Bitrate of HD and SD channels

Force1996

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the bit rate of HD and SD channels in tatasky?

Any idea about these bit rates as per international standards?

Re: RE: Bitrate of HD and SD channels

NinadG said:
Any idea about these bit rates as per international standards?

I'm afraid that there are no such mandatory standards.

If there is data available about bit rates being used internationally for SD/HD then we can compare it with bit rates used by Indian DTH. This will help understand PQ/AQ & other tech parameters used by DTH.
Trai/Govt should make some standards/regulation for governing this so that customer's interests can also be taken into consideration.

I read somewhere that earlier Sky UK were using around 18 Mbps bitrate for Sky Sports HD but have recently decreased to 13 Mbps and subscribers are reporting lower PQ than before. They also apparently used to have 4 HD channels per TP but are now squeezing in 5 channels on a TP. Average bit rate for non-sports HD channels on Sky range between 7-10 Mbps.

v_srikanth961 said:
On D2H SD channels roughly uses around 1.8 Mbps and HD channels use around 6.7 Mbps

jdrocks said:
I read somewhere that earlier Sky UK were using around 18 Mbps bitrate for Sky Sports HD but have recently decreased to 13 Mbps and subscribers are reporting lower PQ than before. They also apparently used to have 4 HD channels per TP but are now squeezing in 5 channels on a TP. Average bit rate for non-sports HD channels on Sky range between 7-10 Mbps.

That means Indian DTH are using almost half bit rate as compared to UK or Europe. So we can say that what is HD in India is SD in Europe. This helps to understand PQ level of every DTH. Any idea whether they are using dynamic bit rate...

Force1996 said:
Can anyone tell me the bit rate of HD and SD channels in tatasky?

But logically there are two types of SD channels in Indian DTH Market and which are MP2 and the Latest Generation MP4 H264, and their is also some rumor that some Japanese broadcasters are planing to use the new video codec HEVC known has H265 for HD and 4K channels which will decrease the Bit rate of HD channels to half without affecting the PQ and AQ. Has per some information i would say the standard Bit rate for SD and HD channels would be has follows

MP2 SD channel: 5 to 10 Mbps per channel
MP4 SD channel: 2 to 5 Mbps per channel
MP2 HD channel: 20 to 35 Mbps per channel
MP4 HD channel: 5 to 10 Mbps per channel

:)

Re: RE: Bitrate of HD and SD channels

NinadG said:
That means Indian DTH are using almost half bit rate as compared to UK or Europe. So we can say that what is HD in India is SD in Europe. This helps to understand PQ level of every DTH. Any idea whether they are using dynamic bit rate...

That is because Indians are paying half of the price than their UK counterpart.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock