does "soon" mean. Whether it is 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or one year? I had no reply. So if was to watch the NDTV programme Gadget 360 telecast on last Saturday/ Sunday, I have no way to watch it, isn't it?

Anand

If you had spoken to the airtel team why did you buy the box at all?
Even if the recording feature is enabled you can only record one channel only as opposed to a DVR. So again why buy it at all.

If recording was so important to someone he wouldn’t have upgraded to the xstream box especially when one already has nvidia shield. You say you are old in this world; if you really bought the nvidia shield by yourself you would have never bought the xstream box.

I'll reply to you point wise but you seems to be new in the area of home entertainment set up.

You say the remote is programmable. How?
In face I don't need programmable remote in case CEC is implemented well.

Please be specific in your reply.

Anand

CEC doesn’t need any programming so if you were so well versed with technology you wouldn’t be asking this question.

Again if you are so knowledgeable and tech savvy, moreover so obsessed with the remote why don’t you have a harmony.

And I am new 😂

You say " ....The TV channel tab shows all your favourite channels as per its own algorithm. If you want you can change that list.."

I agree that 'My channel' is there in the Home Screen. But when you switch to home screen from a dth channel, dth channel goes. It is not a convenient way of navigating a channel. You have + & - CH button on the remote for changing the channel. If pressing the button restricts the non-favourite Channels in 'favourite mode' like in other Airtel STB, it would be of a great convenience. Also, the remote has 'guide' button for bringing channels details on the 'live' dth screen. It is good but requires improvement. It should also have option of filtering out non-favourite Channels for ease in channel navigation.

I understand Xstream box is hybrid of DTH and Streaming and there is no excuse for compromising on DTH features which Airtel it self is providing in its conventional STB.

I am using Nvidia Shield for many years for Streaming. I never had an issue of audio setting of it along with my Home Theater System as I am facing with Xstream box. I'll elaborate in my next post.

Anand

You are so obsessed with the favourites thing. God help you.

Technology evolves, its upto the user to adapt. Features change and some are added and some are removed. No manufacturer of anything can ever satisfy the needs of all. Otherwise competition would cease to exist.

I iterate again, you shouldn’t have bought this box.

You want to continue this charade bring it on. I am not backing out and stand by my words.

I have received the following massage from one Mr Rajnish201

"Anand hi Without complete knowledge of technology plz dont defame the future brand of airtel as I think you are not used to the box that's why you have written in hurry"

His general remark is unimpressive. Instead he should have discussed the technical points I have raised.

I am user of Airtel DTH over a decade. I am also using one of the best Android TV in the world Nvidia Sheild over 4 years.

I don't have any technical bias or other interest as I am a senior government officer.

By the way, I can discussed the technology to a depth but don't have any interest in casual and superficial remarks.

My suggestion would be to stay away with Xstream box.

Anand
I should have stayed away from this too...The damn thing can't play 4k movies & only support FAT32 file system so we can't even copy 4k movies on the external drives...

I'm hugely regretting buying it now...I did read all the reviews here on the box & also watched all the YT videos regarding this box & no-one no-where mentioned that this thing can't play 4k files even though 4k has been written on the box...

And I also agree with you that not many people can afford all the monthly/yearly app subscriptions...I myself am not subscribed to Prime & Netflix...I bought this not because of streaming but because they advertised the box as a 4k box...So, I bought this box to play 4k movies from HDD/pen-drive & to watch normal DTH channels...

Just because most people on this forum are buying the box for streaming does not mean that, all people will need the box for the exact same purpose...I know you had a different purpose & so had I...

Last edited:
@Happy Self , Did you get any Xstream app subscription free for even 1 month with this box ?? They promised me that, they will give Xstream app subscription worth 999/- for free for 1 year...But even after being a Gold Airtel Thanks customer, they didn't give me any subscription with this junk box...I called their phone CC & they told me to email them instead...Lol...

Last edited:
Fire Tv stick is the best streaming device option available as of now. I prefered fire tv stick to Android box after reading some reviews and purchased a 4K Fire TV stick last month. It is functioning smoothly. Not sluggish. Never hangs. The picture quality is awesome though my tv is not 4K.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock