CEO Explains Niche Channel Concept via Email

skystorm

Reaction score
Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Thank you for writing to me.

Tata Sky has been consistently finding ways to overcome the capacity constraint, even at huge cost, to ensure that our subscribers get content of their choice, delivered to them in the best possible quality. Since January this year we have added 29 new channels, SD & HD and will continue to do so in the coming times too. It is possible that some of these new channels may not be of interest to you due to their language or genre. However, you will appreciate that we have to cater to all audiences across age groups and geographies in the country.

Often we come across very rich, high quality content that we know some of our customers would appreciate. However, in some instances this content comes to us outside of the existing commercial deals we have with the broadcasters. Our options are to either not carry this content or to carry it at the lowest possible price we can negotiate with the owners of this content and leave the option of subscription to our customers.

Keeping in mind this opportunity, we thought of creating a Specials category early this year. Our customers who renewed since Feb ‘13 were informed at the time of renewal and our web sites and other communications also carried information about this.

Star Premier HD is the first such Specials channel that we are introducing.

We hope you will understand our endeavour to offer you a choice of content you may like, outside of our existing commercial terms with the broadcasters.

Many thanks for taking the pain of writing to me.

Warm regards

Harit Nagpal

MD & CEO

Tata Sky Ltd

skystorm said:
Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Thank you for writing to me.

Tata Sky has been consistently finding ways to overcome the capacity constraint, even at huge cost, to ensure that our subscribers get content of their choice, delivered to them in the best possible quality. Since January this year we have added 29 new channels, SD & HD and will continue to do so in the coming times too. It is possible that some of these new channels may not be of interest to you due to their language or genre. However, you will appreciate that we have to cater to all audiences across age groups and geographies in the country.

Often we come across very rich, high quality content that we know some of our customers would appreciate. However, in some instances this content comes to us outside of the existing commercial deals we have with the broadcasters. Our options are to either not carry this content or to carry it at the lowest possible price we can negotiate with the owners of this content and leave the option of subscription to our customers.

Keeping in mind this opportunity, we thought of creating a Specials category early this year. Our customers who renewed since Feb ‘13 were informed at the time of renewal and our web sites and other communications also carried information about this.

Star Premier HD is the first such Specials channel that we are introducing.

We hope you will understand our endeavour to offer you a choice of content you may like, outside of our existing commercial terms with the broadcasters.

Many thanks for taking the pain of writing to me.

Warm regards

Harit Nagpal

MD & CEO

Tata Sky Ltd
I think this response is about not providing Star W Premier HD to Megapack HD customers who subsribed/renewed after Feb2013

What is the use of mega hd pack, they always said recharge ur account with me ga hd and u will get all the upcoming channel in this pack.

I think its fair enough if few channels like Ten Golf, HBO Hitz & Defined ,Star World Premiere , Romedy Now+ are in category of niche channels but who tends to decide that which channel will come in niche channel or this could become a new scheme to loot the customers and what maximum price they can charge for these channels 60(HBO & SWP),140 RN+),200 (Ten Golf) or 500

Ts will decide it as special based on commercial deal, and agreement between broadcaster .

But instead of excluding special category channel from mega pack. Ts can hike mega pack and include all future addition.

Its really great that u receive personalised reply from Mr harit nagpal

I think people will be ok to pay 60 if we get atleast 4 - 5 channels. But only one channel for 60 is too high and a Joke

bond_bhai said:
I think people will be ok to pay 60 if we get atleast 4 - 5 channels. But only one channel for 60 is too high and a Joke

Bro if you want to watch premium content from USA in INDIA you have to pay premium price as 1$ costs almost 65 rupees. There is no way around. ;)

By the way did you noticed that you are getting the same content (at almost same time) at less than 1$ per month. So it is upto the subscribers whether they want it or not.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock