Airtel Xstream Box - Stay Away

Happy Self

Reaction score
Recently changed to Air Tel Xstream Box.

I had Airtel STB with twin tuners with excellent recording facilities. It’s programmable remote was one of important feature which made Airtel STB superior than its rivals.

Changing to half baked product ‘Xstream’ has been a horrible experience.

1. Xstream does not have recording facility. My viewing habit was watching mostly recording programmes/ movies. I think, it is true with many others as timing of favourite programs may not match with your time. With recording facility gone, I have unsubscribed many channels as they are no longer useful 😞.

2. I use STB through my Onkyo Home Theatre System. Xstream claims to support CEC compliant. It is partially working. I am not able to control volume of my Home Theatre System through the STB remote. CEC was not available in earlier model of STB either. However, it was overcome by providing a programable remote😞☹️.

3. With my old STB, I use to surf channel in favourite mode where channels used to change to the next ‘favourite’ channels. This facility is not available in Xstream box.

4. 🕷 Bug in audio pass-through. Poor quality of audio output through Home Theatre System. I am using one of best Android TV Nvidia Shield and there is no problem at all.

5. Poor Channel navigation.

Stay Away!!!

Anand

I had Airtel STB with twin tuners with excellent recording facilities. It’s programmable remote was one of important feature which made Airtel STB superior than its rivals.

1. Xstream does not have recording facility. My viewing habit was watching mostly recording programmes/ movies. I think, it is true with many others as timing of favourite programs may not match with your time. With recording facility gone, I have unsubscribed many channels as they are no longer useful 😞.

2. I use STB through my Onkyo Home Theatre System. Xstream claims to support CEC compliant. It is partially working. I am not able to control volume of my Home Theatre System through the STB remote. CEC was not available in earlier model of STB either. However, it was overcome by providing a programable remote😞☹.

3. With my old STB, I use to surf channel in favourite mode where channels used to change to the next ‘favourite’ channels. This facility is not available in Xstream box.

4. 🕷 Bug in audio pass-through. Poor quality of audio output through Home Theatre System. I am using one of best Android TV Nvidia Shield and there is no problem at all.

Stay Away!!!

Anand
Anand hi Without complete knowledge of technology plz dont defame the future brand of airtel as I think you are not used to the box that's why you have written in hurry

I think most people don't use recording facilities as many programs now available on streaming services such as zee5, Hotstar, voot, Netflix etc.

If that is case then why people pay for DTH subscription??

Streaming services requires separate subscription.
My suggestion to Airtel is to provide facility to stream atleast those channels one is subscribed for.

2. I use STB through my Onkyo Home Theatre System. Xstream claims to support CEC compliant. It is partially working. I am not able to control volume of my Home Theatre System through the STB remote. CEC was not available in earlier model of STB either. However, it was overcome by providing a programable remote😞☹.

Stay Away!!!

Anand
I have received the following massage from one Mr Rajnish201

"Anand hi Without complete knowledge of technology plz dont defame the future brand of airtel as I think you are not used to the box that's why you have written in hurry"

His general remark is unimpressive. Instead he should have discussed the technical points I have raised.

I am user of Airtel DTH over a decade. I am also using one of the best Android TV in the world Nvidia Sheild over 4 years.

I don't have any technical bias or other interest as I am a senior government officer.

By the way, I can discussed the technology to a depth but don't have any interest in casual and superficial remarks.

My suggestion would be to stay away with Xstream box.

Anand

If that is case then why people pay for DTH subscription??

Streaming services requires separate subscription.
My suggestion to Airtel is to provide facility to stream atleast those channels one is subscribed for.
No subscription needed to watch your tv shows like for sony - sony liv, Star- Hotstar,zee5, colors-voot

Stay Away!!!

Anand

Please don’t mind what I am going to state here-
1. DVR and xstream box are based on an entirely different platform. DVR has two tuners while this, like other HD boxes has one.This is a hybrid set top box. AFAIK Recording facility would be made available soon but would be limited to one channel as HD plus boxes as it has one tuner. And no , not every one records and watches, when almost everything is streaming.

2. This remote is programmable as well.

3. The TV channel tab shows all your favourite channels as per its own algorithm. If you want you can change that list.

4. There are no bugs in audio pass thru, even Dolby Atmos is working with Netflix. Sound quality is as good as it should be. Ofcourse if you are expecting Auro 3D I can’t say anything.

5. Poor channel navigation ? How so, If you were using the dvr then a lot has changed in the software for HD boxes as well. DVR’s still have the old navigation system. You need to adapt to the latest. I didn’t find anything wrong with the navigation.

As for nvidia shield, would you compare a phone like Samsung M30 with Samsung S10 ?

From your thread it clearly seems like you bought the xstream box with zero research. You haven’t mentioned a thing about streaming. This box is meant for people who want streaming and DTH services in one box.

PQ of this box is better than the HD and HD DVR boxes as reviewed by many.

Little knowledge is dangerous and as other fm intended to say it looks like you are defaming the brand.

Now as for me I am a tech enthusiast and I’ve been with airtel since the day of their launch and also had tatasky since 2007 again since launch.
I currently have 3 HD DVR’s lying in storage which I don’t use anymore.
I can’t blame you for this , but those who read the review here found all about it before hand and many questions were answered including its pros and cons. It was clearly stated that recording is currently not working and it has only one tuner.

There are some shortcomings of this box but nothing that you mentioned.

P.S These are hard facts. ( I know this post might be offensive only to you) I get straight to the point. As you asked I have discussed the technical aspects.

Last edited:
Is catch up TV available in airtel xstream box?. if so, this is the one "Happy self" needed, right?

Please don’t mind what I am going to state here-
1. DVR and xstream box are based on an entirely different platform. DVR has two tuners while this, like other HD boxes has one.This is a hybrid set top box. AFAIK Recording facility would be made available soon but would be limited to one channel as HD plus boxes as it has one tuner. And no , not every one records and watches, when almost everything is streaming.

2. This remote is programmable as well.

3. The TV channel tab shows all your favourite channels as per its own algorithm. If you want you can change that list.

4. There are no bugs in audio pass thru, even Dolby Atmos is working with Netflix. Sound quality is as good as it should be. Ofcourse if you are expecting Auro 3D I can’t say anything.

5. Poor channel navigation ? How so, If you were using the dvr then a lot has changed in the software for HD boxes as well. DVR’s still have the old navigation system. You need to adapt to the latest. I didn’t find anything wrong with the navigation.

As for nvidia shield, would you compare a phone like Samsung M30 with Samsung S10 ?

From your thread it clearly seems like you bought the xstream box with zero research. You haven’t mentioned a thing about streaming. This box is meant for people who want streaming and DTH services in one box.

PQ of this box is better than the HD and HD DVR boxes as reviewed by many.

Little knowledge is dangerous and as other fm maybe intended to say it looks like you are defaming the brand.

Now as for me I am a tech enthusiast and I’ve been with airtel since the day of their launch and also had tatasky since 2007 again since launch.
I currently have 3 HD DVR’s lying in storage which I don’t use anymore.
I can blame you for this , but those who read the review here found all about it before hand and many questions were answered including its pros and cons. It was clearly stated that recording is currently not working and it has only one tuner.

There are some shortcomings of this box but nothing that you mentioned.

P.S These are hard facts. ( I know this post might be offensive only to you) I get straight to the point. As you asked I have discussed the technical aspects.
That's what I too felt. The original poster did little to no research before buying the box. ( To OP) You cannot compare apples to oranges. But your title is very misleading and discouraging to potential buyers. The integration itself a big yes to many. Though nothing personal bro. Cheers.

Last edited:
Is catch up TV available in airtel xstream box?. if so, this is the one "Happy self" needed, right?
No catch up tv. Even if it would have been available, catchup tv is generally available for select channels and for the past 7 days. What if the op wants to record a program on a channel not part of catchup tv and watch it say a month later.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock