Are you happy with new (2019) TRAI based satellite tv plans?

Are you happy with new TRAI based satellite tv plans?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
People here boasting about what they saved. No one considering what they lost. In 50-75 rupees 50-60 worth watching channels are lost. TV viewing largely depends on one's mood and external factors. Sometime music sounds good sometime interest in sports and so on so forth. Now with the grace of trai one is not allowed to have mood swing at least for a day. And after a day if mood swings again then one is screwed and left with no choice then to watch selected channels which saved him/her meager 50-60 rupees.

Last edited:
People here boasting about what they saved. No one considering what they lost. In 50-75 rupees 50-60 worth watching channels are lost. TV viewing largely depends on one's mood and external factors. Sometime music sounds good sometime interest in sports and so on so forth. Now with the grace of trai one is not allowed to have mood swing at least for a day. And after a day if mood swings again then one is screwed and left with no choice then to watch selected channels which saved him/her meager 50-60 rupees.
100% true, exactly what u said...it depends on the mood on what tv channel we watch

100% true, exactly what u said...it depends on the mood on what tv channel we watch
Yes. Most of people watching TV or don't. Take the remote and tune the channels 1 to 100. 😀 Including me..... And the poll cross 200 tonight.👍

Last edited:
What lost is channel not watched so no matter

Totally agree. Implementation should have been better. But stakeholders dragged to much time in court settling their infighting of revenue sharing and resisting transparency by trai in same breath...it stopped to be funny after sometime...
I believe Jio giga fibre will bring major disruption in cable market much sooner...and even otherwise Netflix, Amazon prime and hotstar have started eating into their businesses...so they will find tough to stand long... without conceding their profit margins to consumer...

Even now Airtel is offering FTTH from Rs 899 with 100 Mbps though their 300 Mbps is slightly costlier they work seamlessly.

Even now DTH have an upper hand as they can always takeoff useful FTA and put good for nothing FTA so customers can never choose any FTA and have to go for costlier packs.

Airtel has already removed scores of FTA tamil channels and even today a popular news channel is running a scroll saying they wont be available via Airtel from 18 Feb so i wonder how people can choose FTA under base pack even if its available. And i saw a thread here on DDF showing funny packs where Gujarat has more FTA tamil channels than packs specific to TN. So at the end, subscribers are the losers and end up paying more and any move the govt makes benefits only the corporate's and not the general public.

If TRAI really wants their new policy to benefit the public then they have to allow the precious discounted rates. TRAI being a govt run agency has to care only about the public's well being and discounts they receive shouldn't be of a concern.

If Channels are able to offer discounts and if DTH are able to deliver a second connection for just a part of the cost, then why should TRAI be irritated? If DTH offers multiple connections at discounted rates then it has to be DTH brands decision and subscribers interest and not TRAI's.

Looks like no-matter what i do or how i select, the minimum cost for 2 connections will exceed Rs 1,200/month (i.e. Rs 14,400/year) whereas my current cost was just Rs 950/month or 10,024/year under ARP (they even offered ARP at Rs 5,999/year which makes it Rs 9,024/year). TRAI has not only made my DTH costlier by Rs 424/month or Rs 4,376/year but also has added a new burden for me by forcing me to keep renewing every month instead of once in a year. Dont people have anything better to do other than renewing on a monthly basis? One of my relative (senior citizen who are basically farmers) from a far-off village called my family and said they dont get anything except Jaya Tv and they dont know anything about internet nor tuning channel#900 to select a pack.

Had they atleast given a 6 months time, the pricing issue and DTH plans would have been settled and something attractive would have come but something like a medical or a national emergency they want all these happen within a few days/weeks time and the only option left for me is to just drop the additional connections and proceed when i really have time. If many people follow the same the DTH will lose revenue and will put the loss on top of subscribers head by hiking the overall costs.

Too many mess in a very short time. :mad:

I believe FTA channels started making much revenue and paid channels wanted to eradicate them which has resulted in this. Now with FTA going missing pay channels can simply sit and reap the benefits. Just come IPL, most people (mainly youngsters) will all tune to paid channels and FTA & fewer watched pay channels will have to close shops and people who really watch them wont find them anywhere. This becomes worse with local cable as they were earlier offering all channels for just Rs 250 or 300 and under new rules to accommodate paid channels will have no option but to remove FTA channels & fewer watched pay channels and there goes the technology revolution off the air.

Even now Airtel is offering FTTH from Rs 899 with 100 Mbps though their 300 Mbps is slightly costlier they work seamlessly.

Even now DTH have an upper hand as they can always takeoff useful FTA and put good for nothing FTA so customers can never choose any FTA and have to go for costlier packs.

Airtel has already removed scores of FTA tamil channels and even today a popular news channel is running a scroll saying they wont be available via Airtel from 18 Feb so i wonder how people can choose FTA under base pack even if its available. And i saw a thread here on DDF showing funny packs where Gujarat has more FTA tamil channels than packs specific to TN. So at the end, subscribers are the losers and end up paying more and any move the govt makes benefits only the corporate's and not the general public.

If TRAI really wants their new policy to benefit the public then they have to allow the precious discounted rates. TRAI being a govt run agency has to care only about the public's well being and discounts they receive shouldn't be of a concern.

If Channels are able to offer discounts and if DTH are able to deliver a second connection for just a part of the cost, then why should TRAI be irritated? If DTH offers multiple connections at discounted rates then it has to be DTH brands decision and subscribers interest and not TRAI's.

Looks like no-matter what i do or how i select, the minimum cost for 2 connections will exceed Rs 1,200/month (i.e. Rs 14,400/year) whereas my current cost was just Rs 950/month or 10,024/year under ARP (they even offered ARP at Rs 5,999/year which makes it Rs 9,024/year). TRAI has not only made my DTH costlier by Rs 424/month or Rs 4,376/year but also has added a new burden for me by forcing me to keep renewing every month instead of once in a year. Dont people have anything better to do other than renewing on a monthly basis? One of my relative (senior citizen who are basically farmers) from a far-off village called my family and said they dont get anything except Jaya Tv and they dont know anything about internet nor tuning channel#900 to select a pack.

Had they atleast given a 6 months time, the pricing issue and DTH plans would have been settled and something attractive would have come but something like a medical or a national emergency they want all these happen within a few days/weeks time and the only option left for me is to just drop the additional connections and proceed when i really have time. If many people follow the same the DTH will lose revenue and will put the loss on top of subscribers head by hiking the overall costs.

Too many mess in a very short time. :mad:
Trai had been given go ahead by supreme Court to implement 85%rule and was also okayed for lowering the ceiling from proposed 19 if trai felt the need.... Both not perused by trai for time being...since it felt that broadcasters will only implement the rule by increasing bouquet price and not correcting ala carte rate....and for not lowering the ceiling.. trai felt it can anyways be done after implementation...after seeing how market behaves.
Regarding multi TV...things have become complicated coz now content/channel charges to broadcasters are decoupled from fixed service charge of providers. Now it has been notified in supreme court that dth operator has no legal ownership over channel pricing....it can only claim service fee per connection which is now 153 ncf.
So in case of multi TV now dth operator can give discount on ncf only. Channel charges are going to channel owner...i.e. broadcasters' pocket. Resulting in no lumpsum reduction in price... So Tatasky for the time being is not charging ncf on secondary connection and giving 10-20 % discount from channel pricing which was actually his further distributor margin....
So if primary connection is priced 500+153 ncf then secondary connection can't be discounted more than 153+ 50 to 100 more... totalling 400 to 450 RS effectively. It will pinch more if primary price is more. One blessing in disguise here for lower priced primary connection is that if it is less than 250+153 then u can get secondary as low as 200. Lowest rate till now were 250....
Regarding time given....well it was bound to happen since all stakeholders were fighting trai for last 2 yes and not getting ready for implementation. They always depended on courts for stays and delays....they very well know that if transition is not smooth then only trai will be blamed and not them although it were providers who actually didn't cooperate and put people in mess at 11th hr.
Last thing about complexity of implementation....well yes it's not user friendly... Mass public doesn't have access and knowledge of internet and lengthy combinations of channel packs now. They need helping hand now but since LCO and dth operators want the plan to fail end user is most neglected now... Sad
P.s. there's no denial of long term pack in trai. It clearly says mode of payment can be pre paid or post paid or even combinations of both. Trai says there's complete flexibility to serving provider for any plan it feels fit. At present dth are avoiding it on their own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock