Can Tata Sky 4K be viewed on 1080p TV and HDMI 1.4 cable?

pragathe2 said:
Dear Members,
My setup: TataSky 4K STB connected to the HDMI(UHD) port of VU 55" 4KUHD TV with the HDMI cable that came with the STB.
Given below are my observations.

Case 1: When STB output is set at 1080p @ 50Hz.
1a:The SD channels look more worse over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 576i)
1b:The HD channels look slight improvement over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 1080i)
1c:The 4K channel looks better than the StarHD1.(Down scaling to 1080p)

Case 2: When STB output is set at 4Kp @ 25Hz.
2a:The SD channels look more more worse over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 576i)
2b:The HD channels look more worse over the earlier 1080i STB.(upscaling from 1080i). Lot of judder
2c:The 4K channel looks more worse than the StarHD1.(downscaling to 4K25Hz. I presume TS signal is 4K50Hz) Lots and lots of judder.

Case 3: When STB output is set at 4Kp @ 50Hz.
All the channels, there is picture but no color.

When I changed the HDMI Cable to 2.0, No change in the above observations.

I am totally disappointed with the setup.
TS is insisting that their STB can output 4K@50Hz and that the TV is not accepting 4K@50Hz. TS insists that full benefit will come only with 4K@50Hz.
VU TV is insisting that TS is outputting only 4K@25Hz and that their TV can accept 4K@50Hz.

I am now watching at 1c.
Judder = Speeding cricket ball leaving trails in the screen

TS is insisting that their STB can output 4K@50Hz. For this to happen, hdmi2.0 cable is required. But TS has given hdmi-high speed(1.3 or 1.4) cable only.

pragathe2 said:
TS is insisting that their STB can output 4K@50Hz. For this to happen, hdmi2.0 cable is required. But TS has given hdmi-high speed(1.3 or 1.4) cable only.

cable has nothing to do with it. You just need the HDMI 2.0 port with normal HDMI cable. Check whether ur tv has hdmi 2.0 port or not.

pragathe2 said:

Your findings are consistent with reality.

TS STB can output 4Kp50 signal but your TV needs to be compatible with 4Kp50/60 input to view the signal properly. I was using the TS supplied HDMI cable with my setup - STB to 4K home theatre receiver with TS cable, receiver to 4K TV with HDMI 1.4 cable. For me picture was OK, but I was getting lots of audio drop outs. I replaced both cables with HDMI 2.0 18Gbps certified cables and everything is fine now.

Thanks jdrocks,
My TV is VU's LTDN55XT780XWAU3D. hdmi port is labelled as "HDMI(UHD). It is not clear whether it is 1.4 or 2.0.
btw what model is your tv?

pragathe2 said:
Thanks jdrocks,
My TV is VU's LTDN55XT780XWAU3D. hdmi port is labelled as "HDMI(UHD). It is not clear whether it is 1.4 or 2.0.
btw what model is your tv?

Sony 65" X series.

From your description, I would say your TV is not supporting full 4Kp50 signal. Thus you are getting no colour with this setting. From my experience, the cable also plays a factor in getting optimum picture and sound, meaning it is preferable to have HDMI 2.0 cable.

Effective January 1, 2012, all HDMI products cannot make any reference to HDMI version numbers.

HDMI Cables
Using HDMI version numbers in the labeling, packaging, or promotion of any cable product is prohibited.
This includes releases of the HDMI Specification (for example, HDMI 1.4, 1.3, etc.), interim version numbers
(for example, HDMI 1.4a, 1.3a, etc.) and CTS (Compliance Test Specification) version numbers (for example,
1.4a, 1.3c, etc.).
Cable products that refer to version numbers are considered non-compliant and subject to trademark
enforcement actions.

jayanji said:
Effective January 1, 2012, all HDMI products cannot make any reference to HDMI version numbers.

HDMI Cables
Using HDMI version numbers in the labeling, packaging, or promotion of any cable product is prohibited.
This includes releases of the HDMI Specification (for example, HDMI 1.4, 1.3, etc.), interim version numbers
(for example, HDMI 1.4a, 1.3a, etc.) and CTS (Compliance Test Specification) version numbers (for example,
1.4a, 1.3c, etc.).
Cable products that refer to version numbers are considered non-compliant and subject to trademark
enforcement actions.

Whatever the case, the reality is that the HDMI cable supplied by TS was causing me problems in signal delivery! Furthermore, it is a fact that HDMI cables do have differences and compatibility issues. I remember, I had to change HDMI cable earlier when I first opted for a 3D TV as the previous cable was not supporting 3D signal. I faced a similar problem now with my upgrade to 4K.

jdrocks said:
Whatever the case, the reality is that the HDMI cable supplied by TS was causing me problems in signal delivery!

If they are providing High Speed HDMI Cable/High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet there won't be any problem for 4k,3D or deep colour as per hdmi standards

jayanji said:
If they are providing High Speed HDMI Cable/High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet there won't be any problem for 4k,3D or deep colour as per hdmi standards

Theoretically there shouldn't have been a problem with a high speed cable. But it is fact that I did have a problem which went away after replacing the cable. Maybe the TS cable supplied was faulty.

got the techs loud and clear.
now I am forcing the dealer to take back the tv that is not supporting 4kp50.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock