Can Tata Sky 4K be viewed on 1080p TV and HDMI 1.4 cable?

sagar.patnaik said:
No idea about that but Mpeg 4 was present since late 90's. I guess since 1997 im not quite sure.
Although the final specs of MPEG4 were finalized in 1999, it was not until 2006 with Blu-rays & HD-DVD that MPEG4 was used in a consumer delivery format. This was much after the first commercial flat panel TVs in 1997 when Fujitsu started selling their plasma TV.

FACT: TVs with built in Video codec decoding is relatively new. Maybe only for the last 6 yrs or so, if even that much.

I was looking at LG 40 inch 4K TV specifications which is available for around 60k INR. It says HDMI is 1.4. And other 4K tvs also, like samsung 40 inch UHD which is available for around 80k does not specify which type of HDMI port they have...how to ensure while buying, that I am buying right TV...

shiwesh said:
I was looking at LG 40 inch 4K TV specifications which is available for around 60k INR. It says HDMI is 1.4. And other 4K tvs also, like samsung 40 inch UHD which is available for around 80k does not specify which type of HDMI port they have...how to ensure while buying, that I am buying right TV...

In my opinion, if you are looking for a 4K TV, it needs to be 50+ inches for you to notice the additional detail over 1080p. From normal viewing distance, 1080p is more than enough on a 40" screen.

HDMI 2.0 is required to carry full 2160p signal at 50/60 fps with 4:4:4 colour. HDMI 1.4 can carry a 2160p 4K signal only at 30 fps with 4:2:0 colour.

sagar.patnaik said:
Set top box recieves modulated H.265 signals and demodulates it. If your Tv hardware doesnt support H.265 im sorry you cannot play it. I hve given the cnet article link. They asked you to look for H.265 when you buy 4K tvs. Please read the article

I think now that one of our DDF members has installed D2H 4K STB with a HD ready TV and is able to view 4K channel, you will agree that codec is not required on the TV to watch content from HDMI source.

In fact I also extend the logic that even hd channels can be viewed on crt tv although it appears like any sd channel...but in any case displaying on crt tv is never a prob...

We have the resolution setting in all the HD set top boxes now. It is also there in D2H 4K box so it will be there in TS 4K box too. It will down scale the resolution into HD from 4K.

jdrocks said:
I think now that one of our DDF members has installed D2H 4K STB with a HD ready TV and is able to view 4K channel, you will agree that codec is not required on the TV to watch content from HDMI source.

Agreed :)

Dear Members,
My setup: TataSky 4K STB connected to the HDMI(UHD) port of VU 55" 4KUHD TV with the HDMI cable that came with the STB.
Given below are my observations.

Case 1: When STB output is set at 1080p @ 50Hz.
1a:The SD channels look more worse over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 576i)
1b:The HD channels look slight improvement over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 1080i)
1c:The 4K channel looks better than the StarHD1.(Down scaling to 1080p)

Case 2: When STB output is set at 4Kp @ 25Hz.
2a:The SD channels look more more worse over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 576i)
2b:The HD channels look more worse over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 1080i). Lot of judder
2c:The 4K channel looks more worse than the StarHD1.(downscaling to 4K25Hz. I presume TS signal is 4K50Hz) Lots and lots of judder.

Case 3: When STB output is set at 4Kp @ 50Hz.
All the channels, there is picture but no color.

When I changed the HDMI Cable to 2.0, No change in the above observations.

I am totally disappointed with the setup.
TS is insisting that their STB can output 4K@50Hz and that the TV is not accepting 4K@50Hz. TS insists that full benefit will come only with 4K@50Hz.
VU TV is insisting that TS is outputting only 4K@25Hz and that their TV can accept 4K@50Hz.

I am now watching at 1c.
Judder = Speeding cricket ball leaving trails in the screen

sagar.patnaik said:
Dear Members,
My setup: TataSky 4K STB connected to the HDMI(UHD) port of VU 55" 4KUHD TV with the HDMI cable that came with the STB.
Given below are my observations.

Case 1: When STB output is set at 1080p @ 50Hz.
1a:The SD channels look more worse over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 576i)
1b:The HD channels look slight improvement over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 1080i)
1c:The 4K channel looks better than the StarHD1.(Down scaling to 1080p)

Case 2: When STB output is set at 4Kp @ 25Hz.
2a:The SD channels look more more worse over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 576i)
2b:The HD channels look more worse over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 1080i). Lot of judder
2c:The 4K channel looks more worse than the StarHD1.(downscaling to 4K25Hz. I presume TS signal is 4K50Hz) Lots and lots of judder.

Case 3: When STB output is set at 4Kp @ 50Hz.
All the channels, there is picture but no color.

When I changed the HDMI Cable to 2.0, No change in the above observations.

I am totally disappointed with the setup.
TS is insisting that their STB can output 4K@50Hz and that the TV is not accepting 4K@50Hz. TS insists that full benefit will come only with 4K@50Hz.
VU TV is insisting that TS is outputting only 4K@25Hz and that their TV can accept 4K@50Hz.

I am now watching at 1c.
Judder = Speeding cricket ball leaving trails in the screen

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock