Cable TVs won't go blank after July 10

M.J.Sadiq

M Jahabar Sadiq
Contributor
Reaction score
NAGPUR: Realizing that enforcing the July 10 deadline for submission of consumer application forms (CAFs) by cable viewers in non-metros cities will lead to utter chaos, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has unofficially decided to extend the deadline.

However, this should not prevent you from filling up the forms on priority basis. TRAI can ask your multi-system operator (MSO) to disable your set top box (STB) any day. More importantly, you should insist that the cable operator should allow you to mention the choice of channels in the form. Otherwise the very purpose would be defeated and you will end up paying more.

A TRAI official told TOI on Monday evening that the authority was monitoring the progress of CAF submission in all cities where digital accessible cable TV (DAS) has been introduced. "In Delhi 80% viewers have submitted their forms to their MSOs. We are not going to extend the deadline for remaining 20%. We are monitoring the progress of other cities and whenever we feel that a certain percentage of consumers in a particular city have submitted their forms, the rule will be enforced," the official said.

TOI pointed out to the official that cable operators were simply refusing to allow consumers to choose the channels. Many tell consumers that choice of channels need not be mentioned in the CAF. The official rued that there is no system for enforcement of the TRAI regulation. "Unfortunately, we don't have any mechanism to address individual complaints. Consumers must prevail over the cable operators and media should create awareness in this regard," he said.

On the other hand, Subhash Bante, a LCO, claimed that the government was trying to finish off the LCOs at the behest of pay channels and direct to home (DTH) operators. "Many MSOs own pay channels. This is cartelization. LCOs have moved the Supreme Court against it," he said.

Cable operators charging more: TRAI official

The TRAI official, who is in-charge of DAS, categorically stressed that cable operators cannot charge a flat Rs250 per month from consumers. "Even if packages are not decided, the bouquets should be decided at local level. Why should a person who watches only movies pay for sports channels," he asked. "Consumers need to mention their choice of channels in the CAF to avoid this," he added.

LCOs say it is not possible to offer bouquets to consumers until the MSOs finalized the package with the pay channels. Earlier, MSOs had said that the packages would be ready by June but now they say that it may take months.

If a person wanted to watched only 100 free channels, then MSO can't charge him more than Rs100 per month plus taxes. The operators are also supposed to offer a bouquet of 180 free and pay channels for Rs150 a month. In Maharashtra the total amount comes to Rs145 and Rs195 respectively.

Jagdish Paliya, director of UCN, however, justified the rates saying that the consumer would have to pay Rs450 per month if he watched the channels being offered by his company through DTH.

Cable TVs won't go blank after July 10 - Times Of India

Cable operators charging more: TRAI official

The TRAI official, who is in-charge of DAS, categorically stressed that cable operators cannot charge a flat Rs250 per month from consumers. "Even if packages are not decided, the bouquets should be decided at local level. Why should a person who watches only movies pay for sports channels," he asked. "Consumers need to mention their choice of channels in the CAF to avoid this," he added.

LCOs say it is not possible to offer bouquets to consumers until the MSOs finalized the package with the pay channels. Earlier, MSOs had said that the packages would be ready by June but now they say that it may take months.

If a person wanted to watched only 100 free channels, then MSO can't charge him more than Rs100 per month plus taxes. The operators are also supposed to offer a bouquet of 180 free and pay channels for Rs150 a month. In Maharashtra the total amount comes to Rs145 and Rs195 respectively.

Exactly, when i want to watch English Gec, news, movies, music, soccer related channels why should i pay for some non Tamil channels that i don't watch or don't even understand?

==

I have no personal grudges with the Chennai's most popular MSO SCV, but look at their package for Eg SCV Diamond, only this package has all my choice of channels and this package costs Rs 215,

But this package also has 15 Malayalam, 15 Kannada, 14 Telugu, 25 Hindi so on a total 69 channels that i wont even understand. So why should i pay for these channels (most of them are Pay), if they are removed definitely the package wouldn't cost more than Rs 150, now i can pick this one for my primary TV and get a Basic pack of Rs 100 (its a TRAI's rule to have such a package with all pay channels) for my other TV's.

Ref: http://www.scv.co.in/Das_Packages.pdf

==

Jagdish Paliya, director of UCN, however, justified the rates saying that the consumer would have to pay Rs450 per month if he watched the channels being offered by his company through DTH.

This is the major problem, in an airplane a single coffee costs Rs 70, now if a street shop charges Rs 50 for 1 coffee saying if you go on flight the prices would be higher, what a madness. Why compare with flight when you are selling on land?

So none of these MSO's offer a reasonable price as offered by the pay channels but just fix a price keeping DTH in mind, so even if the channel would cost Rs 5 the MSO would still sell it at Rs 25 because DTH sells it at Rs 30.

TRAI needs to grill people to make things straight or remove monopoly by force and ensure multiple MSO & LCO in every single street so people can choose which one is less and this will automatically bring down the cost owing to the competition.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock