DDF Exclusive Broadcasters urge Regulator to Remove Pricing restrictions

avipersistent

Television Genius
Contributor
Reaction score
Broadcasters say they allowed to set prices for their TV channels. Distribution services due to declining paid subscriber base.

1. IBDF had asked for elimination of monetary restrictions including price caps ceilings, discount caps and limitations on creation of bouquets for both broadcasters and distribution platforms.
2.Terms and connections of interconnection based on market forces.
3.Reinstate the autonomy to set retail prices and design bouquets.
4.Dishtv asked to bring OTT and DD freedish under the regulations to ensure a level playing field.
5.Tata Sky asked that distributors can review NCF every 6 months .

Source Economic Times 20th Oct 2023.

bUgVXLj.jpg

Whole pay tv will collapse soon, if TRAI removes NTO. All pay tv broadcasters (IBDF) should acquire or start own separate satellite service to eliminate these DPOs (TATA play/ARPUtel etc.)

JioFiber backup plan bill along with most other OTT services are less than most NCF and all the channels of my requirement.

JioFiber backup plan bill along with most other OTT services are less than most NCF and all the channels of my requirement.
Is Jio fiber backup plan (10 mbps) can worked for OTT?

Is Jio fiber backup plan (10 mbps) can worked for OTT?
Can't say. My 30 Mbps itself starts buffering occasionally while streaming something like Disney+ Hotstar and Sony Liv at evening even when just 2-3 devices are connected or when I am downloading a high speed file. For just watching TV. 10 Mbps is good enough to stream something in HD on apps like YouTube. Can't say same about Sony LIV or JioCinema which requires high speed internet for smooth experience.

bUgVXLj.jpg

Nothing new in this as from beginning broadcasters barring few smaller ones have been against NTO regulations bcoz of reasons we have already discussed before, now already in NTO 3.0 many changes have been done which includes removed certain points or making alteration in some rules thereby agreeing upon demands made by broadcasters, DTH operators while MSO/Cable TV operators were against it. Now the NTO 3.0 regulations are not at all beneficial for subscribers compared to what comprised of previous 2 variants which certainly would have been of great advantage to subscribers had broadcasters implemented it in right spirit, infact if broadcasters were always unnecessarily insecure about old regulations and never really adopted it a manner which would have truly benefited customers, operators and even themselves rather they wanted complete freedom in pricing+ bouquet formation thus wanting old system to be back and sadly we r seeing slowly things going in that direction. I just wish tenure of Ex Chairman of TRAI Shri RS Sharma should have been little longer and we would have cetainly seen broadcasters being forced to comply with NTO 2.0 in its original form, he stood by the regulations knowing that these r fair to all stakeholders thus not willing to make unrequired changes to the rules even though broadcasters tried hard for it :(

I m say dish tv 1st dish tv remove all dd free dish channel on their platform.. because Dish tv use all dd fd channel free of cost ..his save money of those channels set-up and tranpander rent .. why Dish tv say now dd free dish adopt under trai regulations?

Why DishTV is so concerned about regulating ott ,how are they comparing OTT with them.NTO is a failed attempt .As a cable tv customer pre NTO period is better than now.We got almos all pay channels for 230rs now it's void

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock